Waterbase - Can it be Next Avanti Feeds?

@varadharajanr - Thanks for the detailed post. Few questions -

1. Merger
PFL has 75k MTPA capacity at the moment. Any idea what is the current utilization levels of PF? PF is selling everything to WB (120 cr revenue in 2016) so how is Waterbase topline going to increase after the merger? Operational synergies might help bottomline somewhat, but that is the max one is going to get from the merger. PF has debt of 42 odd cr, which is coming along with some equity dilution. Why are the promoters in presentations advertising (three times the capacity, and they will be able to target newer geographies as there will be no capacity constraints post merger. Well, my understanding is that they were getting whatever amount they needed from PF before merger as well. So where were the constraints in terms of capacity?

What can we expect out of this merger as far as topline and bottomline are concerned?

2. Insurance
Is getting back the insurance amount IFFY? It has been almost 16 months and there is no concrete word from the mgmt yet on this. Do they care for minority shareholders?

Any idea why this restriction was imposed by bank in the first place? And was this restriction really effecting WB as far as capacity is concerned? They were still getting whatever amount they needed from PF.

4. Vis a vis Avanti
Avanti is operating from the same region and is not complaining about diseases and stuff. Why Waterbase alone is facing these issues while Avanti is boosting its performance big time? Is this an excuse for poor performance? I understand some companies are more efficient than others, but if farmers are facing diseases, then two companies operating in the same region must be having similar commentary.

2 Likes

@Mridul - thansk for the prod.

all of your concerns are valid.

on insurance, this deafening silence is quite worrying - I have no idea why they are not declaring if they have got the money unless its a dispute and they have gone to the ombudsman about it - even in that case, they ought to inform SH.

as far as the restriction, yes there were restrictions when water base came out of debt restructuring. that’s why they incorporated pinnae to do the manufacturing and sell it through WB.

Yes, continuous whining about some reason or the other is a source of worry - the management keeps coming up with some reason or the other. they are worse than avanti on growth, WC, margins and most worryingly receivables. A good chunk of my thesis has not played out- may be I am wrong here assessing the competence and integrity of the management.

Discl: I was disappointed with the q3 results, so I have trimmed my holdings. waitig to see the insurance money and merger to see how they pick up.

1 Like

I am also disappointed wiht the results…management is not that clear and transparent.

They are talking of PF merger and access to 3X their feed capacity and i dont understand their statements. PF is currently selling 100% to Waterbase and they have full access to the expanded capacity now as well.

They are not disclosing anything on the insurance claim.

Disc : Really disappointed. My holding is at around 105 - I will sell off around Q4 result or i recover my cost…

Spoke with Company Secretary G Venkatram on 7th and CFO Suresh Kumar on 14th.Been a bit disappointed with their Customer Support and non transparency if you want to get in touch with any higher up through email or phone as they have not provided with any details on their website.Below are my inputs:

G Venkatram:
Q) Has waterbase been affected because of detention of consignment by US?
a) No

Q) How’s been the response for pilot project in chennai for shrimp food which they launched in dec?
a) He said they are targeting hotel chains and joints which use it daily and one can see its impact on financials in a year.

q)What about amalgamation ? Will it get completed by this month?
a)He was very positive on this and he was abit surprised as i had informed him about next hearing date i.e 15 th march which very few people were aware of and he was like how you came to know about this as we never said this date.Anyway its either going to be completed by today 15th of march or most probably by the end of this month.

q) So we can expect pinnae financial details with this quarter result?
a) He was positive on this.

Q) What about insurance claim as its been more than 16 months now?
a) He requested me to get in touch with CFO for this.

Suresh Kumar:
Q)Status of insurance claim ? why delay?
a)His reply was like because of many companies were hit by those floods its taking time.Surveyor has surveyed and that report will be submitted to insurance internal team and as its the end of financial year things wont move up.They are very positive on this and either it will be done by late q1 or early q2.

Disc: Invested

4 Likes

Have you went through the latest disclosures on BSE? Promoter has done a internal transfer between his holdings from one promoter to another promoter company. What could be the rationale behind it? Promoter has increased his stake also.

Disc. Invested.

Another thing is that this another promoter company was incorporated in Aug 2015 and it is the same period when they announced the merger.

Lots of companies doing these internal transfers. This could be the reason -

1 Like

Orders Reserved for amalgamation of Waterbase and Pinnae Feeds.

Official disclosure came on BSE. http://www.bseindia.com/corporates/ann.aspx?scrip=523660

They should have informed about this on 16th itself.Only when i called NCLT today came the reply.We would have known the outcome on 15th itself had the cause list uploaded on that day.Anyway at least some positive insight we got to hear from management.

Agreed. Not a good management we have got here.

