VP Productivity 2.0: Emerging Moat Deep-Dive Template - Processors

Hi Donald,

I have been little off the investment grid for last 3+ yrs owing to personal reasons. Given the opportunity market has presented am trying brush off the rust and get going. Will be glad to take this opportunity to learn from seniors. Count me in.

3 Likes

Hello Donald sir

This is my first post and i am very much eager (excited) to volunteer and learn what it takes to build the confidence in any business.

1 Like

Wow Raj! Welcome Back! And thanks for volunteering here!
Now that you are available, and eager to dust of rust - request you to take over as the Deep-Dive Program head at VP :slight_smile: for whatever that is worth…ha ha.

Yes, we ourselves will learn a lot in this process, those who take it on themselves to be useful. This is a Template that has got the thumbs up from Mr D - in that it will help us attack a business with full 360 degree radars on. This is a good System2 thinking prodder …is what he said…it will help us spot holes in narrative-led persuasive stories and get attention focused on Facts. He also said with every new business that we attack with this, the Template will get more refined - in 6 months we should have a very fine deep-dive mental model - that will have few holes. But yes, we need more templates specific to certain sectors say Financials for e.g.

Having somebody like you driving this - is just awesome - hopefully I will be freer to start work/provide energy to other sector specific templates - I am trying to get others to create.

Guys/Gals - participating in this thread. Raj is a wonderful guy and senior VP Member to have as a Mentor. I hope everyone knows how to check Member activity at VP. Just click on Raj Panda post - on his name. His short profile appears. Click on that and you reach his user Summary page, Activity Page, Badges granted, etc. You can check yours too :slight_smile:

PS: Raj - All the best on your Starch Free Rice Cooker product. Interesting product for East/South Indians. My wife may be interested :slight_smile: Great to see the Entrepreneur streak. Will talk more when we connect

7 Likes

Thanks for a hearty welcome. I feel, I have been lucky to be investing at right time to escape with decent results even without putting that much effort in. Beginners luck probably. It’s time to put that extra effort in, which I hope am capable of. I have been watching the incredible jump in quality inputs & deep dive from lot of seniors so the ‘title’ you confer appears little bit scary :wink: But am willing to expose the chinks in my armor & hopefully make that jump.

6 Likes

I would like to volunteer in any capacity deemed fit by moderators. I have updated my profile accordingly and shall soon upload my picture too.
Thanks!

1 Like

Soham,

Let me try to explain in simpler words!

Even I didn’t understand what was required at the first instance! On the basis of the notes (transcribing is meant) what Donald wants to develop is a Stock Story (a regular word for the old Valuepickers). http://www.valuepickr.com/stories/pi-industries/ refer to this…on similar lines but with the updated thought process and enhanced template. With every contribution the goal is see to the any missed points or difference of opinion can can be consolidated by the senior valuepickers before its published.

Sure you can be no 3 as @inValuable has also already raised his hand for BR.

1 Like

@inValuable hello.
@Vpayasam Hey thanks!
I understood it later, when I went through your updates and cross-connected with what Donald said.

2 Likes

Dear All,

After much wait, please find attached the first deep-dive analysis template on Axtel. Thanks @Donald for the review and feedback.

Divyansh_Axtel Deep Dive Template_v4_final.docx (6.7 MB)

Adding @rupeshtatiya to the post; @rupeshtatiya Hope we have done justice to the discussion that you and Donald had on Axtel. Request your inputs if we have misunderstood any of the points that you had discussed, or we missed capturing in the attached document. There are certain points where we needed some clarification(s) which I have highlighted in the document itself. Request your inputs on the same so that we can share an updated and completed document for everyone’s reference.

I will be posting another post to tell about the experience and learning, but dont want to delay sharing the template further.

31 Likes

Thanks a lot to the entire team for putting together such a deep dive template for the business !! The immense hard work pain-staking efforts is clearly visible for all of us. It is also a reminder to novice investors (like me) that such a deep dive is the only way to form a comprehensive view of the business and is a key factor to manage (or limit to the extent possible) risks of unknowns that could impact the business.

Just a side note - While not relevant to the current analysis for Axtel, re the template, I am assuming the risk of any related party transactions (related group entities in same or associated business, inter-company transactions, etc) will be captured as part of Corporate Governance (pt 3c) in the Management Quality section. In my experience such elements require closer scrutiny as promoters use this route to retain or transfer profits to privately held entities (be it MNCs or Indian promoters diverting business, trading arms, etc) and hence I use it as a separate monitorable item.

