Green Hydrogen as a Fuel - Indian Companies leading the Green Revolution

Hydrogen transportation :- Jindal saw concall mentioned about Hydrogen transportation.
Man industries concall mentioned about Hydrogen to be transported in LSAW pipes only.Man industries have taken the first step and got approval.Welspun corp have also taken initiatives.Inputs are welcome.

1 Like

Ok now Brasstracks for investing. Considering above 300 posts.

for each segment of the play

1. Electrolysers
  2. Storage
  3. Transportation
  4. Generation
  5. Catalyst Chemicals

What are likely investment options currently.

My picks for

1. Still searching
  2. I have mentioned somewhere in posts above.
  3. No company identified
  4. Gail, NTPC for now
  5. Researching
3 Likes

Powermech ltd. has confirmed its intentions to step into this space.

1 Like

There is a company called Ossus Bio that is using waste water to produce green hydrogen and they are claiming to make it at less than $1. Nikhil Kamath has invested in this company and recently had the founder on his podcast
https://inc42.com/buzz/ossus-renewable-bags-funding-from-nikhil-kamaths-gruhas-to-produce-green-hydrogen/#:~:text=We%20are%20currently%20the%20only,less%20than%20%241%20per%20kg.

1 Like

This is interesting…if its true then they are probably the 1st of its kind in india…so far there is an israeli company which has been able to produce ~2$…Reliance’s 1$ target is for year 2030.
@1957 whats your take on hydrogen from waste water ? i must’ve missed this in case its already discussed on this thread. this, i think is, different from electrolysis.as Wastewater has a high organic content.This is a biogas, biohydrogen through photo-fermentation or dark fermentation. i am not sure what type fermentation this company deploys. most of biohydrogen in india i know of are produced around 7-8$ …if they can produce at 1$, thats really nice !

hardik_shah1
There are many options at least two dozens of stocks have been discussed in this thread. it all depends upon one’s choice and risk appetite.

To understand it with clarity, Coal based power plants contribute to 50% Carbon foot print world over. So, the need for Renewable energy sources such as solar , wind hydro with zero carbon foot print.

Unfortunately, Solar /wind/ hydro power generation depends upin the vagaries of the Nature. If there is no sunlight such as night time and if there is no wind or no rain , the power generation stops…So, though renewables are the primary choice, but it can not Balance the grid like power from a coal based power plant which runs 24x7.
Then comes how to store the excess renewables from day time to night for grid stability. The ideal way is to use excess renewables to electrolyse water in day time to produce green hydrogen which can then be stored and used later in a Fuel Cell to produce electricity at night and thus grid balancing is ensured. Fuel cell/ Electrolyser technology is not yet well developed in India and so currently this concept is deployed in microgrids with small capacity electrolyser -Fuel Cell . For large scale storage solution, we have found out an intermediate solution of lithium ion battery storage and pumped hydro storage, which is becoming popular.

When we talk of investments in Green hydrogen , one should not ignore the primary role of Renewables such as Solar , Wind, Hydro.
In fact Renewable is the starting point of Green hydrogen. no renewables …no green hydrogen.

In fact , I did my investments in some chosen 15 stocks two years back as a Green Energy basket consisting of Large caps, PSU’s …and it has already given me a 2.5 X returns within 2 years time frame… I am happy with that …i could see further upside potential, though I have booked partial profits in most of them.
I intentionally avoided , small caps, MSME start ups.
In my view , Since this green energy technology is evolving, the small caps may not be able to cope with new technological changes and initially the balance sheet may be impacted due to sudden changes in technology and new emerging trends.

LarryWink

This technology is known and already in practice elsewhere. The concept is good and more suitable for small medium industries where a lot of waste water with bacteria virus is generated.
However, this can not apply to large scale / grid scale Hydrogen production.
However, this kind of business would grow on its own merits

6 Likes

Hydrogen Fuel cell to fuel Ships made by Cochin shipyards

1 Like

Nice !
KPIT has built its fuel cell , i presume, may be through sentinent lab.

India’s first green hydrogen tender meets a chaotic end | Mint (livemint.com)

Hype meets reality.

Though , not able to open the link and read it fully, I guess this appears to be an isolated case of a PSU named IOCL cancelling it’s tender. It is the media which makes a hype - both Good and bad. One can not generalise based upon one or two incidents.

However , the Global tender floated by SECL was already opened and a dozen of Bid- winners have already been announced last month. if you have missed this info , you may like to go through this link

1 Like

Sure. I know about this. My point is more on offtake agreements.