Had a word with company secretary and as per him they updated bse on 16th itself but for some technical reason it didn’t got uploaded.He requested to check the date on the letter head of their release to prove his point and its 16th on it.

I requested him to provide details of their insurance company and so on for which he asked to write a mail for it.If some of you can come up with your own questions which you want to get answered can post it here i will ask the same to the management.

Thanks for the efforts, Ahmed. They have made another disclosure now about the inter se transfer. http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/b52b0629-8afe-440d-bb50-b5c7c4de0791.pdf

You should ask them about the capacity constraint. How will this merger solve Waterbase capacity constraint? They had access to the Pinnae Feeds capacity already as it was selling everything to them and it was their own company. They could have taken more orders and got them processed via Pinnae. Merger is better no doubt but how was there a capacity constraint? This is something really bugs me.

Thanks for the effort. IN my above post, i have posted 4 questions, which you can ask if possible. I don’t want to repeat the post and clutter the thread, but you can check. Thanks.

I have Edited abit of your questions and mailed them. Lets see when they will reply. Himashu as @Mridul had included about capacity constraint i didn’t find need to add anything more to it.Anyone else spoke to company secretary today?

1 Like

Here is a gist of Ahmed’s (invstr88) email exchange with the Waterbase management. No surprises there! All answers on expected lines regarding merger, insurance claim, capacity, impact of merger, comparison with Avanti.

Question - PFL has 75k MTPA capacity at the moment. Any idea what is the current utilization levels of PF? PF is selling everything to WB (120 cr revenue in 2016) so how is Waterbase topline going to increase after the merger? Operational synergies might help bottomline somewhat, but that is the max one is going to get from the merger. PF has debt of 42 odd cr, which is coming along with some equity dilution. Why are the promoters in presentations advertising (three times the capacity, and they will be able to target newer geographies as there will be no capacity constraints post merger. My understanding is that we were getting whatever amount needed from PF before merger as well. So where were the constraints in terms of capacity? What can we expect out of this merger as far as topline and bottomline are concerned?

Ans - The primary objective for setting up PFL was to tap the growing business opportunity which wasn’t getting addressed given the limited capacity of TWL. Expanding capacities under TWL on its own got a lot more challenging post Canara Bank’s declaration of us as NPA. However, the promoter’s faith and commitment in the business along with the budding business opportunity it was eventually decided that PFL would be established as a separate entity with TWL being its only client and getting eventually merged with TWL. Pinnae Feeds Ltd. was incorporated in July 2012 and the full capacity was available from Farming season 2015.

The benefits of the merger have been captured in the topline already to the extent of the prevailing demand in the markets over the last two years in the face of disease and natural disasters like floods. Entry into newer markets like West Bengal, Gujarat and Odisha over the last two seasons combined with sustained marketing efforts and the enhancement of the distribution infrastructure in existing markets is expected to result in increased volumes under normal demand / market conditions (i.e. absence of disease / non-occurrence of natural disasters).

In terms of profitability, it is expected that EBITDA margins should be positively impacted post-merger as the interest and depreciation in the books of PFL were already included in the purchase cost of traded goods in TWL’s books (given that these were at arm’s length). Post-merger, these expenses will revert to below the line items from an EBITDA perspective.

From a PAT perspective, the trend of steady increase in sales volume should provide positive momentum to the PAT which is expected to benefit from operating leverage as utilization increases. However, as a company policy, we do not provide any specific guidance either for Sales, EBITDA or PAT.

My take - MEANS NO IMPACT ON PAT DUE TO MERGER

Question - Why was this restriction imposed by Canara bank in the first place? And was this restriction really effecting WB as far as capacity is concerned? Waterbase was still getting whatever amount needed from PF.

Ans - The tsunami of December 2014 had a cascading effect on the business as it impacted the functioning of our key customers who experienced delays in meeting their obligations, in turn lengthening our receivables cycle. Cash flow and liquidity constrain impaired our ability to make timely payments. Canara Bank, which was part of the consortium, following their internal assessment classified us as NPA as they deemed the risk to the business had heightened to a large extent. The view was however was to Canara Bank only as the rest of the members didn’t agree to the same. Our borrowing cost went up following the NPA classification which in turn affected the project viability for the greenfield expansion.

However to circumvent the restriction, and to grow the business promoters incorporated PFL with the goal of eventually merging PFL with TWL. Had the above scenario not occurred, TWL would have undertaken expansion on its own without the need for PWL to be incorporated.

Question - Avanti is operating from the same region and is not complaining about diseases and stuff. Why Waterbase alone is facing these issues while Avanti is boosting its performance big time? I understand some companies are more efficient than others, but if farmers are facing diseases, then two companies operating in the same region must be having similar commentary.

