Green Hydrogen as a Fuel - Indian Companies leading the Green Revolution

HardikBhei…on technology side
I think on their site - Steel One – Commercial project - Hygenco Green Energies Private Limited
Its APEM , hooked up with floating solar.
Supplying h2 24 hour, probably they have required storage at production plant since solar wont be available at night.

1 Like

But @1957 om …where are the opportunities ?
while most of small-midcap names i follow are taking cut here and there since last 1 month…some PSUs i follow have fairly ran ahead in last 1 month.most of these PSU, i think, ran on the defence and hydrogen story.
What is left ? Ports & infra ?

1 Like

Jindal would produce Green hydrogen for 100% captive consumption to produce green steel.

In steel industry , Hydrogen is required in Direct reduction of Iron ore ( DRI)-
By reacting hydrogen directly with iron ore, iron and water are produced in place of iron and CO2.

For producing stainless steel - hydrogen is used in a heat treatment process called annealing.

The pact between JSL and Hygenco also marks the first-ever commercial long-term offtake agreement of green hydrogen in India,

In the first phase , all others are planning producing green hydrogen under EPC to meet their captive needs. commercial sale in massive scale is yet to be started.

First of all these companies are using / consuming grey Hydrogen and they need to decarbonise first before they make any commercial sale to others.

you may please go through this article.

https://indianexpress.com/article/business/companies/jindal-group-jsl-installs-indian-stainless-steel-sector-first-green-hydrogen-plant-hygenco-india-9194920/

2 Likes

So PSU and Energy Utilities are best bet based on current PE and egregious valuations of small cap companies.

reasonable valuations and growth visibility. etc.

2 Likes

Solar renewable will be used to electrolyse water to produce Hydrogen.
they need hydrogen as a feeding stock in the steel plants. They dont need power out of hydrogen round the clock and there is no grid connectivity involved here
However, Still hydrogen need to stored for use in night for steel making.
Round the clock production of hydrogen may not be required.

1 Like

you got it right ! :slightly_smiling_face:

So the APEM uses Sodium Hydroxide/Pottasium Hydroxide as electrolyser. In inida below firms are involved.

1. Kotyark
  2. Gujarat Alkali and Chemicals.

Of course more research required on capacity and pricing but this is good to start.

2 Likes

The materials we are looking at for PEM ( not only alkline but generalized for PEM)

1. Platinum ( for electrode)
  2. KOH (Potassium Hydroxide) or NaOH
  3. PTFE (membrane material )
  4. Graphite (bipolar plates)
  5. Iridium oxide or Nickel oxide (i think these are the catalysts, the tricky part in PEM)
2 Likes

For Catalysts(in terms of use)

Graphere, Nickel Ferrous and others

For Membranes

A-201, Tokuyama and Chloromethylated PSF(CMPSF)

Alkaline water electrolyzers: Nickel (Ni) and cobalt oxides are most common anode and cathode

For Proton Electrolysers: Iridium Oxide and Platinum are anode and cathode

1 Like

I put the same thing. Now we are getting somewhere.

2 Likes

if we can find who supplied PEM parts,materials to L&T for their recent fully indigenous electrolysers.we may get more info.

1 Like

Uses Technology from Mclyzer.

pressurized alkaline electrolyser

Indian conglomerate L&T plans to build gigawatt-scale hydrogen electrolyser plant in India using McPhy technology | Hydrogen news and intelligence (hydrogeninsight.com)

Green Manufacturing- Electrolyser | Our Businesses | Green Energy | L&T India (lntgreen.com)

L&T’s Green Hydrogen Plant at the A M Naik Heavy Engineering Complex Hazira, is designed for an electrolyser capacity of 800 kW comprising both Alkaline and PEM technologies. The Alkaline electrolyser of 380 kW capacity produces 15 TPA (tonnes per annum) of high purity hydrogen (99.99%). This hydrogen is blended with Natural Gas for captive consumption in the existing fabrication shops in Hazira. High purity oxygen is also generated as a bi-product and is used in cutting applications. A 400 kW PEM electrolyser will be added as part of future expansion, doubling the hydrogen production capacity of the plant to 30 TPA.

and below gives entire bare details.

L&T Electrolysers (larsentoubro.com)

But we do not have details of the chemistry and what material technologies are used. Checking futher later.

1 Like

Can White Hydrogen kill Green Hydrogen dreams

https://www.business-standard.com/opinion/columns/green-hydrogen-at-a-crossroads-124030401142_1.html

1 Like

No , it can not !
Because white hydrogen is still at a very nascent stage of exploration… then comes extraction and post extraction cost is yet to be worked out.

Even if is explored at some places , it would be just like Natural Gas reserves or Crude petroleum reserves or Coal reserves.
Crude or natural gas or Coal is not found all over the world …it is limited to few nations and at few locations / sites and these reserves are not going to last forever

For example , our ONGC or Oil India are in to Oil & Gas exploration for the last 50 years. Still we are able to meet only 7-8 % of our requirement and that too these reserves are limited.

