Nifty PE after all earnings have been declared

Folks,

Attached is the Nifty trailing 12 month PE (weighted) as at November 14, 2018. With the caveat mentioned previously, here are some findings. Nifty PE Q2 FY19 for valuepickr.xlsx (124.8 KB)

1. My computation shows TTM Nifty PE at 24.03 on Nov 14, 2018 vs 26.07 3 months ago. Nifty fell by 7.5% even as EPS grew by 1.2%

2. Nifty EPS is at 440.08 end of Sept quarter vs 438.57 end of June quarter as per my computations.

3. Bloomberg shows a Nifty EPS of 485.49 (up from 480 end of last quarter). So while my EPS continues to vary from Bloomberg’s, the growth in EPS seems to be the same. To repeat, while Bloomberg’s raw data matches mine (except for minor yet necessary manual overrides), their EPS is higher than mine and this is not resolved. A snap of their EPS is shown below, please ignore other figures.

4. Nifty earnings continue to remain tepid, for more than 5 years now, and infact so are corporate earnings as reported by Business Standard a few days ago.

Any help in reconciling Bloomberg figures with mine will be most helpful. There are some hypothesis llike they adjust for exceptional items etc, but that was not enough.

I would be glad to answer any queries on the computation.

18 Likes