Godrej Agrovet ~ Animal Feed, Crop Protection, Palm Oil, Dairy & Processed Foods

My Notes About Godrej Agrovet

Agri Sector
– Provides livelihood for ~55% of India’s population. This number has been de-growing and is expected to further reduce over the longer period.
– From FY16 to FY22, agri exports grew at a CAGR of ~7.5% (from ~$32B to ~$50B)
– Detailed report on agri sector - here
Agri

Overview of Godrej Group and Agrovet

• Company also has a couple of Joint Ventures and some investments in UAE. One of the JV is in Bangaldesh (agrochem) and another is a VC firm that invests in agri-startups.
  • Has some investment in UAE but I have never been interested in their UAE investment so I’ll skip it.

Seasonality and Triggers

• During Drought: Cattle feed sales increase. However, other costs also go up and the impact is nullified at present [Page 7]
  • Company is involved in a seasonal sector. However, it is working to reduce the seasonality effect
  • Can take 5 to 7 years for the new processes to be set up and come into action
    (infrastructure requirements, regulatory approvals, crop protection business, et cetera)

Capex

• Herbicide Plant worth Rs 500 Cr - to be commissioned by Dec’24

Valuation Comfort
There are a lot of different metrics that you can look at. However, this attracts me:

• Market Cap (9300) <= FY23 Sales (9300)
  • Market cap at ATL v/s Profit at ATH: (Market Cap 5 years back was around 12k)

{This is a WIP post. I’ll update the notes as per time availability}

Disclaimer: Invested (PF sizing here). I may increase or decrease my investment at any time without informing anyone so please do your own research.

4 Likes