Ans - Nellore is the core business area for both TWL and PFL. Besides the plant, WB’s customer base is also situated in that area. Avanti Feeds on the other hand is much bigger in size with a diversified presence, which reduces the concentration risk for the business. TWL as you must be aware, wasn’t able to fully capitalize on the business opportunities in the past given its limited scale, however post the amalgamation, we would be targeting newer markets to meet the growing demand which in turn will help us lower our geographic risk. We believe that the acute impact of the floods in 2015 and the disease outbreak in 2016 on the business was primarily owing to our concentrated presence and as such we are working towards addressing the same by widening our reach post amalgamation. Avanti Feeds, given their ability to shift focus to other markets, was able to insulate their performance from the impact.

Question - Is getting back the insurance amount IFFY? It has been almost 16 months and there is no concrete word from the mgmt yet on this. Do they care for minority shareholders?.Request to provide the name of the insurance company and its file no of insurance claim if possible.

Ans - The Insurance claim process is pending with the Insurance Co., and we are undertaking all requisite steps and following the necessary procedure. We do agree that the settlement procedure is taking longer than anticipated time but rest assure all the parties involved are going by the standard process. Also one needs to keep in mind that given the natural calamity covered a large area, there are numerous claims from this region and the progress of each claim, while certainly gradual, is progressing in accordance with availability of requisite technically competent manpower. The Company is constantly following-up with the Insurance Company.

TWL has however always kept shareholders abreast of the developments irrespective of the development being material or not, and we will continue to carry on with the same practice in the future as well.

Thanks for this Ahmed bhai!

7 Likes

Seafood exporters are optimistic about the removal of anti-dumping duty by the World Trade Organisation (WTO) on shrimps exported to United States, the largest market for Indian marine products.The anti-dumping duty has been in force on Indian frozen warmwater shrimps since 2004-2005. The levy was for five years. In the fifth year, a ‘sunset review’ was initiated by DOC (department of commerce) of the US government.

As per reports, the DOC will conduct the sunset review to determine whether duties can be withdrawn or should be continued for another five years.The DOC had extended the levy on Indian shrimps for another five years after the completion of first five-year term of the anti-dumping duty.

“US did not repeal the duty on Indian frozen water shrimps in the first five years which was further extended by another five years. India, along with China and Vietnam, moved the World Trade Organisation for repeal of the duty,” said an official in the know.

The rate of duty is fixed by the US government’s department of commerce.

Hopeful of a positive outcome, Tara Patnaik, chairman of Falcon Marine Exports Ltd, said the Government of India as a party has moved the WTO for the sunset review so that there will be no duty on Indian shrimps.

“We are optimistic about the outcome and the hearing has been completed,” he added.

The US is a major importer of Indian seafood with a share of 28.46 per cent in dollar terms. The total exports to the US stood at $1,334.05 million in 2015-16. US-bound shipments had registered a growth of 18.53 per cent in terms of quantity but in value they were down 2.23 per cent in rupee terms and 8.52 per cent in dollar terms.

The US is the largest market for frozen shrimp, at 1,34,144 tonnes, followed by the European Union (81,849 tonnes), South East Asia (65,188 tonnes), Japan (34,204 tonnes), Middle East (17,477 tonnes), China (9,542 tonnes) and other countries (31,464 tonnes).

This year, the US commerce department has announced its preliminary determination in the 11th administrative reviews of the anti-dumping duty orders against frozen warm water shrimp from India and Thailand. It has pegged its preliminary anti-dumping duty on the perishable item at an average rate of 1.07 per cent. The period of review (POR) was February 1, 2015, through January 31, 2016.

It may be noted that India has emerged over the last few years as the largest supplier of shrimps to the US, overtaking Thailand and other countries, and commands premium prices for excellent quality of aquaculture shrimp.

Source: http://smartinvestor.business-standard.com/market/Marketnews-455802-Marketnewsdet-Marine_exporters_optimistic_on_removal_of_duty_on_US_bound_shipments.htm#.WQjFammGPIU

1 Like

For last 1 year I have been trying to find shrimps from TWF in US but couldn’t fine one.
Reason - There are so many packets in refrigerator without any brand / differentiation / price point. It looks like a commodity where every player has dumped his packed product in refrigerator.
Many time packets that I picked happened to be from Thailand.
Disc - Had invested then sold off after repeated poor results - and Avanti was posting v good results during same time. This was after many months of Tsunami

But I could find Avanti Shrimp as well :wink:

Hi Sushil,

Thanks for your inputs!

Just one query - do people there know ‘Avanti’ name?
Is it recognized as a good brand?

Sorry for the typo - I couldn’t find Avanti feeds shrimps & people don’t know about Avanti.
The only product I could find differently packed is attached.
It was priced at $15 for 80 shrimps.