So, the requirement of green hydrogen as primary source of energy is so huge for decarbonising the planet earth , Power plants, Transport , Fertiliser plants , Refineries , Steel industry and finally cooking gas. Hydrogen from all possible sources all put together may not be able to meet the requirement.

one plus point with the Hreen Hydrogen is that it can be produced anywhere and everywhere. The only requirement is availability of Sunlight Wind & Water, which are plenty and will be available for man kind for ever.

However , Green hydrogen may have competition with Blue , white and the price of Green could come down and perhaps would be the cheapest going forward with the advent of technology.

You may have missed this post, which you may like to go through the write-up along with the 3 links that have been given in the post.

Ultimately everything comes down to the Cost/Kg of hydrogen.

Provided continous efforts by goverment to Green H2 ,according to me, could offer better cost controls.since the production & supply can always be localised hence cutting the transportation-long distrance transportation piping etc.

The oily lobby, with their well oiled lobby machine, may not easily accept their share going to something else, expect few spanners here and there, Expect few more studies raising Hydrogen doubts, Expect even some research articles, expect even some expert with studies and calculations raising hydrogen doubts.

Recall how they derailed electric tram ? it was green, clean, sustainable but nah, they wanted to sell oil…they even gave oil a name like SWEET, SOUR, SALTY, BITTER :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i promise it doesnt have any of such taste. By mistake i had 2-3 sip of blue kerosene in my childhood :rofl:

Though i believe hydrogen production is at initial stage and its expensive …hydrogen conversion is even more expensive…with a sustained push and support i believe tech can evolve which shall bring down the costs at both production as well as at conversion.

if green H2 is priced at 1$/Kg. i think its a much much better start and hydrogen is good to go…what do u think, Om @1957 ?

1 Like

True !
As technology evolves and the fact that the whole world is working on this subject , the cost of Green hydrogen price should come down drastically and the cheapest Green hydrogen production would start from none other than India.
Already Green hydrogen from waste water is sold at less than a USD.

Why Steel plants in India rush to produce Green hydrogen?

Till now it was only the oil marketing companies, petroleum refineries , fertiliser plants and power producers are in the process of setting up Green hydrogen plants

After the oil & Gas companies and fertiliser plants, it is time for steel industry to rush for green hydrogen.

No, it is not that they are diversifying in to Green hydrogen production and commercial sale of green hydrogen . But it appears apart from aiming to reduce carbon foot print, there are other objectives to improve efficiency and reduce cost. How ?? Pl do read up to the end.

On March 4, 2024 Jindal stainless commissioned its maiden green hydrogen plant. The plant, located at its stainless steel manufacturing facility in Hisar, was built in partnership with renewable energy firm Hygenco.

it is not just Jindal stainless alone,
In April 2023,Tata Steel Tisco commenced the injection of hydrogen gas using 40 percent of the injection systems in the Blast Furnace at its steel plant in Jamshedpur, marking a significant milestone in the steel industry’s journey towards green and sustainable steelmaking.

Subsequently,Tata Steel and renewable energy company ACME group signed an agreement to set up a Green Hydrogen and Green Ammonia project at its Gopalpur Industrial Park in Odisha. The group plans to set up a nearly 1.3 MTPA (million tonnes per annum) green ammonia production facility.

JSW Steel has tapped its subsidiary, awarding a contract to JSW Energy to set up a 3,800-tonnes-per-annum plant to supply green hydrogen to its steel plant in Vijayanagara.

Another steel major, Kalyani Group, had stated that it is looking at using hydrogen.
And many others are seriously planning towards green hydrogen.

The reasons are !
(1) Hydrogen can be injected directly in to blast furnace to reduce Iron ore to Iron. ( DRI)
The current practice is to use Coke which is imported - as Indian coal said to be of inferior quality with more ash content. Imported Coke price is subject to wide price fluctuation in international commodity market and geopolitical situations make it worse

(2) The use of coke in blast furnace is a carbon intensive process and increase carbon foot print

(3) Hydrogen is also required in Stainless steel production during a heat treatment process called annealing
(4) So hydrogen is an import substitution against coke
(5) Reducing Carbon foot print is definitely an advantage

So , it is win- win situation for steel industry.

4 Likes

Another important reason why Indian steel makers have to adopt green steel is because of the imposition of the Green Steel Directive by the European Union. If one does not comply, they will be penalized with a carbon tax, which will hit their bottom line.

This is a key lever for European Union to achieve their climate and energy targets by 2030

https://www.wsj.com/articles/green-steel-is-coming-europe-is-leading-the-charge-thanks-to-new-carbon-taxes-886c77b6

3 Likes

True…
I missed your point. i very much appreciate.

This is the reason why our steel makers have started naming steel as Green Steel.nowadays

Good Point. Does it reduce costs also or costs between Imported Coking Coal and Green Hydrogen are similar.

1 Like