1 Like

Thank you @divygupta for putting this together. I am yet to go through it fully, but its brilliant and efforts put in are evident. Lots learnings for noobs like me. And special thanks to @Donald for initiating this thread. Will go through it in detail, productive use of the lock-down :smiley:

3 Likes

Everyone participating here, please parallely make sure to participate actively in the Deep Dive Mental Models thread too. Its imperative that both learning go hand-in-hand - appreciation for what attributes move the needle the most.

There is some meaning contribution started by new folks. Seniors please actively participate and help move the discussion/knowledge sharing forward

1 Like

Hi Donald, count me in as well for the next exercise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear All,

Please find attached the updated Axtel’s deep-dive template story post discussion with @rupeshtatiya. Have marked the changes in track change for easier reference.

Thanks Rupesh for the discussion and sharing his insights.

Divyansh_Axtel Deep Dive Template_v5.docx (6.8 MB)

28 Likes

@divygupta

This is a superb effort, I could not have transcribed the notes any better.

I went along with templated interview with @Donald but was not very confident about either its utility or whether one will be successful in transferring the business understanding to a complete stranger in comprehensive manner.

Well, you have completely dispelled my skepticism.

The template works and you know about Axtel as much as I do.

I would highly recommend people to do this and there is no better or faster way to ramp up on a business. This is especially true because we have so many people, tracking so many businesses and one can quickly ramp up about the business from the person who knows it best.

Bravo @divygupta once again!

12 Likes

Is the volunteering exercise still going on ?
Hope I did not miss the bus :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi Donald,
I am new to investing world, I would like to volunteer, please count me in too for next exercise.

1 Like

With that ringing endorsement of first the quality of @divygupta Divyansh’s effort, and the Template - that it works, I have nothing more to add :wink:

Just that …somehow the Divine directed you and this fledgling VP Volunteer effort to merge together at the same time. Grateful for that.

Time for the Bharat Rasayan volunteers to pull their Socks up, and deliver an equally inspired job back at the thread.

1 Like

Very much on!
If you seriously want to qualify, you have to take every previous post seriously, then you will know what you have to do, first things first.

At the moment we are identifying natural leaders for this exercise - who have the essential qualities needed for the job. have enough time on hand and a generous heart - so they can create the next rung of leaders. Divyansh Gupta has qualified with flying colours - you should know that by now, else you are not serious about this exercise.

We are also trying to identify the really serious/hungry volunteers. Self-motivated folks, those who want to work hard, and have the time/passion to upgrade themselves quickly by responding quickly to well-meaning push from seniors, on their own initiative. @Parul has already qualified. Only those who participate meaningfully in Deep Dive Mental Models thread - that’s another simple pre-requisite.

We are not asking for brilliance, or investing acumen. We are asking for - show us your hunger/show us your passion - and be sure we will lift you up and help you upgrade quickly with personalised attention! Others will also learn by observing these stand-out early adopters/performers closely - we obviously have our own bandwidth limitations.
Caution: This thread participation requires seriously hungry, passionate guys; Don’t volunteer just because it seems like a good idea.

5 Likes

Great job @divygupta!

After reading your output, I went back and compared with @Donald’s pic of Axtel notes (posted in the very first post of this thread). I am not sure how much KT was done by Donald or how much you ran around yourself to better understand Axtel, but I don’t think I could have transcribed the way you did with what Donald provided. :smiley: You really got into Rupesh’s brain and nicely captured his views on Axtel.

I had Axtel in my to-dig-further list. But never worked upon it. The first thing I read about Axtel is your document. I think now I know as much as Rupesh knows about Axtel. :smiley: You saved Rupesh and me some time as I would have called-up Rupesh and bugged him on getting better understanding on Axtel.

The only thing that I wasn’t able to get is why getting invited for competitive bids points towards a differentiated business model for Axtel. Not that you didn’t capture it well but may be I am missing something but just wanted to call that out. I will connect with Rupesh/Anant to better understand it.

Really appreciate your hard work and the amount of time that you spent into producing this crisp deep-dive document.

Now I am looking forward to deep dive work on Bharat Rasayan. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

7 Likes