The harsh global folio!

I started investing globally sometime in 2018. The current portfolio is shown below. The buy and sell rules are the same as that for my Indian portfolio which is shown here. The long term goal is to generate >10% returns in USD.

Entry strategy:

• Shares are acquired in 3 equal tranches with difference of atleast one month between two traches
  • Single sector allocation < 25%, single stock allocation < 20%

Exit strategy:

• Shares are sold in 3 equal tranches, similar to the buying rule

Exit reasoning:

• Flawed thesis
  • Better opportunity in another company (switching)
  • Expensive valuation
Companies Weightage (cost basis)
AB InBev (NYSE: BUD) 3.50%
Berkshire Hathaway 10.00%
Disney 5.00%
Fairfax India Holdings 10.00%
Google 10.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
Starbucks 5.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fd 10.00%
Cash 39.50%

AB InBev: Its the largest global beer manufacturer owning brand such as budweiser, leffe, corona, stella, etc. They are really big in South America, and most of the incremental growth is coming from Africa, China, and emerging markets like India. The recent trend of craft brewery is definitely a risk, along with a moderately levered balance sheet (net debt/EBITDA ~ 4.8). Its not a very strong growth company but is trading at close to decadal low valuations, that’s why the 3.5% weightage.

Berkshire: This is a replacement for S&P 500. They own a very diverse pool of businesses and are trading at close to their lifetime low valuations, thats why the 10% allocation. I try to buy when its trading close to book value and sell at >2x P/B. Key risk is their insurance business which can be killed if negative interest rates persist for the next 2 decades.

Disney: Despite being a bluechip for decades, they have consistently found growth levers. Their content library is very valuable and their recreation parks business (though cyclical) is a monopoly. Most of the incremental growth in parks business comes from China. They are yet to enter India because its not a big enough market for them. With their recent foray into OTT, they have managed to find a way to capitalize their huge content library. Plus they have a quasi monopoly in sports television through ESPN. They have managed to grow their subscription base in US, are already the biggest OTT player in India (hotstar). Basically, they can grow earnings over 10% which is why the 5% allocation.

Fairfax India Holdings: I have written in detail about this investment vehicle here. Their current share price assumes that Bangalore airport has lost 50% of its value due to corona. Their public investments are quite reasonable. Long term stated management goal is to grow book at 15% USD. With the management fee, net shareholder returns should be in excess of 12.5%. At some point, their share price will go back to their NAV. Key risk is that their NAV might come down to the current share price.

Google: Monopoly in digital advertising, growth continues at 15%. Their multiple lines of business offer reasonable optionality. Not so expensive on valuations. Key risk is the cyclical nature of advertising business, which they have avoided so far because they have been gaining market share over the last decade from traditional advertising. The 10% allocation is because of reasonably high growth rates along with reasonable valuations.

Philip Morris: Keeps innovating in their tobacco business. Valuations are very cheap for a monopoly, however growth days are behind, thats why the 2% allocation. Pays most of earnings as dividends.

Starbucks: This has been a great turnaround story post 2008. Their growth rates are close to 10% with most incremental growth coming from China. India is another market where they are growing quite fast through their partnership with Tata. They cater to the high end customer segment and have a long growth runway.

UBS ETF CH-SMI: This is the Swiss market ETF and my way of playing the Swiss innovation story (pharma, Nestle, and financials). The 5% allocation reflects the high dividend yield (~3%) but low growth potential.

Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fd: This is Vanguard emerging market ETF (VWO). Emerging markets used to be the darling in 2000-2010 decade, however the euphoria has gone in the past decade. This is my way of playing the China growth story (China has a ~44% weightage in this ETF) and the Chinese market is trading super cheap. Incremental global growth is coming from emerging markets and they are also trading cheap, that’s why the 10% allocation.

I keep on exploring about more businesses and want to deploy the cash in suitable companies. My current watchlist that are outside my assessment of fair value comprise companies like Dropbox, Markel, Uber, Visa, Mastercard, Nestle, Walmart, Geberit, etc. Once they come to my buying range, I will deploy the rest of capital. I look forward to more fruitful discussion about my portfolio companies and also other global businesses :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hi @harsh.beria93 I am also thinking of investing in US market and recently opened trading account. I just wanted your opinion on the valuation since you have invested from some time. e.g. I was interested in Google, Facebook etc. I was going through one of video from Ashwath Damodaran where he mentioned that Facebook is still cheap on valuation.

