The harsh portfolio!

As of today, I have created a 2% position in Aptus Value Housing which reduces cash to 3%.

I have been working on Aptus’ value proposition for the last couple of years and have been very impressed by the kind of lending model they have built. Their niche lies in maintaining a balance of high yielding business loans (20%+) and medium yielding affordable housing loans (14-15%), which gives them higher blended yields (17%) while maintaining an ultra low cost structure (2.5-3% opex). Their cost structure is a reflection of centralised credit underwriting operations, which means most of their local branches only needs to have sales personnel, who draw lower salaries compared to credit underwriters. In lending financials, we can only infer a few things from numbers due to the opaque nature of the business.

1. Cost structure of organization
  2. Credit performance in bad cycles by studying performance of static loan pools.

I have seen that organizations that are good at lending also tend to have lower costs (e.g. HDFC, Canfin, HDFC bank, etc.), as lending is a commodity business and in any commodity, one can only control costs. Aptus has the lowest cost structure amongst peers like Aavas or Home first. Additionally, Aptus has the lowest credit costs amongst its peer set. You can see an illustration of their unit economics below.

Now, lets look at nos they have reported in past few years to see if my nos actually make sense (historical nos are even better than my assumption)

Having tracked a lot of lending cos, I haven’t seen any company with this kind of unit economics. These numbers make Gruh Finance look like an average underwriter. Given that valuations have cooled down significantly after the IPO (from 6-7x PB to 3.6x PB), I am willing to take a bet and see how things turn out. My two worries are:

1. Reported nos are not scalable as they expand beyond their core geographies
  2. The true credit costs are higher than whats being reported.

Lets see how future pans out.

Core compounder (42%)

Companies Weightage
I T C Ltd. 4.00%
Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd. 4.00%
NESCO Ltd. 4.00%
Eris Lifesciences Ltd. 4.00%
Ajanta Pharmaceuticals Ltd. 4.00%
HDFC Asset Management Company Ltd 4.00%
Aegis Logistics Ltd. 2.00%
Gufic Biosciences 4.00%
HDFC Bank Ltd. 2.00%