VP Productivity 2.0: Emerging Moat Deep-Dive Template - Processors

@divygupta A starting template would be super helpful. I could pick up BR later tonight when you are done with Axtel!

Super! @divygupta
Look forward to your output - without any talk-through or handholding; we can always help your refine. Ths will tell us a few things:

1. Whether the Filled up Template - is readable/decipherable - from short-form notes
  2. The efficacy of the Template for extracting/providing the “meat” or essentials of a business/management scrutiny.

While transcribing the Headings can be used for Story Flow.
Customer Industry Trend/Outlook
Business Slotting
Elevator Pitch
Business Attractiveness
Business Model Vulnerabilities/Strength
Management Quality
Risk MItigation
you get the drift…

Subheads/data to be used for illustrating why something is rated high, medium or low.
Basically its like getting inside the Analyst Head to capture how he rates the business on many different parameters including management passion, special DNA and the like.

For Undervauation
It could be a few paras written using the codes to tell the undervaluation story, what kind of undervaluation & why. Whether the business is likely to exhibit Operating Leverage, Any overhangs on the Stock, what will support the stock price if any. Liquidity should always be mentioned - current volumes, average volumes. Why analyst may be comfortable holding the stock for 1-2 years or NOT.

Basically try to capture the View that the Analyst has about undervaluation

All the best - to those attempting a first-cut without any hand-holding (safe distance!). Great that you guys are taking up on the cues :slight_smile: Love that.

2 Likes

Hi @singhpoojahariom24 Pooja
Thank you for your response. Good to see you cared to update your profile - it’s a good fit.

Wonderful to see you raise your hand for this initiative. We will give all the support needed to enable a few more like you to become better at the analyst game. Hope we can live up to your expectations!

Will you be good and invite in some of your friends who you know are working in the industry/otherwise and are interested to become good at thinking about a business/management and evaluate from multiple angles.

VP will be a richer place if we can incentivise more of women investors.

2 Likes

Please find attached two versions of the template:

1. Tried to replicate the template that was shared by Donald for Axtel and populated the information
  2. Modified one: My attempt to structure the template, in line with the suggestions by DonaldDeep Dive Template_20200326 1650.docx (24.0 KB) Deep Dive Template_modified_20200326 1650.docx (23.7 KB)
13 Likes

Dear Donald and Hi friends,
I’m Hari a novice investor interested to contribute in any way I can. And I feel it would be helpful to learn under the of a professional like you so that we all can grow as a team. I can also chip in with some contributions.

Thank you
Dr hari

1 Like

Thanks for the template Divyansh! I was working it in Excel and luckily checked the thread back. I will be finishing the Bharat Rasayan (by EOD) and submitting back here for further refining! As a second step I will add any points that could be probably be value adding.

2 Likes

Hello @Donald i am eager to volunteer, looking forward to learn from the team.

@divygupta
Hey Divyansh,

Many thanks for the sincere effort put in.
I realise I miserably failed in communicating what i meant by transcribe - NOT hand-drawn template to Digital. I would have done that myself and not asked Members to do my own work :slight_smile:. [just that nowadays I am spending more time off-screen deliberately, so I like to make these by hand; once I tried it, I have become addicted]

But no sincere effort ever gets wasted - I am sure some of this template would have got imprinted in your mind - at the very least what questions to ask about a businesses attractiveness/and management quality, whats special about the folks, and the like. What kind of questions to think about - when we want to think more granularly on undervaluation, and the like.

Transcribe help - means - help translate from short-form coded answers recorded (of responses made by analyst) as the Fund Manager asked him to discuss the business - but guided somewhat with leading questions - what do you think - Is this a screaming or high undervaluation? The analyst usually justifies is high undervaluation with some pithy comments that are recorded, in short form.

The idea is for you guys to decode the short form into long form running text - under each heading - and that will read like a compact report on the business! And I thought I communicated well :frowning_face: Tomorrow there will be a Take2 recorded for BR with Analyst2. Then Analyst 3,4. Then we have 4 different answer-sets/views on the same business by 4 different senior analysts. That hopefully will alert us to missing angles in my version. It will help everyone do a more well-rounded effort. The well-rounded effort then officially contributes to BR official Stock Story at VP - suitably edited/refined by Senior Members :smile: That was the intent…

Really sorry. You get A+ for effort and sincerity. I will call you tomorrow - and explain properly in person. Then, you are going to do the same “speel” with others, so they know exactly what to do from here on. Please write in and reassure me - that you did learn something for the effort.

5 Likes

Hey @Donald Was working on @divygupta 's Template only. Will try and work on a report format. Have never done it before but will try my hand at it till you give the download to Divyansh. Will understand the gaps from him tomorrow then.

If you could point towards a sample, that would be great.

1 Like

Thanks Gursimran.
No samples. Trying this first-time. Getting everyone to answer to a specific set of leading questions on the business.

Yours and Divyansh’s will be the first samples :slight_smile:

1 Like

Updated my profile! I am an IT professional.
I am thankful to value picker community for providing plethora of knowledge for each of the stocks. I am beginner into this world but curious to learn and apply the knowledge in my investment world. Looking forward to collaborate more in this community. Thanks

@Donald, Here comes Bharath Rasayan!

Though after finishing this I think I understand what you mean! A bit late though the 3 hours spent was definitely enriching :grinning: I think a quick call would really help and clarify it further.

2020-03-26_Deep Dive_Bharath Rasayan_V1.docx (89.0 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks Vamsi. You will get a download from Divyansh or GurSimran.

Had a good intense session with Divyansh today morning. Will go through another round of iteration with him - so that we are in complete sync; and then he can transfer to others.

Meanwhile - others, please hold your horses. I am hopeful that what will come out will be pretty satisfactory, and will illustrate what is expected.

Meanwhile enjoy Bharat Rasayan Take2. With Dhwanil Desai. Have tried and extracted how he thinks about this business.
(Wait before transcribing this. Let BR Take1 transcribe come out properly. Then everyone will get a better idea of what is needed.)

6 Likes

hi,
i would like to be volunteer, please count me in…

1 Like

Sir I am a Novice but wants to learn. I would like to volunteer in this exercise as it will be a great learning experience for me. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Vamsi,

A bit late to the party, can I work in parallel and alongside you (@Vpayasam ) to build on BR Take 1?
Of course I am sure, that your version will not require much work, but perhaps you may find it easier to work in a team of 2 and bounce off ideas with each other?

That way, @Donald will have less work cut out for him (hopefully?)

Let me know your thoughts.

In the meanwhile if Vamsi is not done with his Excel template, I hope this might help others.

@Vpayasam let me know if I hijacked your initiative.
Deep Dive Template.xlsx (85.1 KB)

1 Like

Dear Donald and Hi friends,
I’m Mahesh a novice investor interested to contribute in any way I can.

Thank you

1 Like

I would like to volunteer too

1 Like