Waterbase - Can it be Next Avanti Feeds?

My thesis on water base is fairly simple and straight forward:

1. the company is a no.2 to market leader avanti feeds and has the benefit of tail winds in an growing shrimp feed market in India.

2. the promoters have a stellar reputation amongst the shrimp farming community and their products are well liked

3.water base went through a CDR and a difficult time during 2011-14 when the market took off - avanti made the most of it and literally left it in the dust. Post CDR and now with amalgamation of the promoter’s company pinnae foods, they will triple capacity to 1,10,000 tonnes p.a. So with the same cost structure they can literally do 3-4 x of current revenues

1. the thapar groups scion has come in - professionally educated in the USA, he is driving change. The foremost of that is bringing in a new CEO - Mr. Ramakant Akula who comes from a sales and distribution background and is expanding distribution to improve topline

2. india is a peninsula and has immense potential for shrimp farming - states like orissa, west bengal, gujarat have just got onto the bandwagon to help impoverished farmers who live on saline coast lines come up from poverty. This is a big opportunity as most of these areas are not arable

6.water base is integrating both backward and forward by getting in to hatcheries (which is a 20% ebitda margin business) and processing of shrimps (which is a low 4-5 % ebitda margin business but helps expand the farmer’s market as they get assured of buy back of their produce).

1. scuttle butt on the ground indicates 25-30% growth in water base and a 10-15 % for the market leader avanti. this is without pinnae foods - which when added will add about 15 % to the growth - to say 40% or so

2. this is a simple business - very similar to FMCG - high asset turn over, stable ebitda margins,

3. upside from things like hatcheries which are high margin are optionalities that can add to ROCE.

financials

in FY 2016, they did about Rs. 300 Cr. and pinnae foods did about Rs. 40 Cr. in topline. They can grow at about 40% a year on a combined base for the next two years. That makes it about Rs 700 Cr. with a 11% EBITDA margin and a 7 % PAT margin (taking margins about 100-150 bps lower than avanti).

Given that for FY 18, one is looking at a PAT number of about Rs. 50-55 Cr. or so at the very least. Lay on top of thios, the Rs. 18-19 Cr. of insurance money that the company will get for the Rs. 20 Cr. loss in plant that they took during december 2015 - chennai floods which will add to the cash straight. This should translate into an EPS of about Rs. 20-25 in FY 18 without exceptional items should there be no black swan risks which are not uncommon in the shrimp business.

Given this and applying a multiple of about 12x, a Mcap of about Rs. 600-650 Cr. is quite possible that translates into an upside of about 50% from here in about a year’s time. There are multiple themes playing here and I always use the analogy of a boeing 747 in investing - there are four engines that power shareholder returns :

• improving capital turn over - should happen given that capacities have been set up and now any sale will result in operating leverage

• reducing debt - the company has come out of CDR and has been consistently shrinking their debt although WC remains elevated given the sales growth they are pushing for

• improving margins/increasing operating leverage - as they sell more, their fixed costs get amortized over a larger base and hence produce a disproportionate amount of cash flows

• rapidly increasing sales - again topline is a key engine that powers operating and free cash flows in such a business

I have seldom seen an aircraft crash whenever it’s had these four engines firing simultaneously. Infact, this creates disproporationate wealth - given that I see an asymmetric upside in water base.

Risks;

• this is a highly volatile business with black swans surfacing sporadically - any shrimp disease can wipe out the company

• the US had rolled back anti dumping duty on indian shrimps in 2014 - however, recently the anti dumping duty was clawed up from about 2.77 % to about 5 % now - while not insignificant, it is my belieft based on interviews with people on teh ground that this 2 % differential can be absorted by farmers. However, any future hikes can lead to elasticity of demand

• any roll back of professionalization of the company can result in a slowing growth - a key part of my thesis is that the thapars have become outward looking with the entry of a new generation and have given space for professionals to flourish and grow -

• any concerns about use of anti biotics in indian shrimps etc. can have adverse consequences

Immediate catalysts

1. getting insurance money of about Rs 17-19 Cr. - its a matter of when it comes not whether it will come

2. high court approval for merger of pinnae foods - my guess is that share holder approval has come through and ROC, CLB will come through by sept 2016

3. improvement in shrimp prices in the USA/taiwan which has apparently happened as this was one of the warmest winters ever and opening stocks post march across US have been significnatly lower than last year

Discl : invested at 65, 90 and 115 levels. forms 7 % of my pf

my take on q1 resuls - the company is focussed on gaining market share and as yet does not have pricing power - the only way to bridge the differential with avanti is to grow faster and hopefully start squeezing back end efficiencies.

a high prorportion of stock in trade indicates that the company is still buying FG from pinnae foods - what will be interesting will be hte margins post the merger. if this growth can sustain and if the company can knock off shared costs post the merger with pinnae, this can do well over a 2-3 year time period. what i would worry about is debtors which we need to see during q2

17 Likes

could the lack of pricing be because of discounts that might have been given to farmers in the new territories where they entered in the last quarter ?