Hi! Before looking at valuations, it might be a good idea to first understand the length of growth runway and assess what future growth rates might look like. Facebook and google have done really well in the past decade as they have taken away advertising market share from incumbents and also grown the market. Now that digital advertising is a larger pie, future growth will be more limited given that both already have a humongous market share. Also, amazon is eating the advertising pie now, its one of the fastest growing players in digital advertising.

I chose alphabet over facebook because alphabet also has other business units which have tremendous optionality potential. For example, I use google earth engine at work and have seen other researchers also adopt it fairly quickly. One can paint a blue sky scenario where google earth engine starts eating market share of ESRI. There are plenty of other products which are unmonetized but offer tremendous value to its users (google scholar, google flood forecasts). In essence, its not impossible for alphabet to grow their earnings per share at 12-15% over the next decade (they have grown sales at >18% in the last decade). Their net margins is ~21%, so a 20x multiple will give an EV/sales of 4x. Currently they start trading at ~6.5x EV/sales, which is not cheap. And these are their long term EV/sales.

Market currently is pricing in quite a lot of future growth. I don’t have a very nuanced understanding of facebook.

1 Like

Hi Harsh,
that quite an action plan.
Do give look at PPFAS LT fund they invest 35% of corpus in International funds.
Hope it helps. All the best.

Hi Harsh,
here is some analysis on google v/s facebook. Hope you find it useful https://www.vltavafund.com/analyzy/googlefacebook

I found this stuff interesting as well in terms of thinking on google other bets , slightly dated though https://ensemblefund.com/quarterly-investment-market-update-first-quarter-2019/

3 Likes

As of yesterday, I sold my stake in Starbucks at a price of ~$100. This increases cash in my global folio to 44.5% (I am struggling to find new ideas, any help please!).

Starbucks has proven to be a very good business managing to grow sales at >10% over the last decade and they have a very long runway given their limited penetration in China and barely any presence in India (especially in tier 2 and 3 cities). Over a business cycle, in good times this business can generate profit margins of ~14%.

Given the very long runway and good management, I can pay upto 25x P/E translating into EV/sales of 3.5. I bought it during corona meltdown at share price of ~$60 (EV/sales on trailing numbers were ~3.5x).

I would like to sell at >40x P/E (EV/sales ~ 5.6) given the long ruway available for the company. With sharp re-rating, the trailing EV/sales now looks at ~6x. Now sales are a bit depressed because of corona lockdown. Lets do crystal ball gazing, assuming that corona stabilizes and quarterly sales runrate of $7bn comes back in CY22 which means I am selling at ~4.9x EV/sales (which is lower than my ideal sell price, I might be leaving a lot on the table). I will track how future turns out, I will be happy to buy it back if quarterly sales of $7bn comes back sooner.

The updated model portfolio is below.

AB InBev 3.50%
Disney 5.00%
Google 10.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Cash 44.50%
4 Likes

I have been looking myself for decent investments in this market, now that valuations are full - thinking of biotech as a theme given after vaccine uptake, there may be an additional selloff in this space.
I am looking at AVROBIO (newly listed at $14-$15, i think it should be atleast $25 in the medium term), Akero Thereupatics, Alector Inc, Epizyme Inc.

1 Like

As of yesterday, I created a 5% position in Markel Corporation. The updated portfolio is below

AB InBev 3.50%
Disney 5.00%
Google 10.00%
Markel Corporation 5.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Cash 39.50%

Markel is a specialty insurance company with a diversified investment book, both in listed and unlisted companies. They have a very rich track record of over 3 decades. I have captured the business essence in the thread below. My own expectation is growth in book value of 10% which is management’s stated goal. The figure below captures key metrics and how company has grown. My exit price will be ~1.8x P/B, the current number is ~1.2x P/B.

1 Like

Hi

What’s your opinion on Spotify. It seems to be giving an interesting opportunity just like Netflix when it was not that big. My investment thesis here is that it might become the audio world of search in future and leader in podcasts and music (it already is). The subscription model is same as that of Netflix.

In the same way i feel at current levels FB is undervalued with both instagram and whatsapp dominance rising. Whatsapp pay and facebook shopping/marketplace are add on.