So in LiveMint there is one more article today on same subject. I saw it on twitter but unable to see on the website and therefore unable to link.

Anyway as someone keen to delve further in the space, just pointing out gaps that can emerge.

Look at EV space worldwide. There is significant slowdown apart from China with BMW, Toyota and Others moving towards Hybrids as EV do not sell and Ford,GM and VW posting losses on EV configs.

We are at upcrest of the equity cycle. Any Disappointing news will meet with swift and vicious downgrades in share prices regardless of long term sustainability and growth.

2 Likes

Well taken your point and Agree to your point on EV which I had suspected in sept 23…link below from another thread.Maruti delayed their EV, but played very well with Hybrids.

However , The whole world is moving towards Decarbonisation as long as Renewable energy like Solar wind is available as a power source , new battery technology and capacity comes up EV will coexist.

in my view, green hydrogen story is here to stay as for Decarbonisation there is no other alternative to green hydrogen as of date. it is the ultimate, though things may take time in spite of the entire world working tirelessly… it is not only as a source of power / energy for the Automobiles, ships, trains, even aeroplanes , but as Green feed stock for fertilisers , refineries , steel.plants and many other industries. The ultimate is Green hydrogen feeding the Grid.

Come Sept , 2024, L & T would sell Electrolysers at 50% cheaper to Global peers

L,& T has done this job quietly ahead of Reliance , Adani , And others

1 Like

India’s first indigenous Green Hydrogen Fuel cell to fuel inland waterway vessels.

This You tube video inserted by the Honourable PM Modi himself few hours back :slightly_smiling_face:
He has 2.2 crore followers in you tube.

1 Like

ONGC forms a wholly owned subsidiary-ONGC Green Limited-to produce Green Energy

As intimated to the stock exchanges, Oil.and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) will set up a new unit to house its gas business and clean energy projects such as green hydrogen, as it looks to fast-track foray into new areas.

It plans to spend Rs 1 lakh crore on installing 10 GW of renewable energy capacity, and setting up two million tonnes of green ammonia annual production capacity by 2035 as part of its decarbonisation strategy.

ONGC said the wholly-owned subsidiary company will be for value-chains of energy business such as green hydrogen, hydrogen blending, renewable energy, biofuels/biogas business and LNG.

ONGC also Inks a MOU with NTPC Green Energy limited to jointly develop Green energy projects

ONGC incorporates wholly owned subsidiary for green energy and gas biz.

2 Likes

From Past History to Present status of Hydrogen as a fuel for Automobiles - Toyota produces Longest Range Hydrogen Car in the world.

The kings of hydrogen, Toyota, holds the record for the longest ride on a single tank of hydrogen. Its Mirai set a Guinness World Record for the longest hydrogen-powered trip.

L&T commissions first indigenously manufactured electrolyser

PM Modi launched first hydrogen powered ferry, hydrogen fuel cells were made by KPIT.

1 Like

Gold rush for hydrogen- Green Hydrogen , White Hydrogen & Blue Hydrogen to compete with each other to bring down the price of Green hydrogen to less than 1 USD per kg

Earlier in the thread , we have discussed huge reserve of Hydrogen Gas in its natural form underground which was accidentally found out while digging /drilling holes. Subsequently, to discover and exploit commercially Hydrogen reserves underground , well funded Start ups have been formed in USA to dig / drill the earth to discover huge reserves of hydrogen in several nations. This hydrogen in natural form is called white hydrogen.

Green hydrogen is the one which is currently deployed across the globe with renewable solar wind and Electrolyser.

Blue hydrogen is the one which is produced from methane or coal gasification with CCUS.

Another method is to produce green hydrogen without electrolyser is from waste water with the help of Bioreactor. This is already being done by a well funded Start up in india (Nikhil kamath has also invested). However , it is on a small scale for pharma , chemical, steel , refining , food , brewing industry where waste water can be used by fermentation by bio tractor to produce green hydrogen at least than 1-USD per kg.

,The cheapest bring the grey hydrogen directly produced from methane and coal without CCUS.

The $245M bid to pull clean hydrogen straight from the… | Canary Media.

Scindia inaugurates Jindal Stainless’ first green hydrogen project in India - The Economic Times (indiatimes.com)

Project done by Homepage - Hygenco Green Energies Private Limited

But no details on technology or what systems are used.

Does it have the tech or is it just an EPC styled project company.

1 Like