Excellent writeup and detailing.

My biggest worry is the disease issue, hence decided not to invest. Read quite many reports regarding it and despite trying to get down to the biology couldn’t take a call on the future outlook. Any expert view on the disease issue would be helpful!

Discl. Invested at 100, exited at 170 last year

very good write up. one question that come to my mind , with so many black swans around will this businesses will get pe expansion, as feed is no moat and doesnot have any entry barrier.

1 Like

Waterbase Ltd has submitted to BSE a copy of Investor Presentation. http://t.in.com/e2Xa

Discl. Invested

1 Like

Superb Q12017 performance by TWL. Q1 Revenue is almost 40% of full FY2016 and even FY2015. Management seems to be focused and have very clear priorities. Distribution expansion is on track and debt maintained at same level.
Fantastic fundamentals in total.

Disc - Invested

1 Like

Anti dumping duty reduced by US.

Hi,

I am planning to attend Waterbase AGM on 29th. If anyone has questions, please forward them to me and I will try to get answers. Thanks.

1 Like

few questins

1. what happened to the insurance claim - floods were in december 2015 - its been 10 months now. when will the Rs. 17-18 Cr. come ?
  2. what are the plans for shrimp hatchery ? what kind of margins can we expect ?
  3. I heard from market what their credit terms are much looser than avanti to drive sales - how will this claw this back over a period of time ? and why are they not able to pass on the RM costs if market is growing, they have a good brand and distribution - seems not logical
  4. it will be good if you can understand challenges they are facing, how they are building an organization etc. by having a one on one with ramakant akula and the promoters
3 Likes

Hello Sai Venkatesh,

I would like to know their long-term target on sustainable margins. If you could ask them what is achievable, and what is realistic for the shrimp-feed industry.

Thanks for this.

Sorry guys. In last minute, there is a change of plan and I won’t be able to go to AGM.

1 Like

Waterbase awarded by Frost & Sullivan -

Any news from the AGM?

Promoter holding has increased by 3.5% in sept quarter. Still no news about AGM/ sept results ? eyes will be on the insurance amount.

http://www.bseindia.com/corporates/shpSecurities.aspx?scripcd=523660&qtrid=91.00

1 Like

25th november is the results

poor results
http://www.bseindia.com/corporates/anndet_new.aspx?newsid=af4958de-416b-45bb-9159-32141c82e345

1 Like

figured out when avanti as well posted mediocre results

Anyone has idea of impact of cyclone vardah on their south India plants ?

Waterbase results on 10th of February.I had mailed them queries after last qtr results but they didn’t replied to them after sending them mails twice,even spoke to Mr. G. Venkatram
who is Secretary & Compliance Officer thrice and on my third attempt that too after a month he replied to few of my queries verbally were are as follows:

1)Has demonitisation impacted the regular business of the company.If yes how much percent are we expected to lose in terms of sales.
Ans:Thsi was answered in investor presentation which was uploaded on 15-12-2016.

2)There is no mention of growth of new market areas which waterbase entered into like gujarat and west bengal.
Ans)He said they are into it but can’t quantify it.

3)Whats the status of 19cr insurance claim filed by the company as its been a year now.
Ans: Insurance companies people want to inspect again…something like that he said but didn’t gave a clarity.

4)It was said in the last presentation that amalgamation will be complete by q3. Would like to know whether its going to be complete by the end of q3 or it may take a bit more time.
Ans: He said company is waiting for NCLT and because of bifurcation of Telangana and Andhra,Because of judges scarcity this issue is happening and they can’t say an exact time by which it will be done.

Hoping that they will come out with good numbers as avanti posted very good result but as result is on 10th i.e a friday lets hope for the best.

Dis:Invested

Waterbase results out.Result is exactly opposite to avanti results.Can anyone out here shed some light ?