1 Like

Hi Harsh. My question is why go global when one can keep invested in local or maybe in other developing countries? I mean if we think about US they are already rich where 1/20 th of world population holds 1/5th of world’s wealth and they just cannot keep going up and up that ladder. Their GDP grows at 2% or so and their population might grow at 0.9% or so… In all as per growth rate approximation they might grow at 1.1% CAGR for next 20 years in gdp per capita which might be about 21-22% percent in 20 years from current levels. Even though they have got innovative companies, those companies cannot grow globally at a phenomenal rate against the GDP growth rate of 2%. It also seems very insightful to see that USA GDP grows today exactly around the growth rate of world GDP. Even Mr. Munger warns of a “wretched excess” which is also relevant from the fact that their market cap to GDP is at record levels. In all, a follow up question is - What kind of a return are you expecting on your global folio?

1 Like

I have not been able to be convinced about the competitive durability of Spotify, will it have more than 50% market share after 10 years? It’s valuations assumes that it will be the leading music platform over a long time period, I have not seen so many product based applications with a really long runway. Maybe my understanding is lacking, but this is not an obvious kind of bet for me, that’s why I don’t have any position in Spotify.

I have been playing the digital advertising story through alphabet, plus alphabet has a lot of other bets which can potentially be a large revenue driver in the future. I perceive alphabet to have a longer growth runway than Facebook, and more resilient cashflows.

These are narratives, international investing doesn’t mean US investing. I have a much larger bet on emerging markets (China, India). I haven’t had much time to learn more about other emerging markets like Vietnam, Bangladesh, and it’s also hard to get access to these markets.

Another point is that the country of listing has nothing to do with the business profile. An Indian IT company derives most of its revenues from US and Europe, similar thing happens with a generic pharma company or an auto ancillary. It doesn’t matter where a company is listed, what matters is how much cash can a business generate. And India doesn’t have a sole authority or a right on future cashflows.

1 Like

As of today, I have sold my stake in Alphabet primarily because of rich valuations (~7x EV/sales). This raises cash level to 49.5%. Updated portfolio is below.

AB InBev 3.50%
Disney 5.00%
Markel Corporation 5.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Cash 49.50%

Facebook looks very reasonable at current valuations. Earnings growing at 30% and options in the form of Oculus, monetizing Whatsapp.

Key risks are Apple’s new privacy prompts with iOS14 and anti-trust lawsuits.

1 Like

As of today, I have reduced my allocation in Disney from 5% to 2%. This increases cash to 52.5%. I am currently able to find a lot of value in global insurance companies, good ones with high ROEs are still trading at only a slight premium to their book values. I am currently studying Allstate corp, any feedback on this will be quite appreciated :slight_smile:

Companies Weightage
AB InBev 3.50%
Disney 2.00%
Markel Corporation 5.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Cash 52.50%
1 Like

Hey Harsh,
Really admire you sharing your portfolio and the knowledge sharing.
Have you looked at Brown Forman (Jack Daniels manufacturer)?
It is a highly profitable company with very good margins.
Valuation wise it is not too overpriced.

I invested some portion in Haier Smart Home Co., Ltd. (690D.DE
Opportunistic play.
Deep-dive 2020-2: Haier Smart Home Co Ltd D-Share

Plus some Chinese companies looks attractive. Many are in pressure due to various reasons - Trump order prohibiting Americans to invest in these, and sell off from recent margin calls by a company.

Any thoughts ?

1 Like

As of today, I added 2% position in Uber. Updated folio is below.

Companies Weightage
AB InBev 3.50%
Disney 2.00%
Markel Corporation 5.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Uber Technologies Inc 2.00%
CASH % 50.50%

Cash is still quite high, looking for opportunities to deploy soon.

2 Likes

As of today, I increased my position in AB InBev from 3.5% to 5%. This is because of their good delivery on deleveraging, potential disposal of less profitable business leading to more deleveraging and reasonable valuations.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-04/ab-inbev-said-to-explore-1-2-billion-sale-of-german-beer-brands

Updated portfolio is below:

Companies Weightage
AB InBev 5.00%
Disney 2.00%
Markel Corporation 5.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Cash 49%
4 Likes

As of today, I added Dropbox as a new position (2% position size). Its a very good business with 80%+ gross margins trading at reasonable valuations (~4x EV/sales). Key risk is increased competitive intensity from peers like Microsoft and Google. The closer peer for them is Box and Dropbox always used to trade at a premium. However, recently they have started trading at a discount to Box. Lets see how future unfolds.

Companies Weightage
AB InBev 5.00%
Disney 2.00%
Markel Corporation 5.00%
Philip morris 2.00%
UBS ETF CH-SMI 5.00%
Dropbox Inc 2.00%
Cash 47.00%