Tata Consumer Products Limited (TATACONSUM)

Tata consumer might be able to increase its market share in tea exports following Sri Lanka’s economic emergency

4 Likes

This May help in further rerate the valuation and positive for the company.

3 Likes

At croma store, they are giving presentation to employee.

The new app is TCP(TATA CONSUMER PRODUCTS)

Few ideas are one roof for all Tata products, with auto redirect to Bigbasket, croma.

Reward points redeemable at all Tata Stores.

Brands they are starting with are AIR ASIA, BIG BASKET, INDIAN HOTELS, CHROMA, STARBUCKS & TATA CLIQ

Source(Chroma Store, titled PARTICIPATING TATA BRANDS FOR TCP REWARD POINTS

9 Likes

Not sure if this TCP is Tata consumer products…as this is FMCG company and there is no app related to it. Initial superapp plan was also under Tata digital…also there is no known reward points mechanism for FMCG products…
What is this TCP reward points is confusing…

On checking, found below details in bb site…it doesn’t seem related to this FMCG company directly…

https://www.bigbasket.com/loyalty/

Tata Consumer Platform
Check company profile in the report

India Ratings and Research Private Limited India’s Most Respected Credit Rating and Research Agency India Ratings Assigns Tata Digital’s CP ‘IND A1+’.pdf (199.9 KB)

1 Like

Of course TCP is not by TCPL, they are using the brands under Tata umbrella, its just that the names sound similar.

I posted here because I saw the initial development that TCPL brand Starbucks is in there.

Tata digital is an umbrella term for everything digital by Tata the exact name of the app isn’t Tata Digital but TCP.

The bigbasket loyalty link provides much better information than everything else.
https://www.bigbasket.com/loyalty/

Few excerpts from the bigbasket page are
1.SHOP TO EARN TCP POINTS. Earn TCP point for every transaction across the Tata platform
2. What’s in store? Reward points, exclusive offers, experiences, privileges and much more.
3. Enjoy discounts with TCP points across any of our partner brands
4. You can enrol by simply downloading the TCP app and signing up

1 Like

Highlights of Management Interview today with ET Now.

Intimation of schedule of Analyst/Institutional Investors call/meet :

Interesting name caught my eye is Maverick Capital(Invested in Tata 1MG) and Carrhae Capital.

5 Likes

5 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

They are transferring Tata Cha to Indian hotels operating Taj hotels to streamline the FMCG business. Hope they don’t transfer Starbucks next.

2 Likes

It’s now really hilarious how this restructuring keep happening…plan of Tata Q coming to TCP and now Tata Cha going out …I am disappointed as long term shareholder here as I don’t know what to track and what to vision this company as…

As you rightly said, we don’t know what happens to Starbucks…

Why don’t they do it in one go or disclose vision so that minority investors know exactly what they are paying for …

Highly disappointed

It could be that they are serious about Starbucks in long term and with Tata Cha growing in scale, it was a competing issue…I don’t know …but that’s the only positive I can hope for… As finally Tata Cha started to do well…and finally Tata had found their mojo in indigenous QSR after decades…I am actually disappointed to part ways with this high growth baby…

Issue is that above all related to Starbucks would be speculation and you never know it’s future…even if it stays with Tata group or not or they divest etc.

At least Tata Cha would remain if they do well…

Disc. Invested, biased. No plan to sell because of above but would start looking at this company from new perspective now…no buy/sell recommendation. I can be completely wrong in my assessment above.

5 Likes

On second thought…Starbucks is in tie up with TCP because of strategic sourcing from Tata coffee and synergy across the coffee value chain…However lines are very thin…it is indeed not a forte for an FMCG company per se and if a Tata Cha is ideal for IHCL then so is Starbucks as it is similar business…

However if I have to speculate, with an MNC involvement here and their strategic initial tie up with Tata coffee… intercompany Tata transfer may not be that straightforward or simple as a Tata Cha and not something that Tata management can do as they will as here…an MNC and its vision is involved…

I personally see most value in the route of a demerger/spin off in future as an ideal way to delink the FMCG management but still be a part of TCP in ownership structure as long as this business remains with Tata…

Having said above, it is all but speculation…and we as minority investors would never know the roadmap ahead…

Disc. As always, I can be wrong in my assessment.

2 Likes

Sunil Dsouza has indicated that they don’t plan to hive off starbucks… In an interview to Mint, D’Souza, however, said the company will focus on expanding its coffee chain Starbucks. He said, in the last quarter, it opened 14 stores and the momentum on store opening will build up even further.

2 Likes

Agree, that is for now…a quarter back they didnt have any plan to transfer Tata Cha either…so we don’t know what future holds here…

1 Like

Having Tata cha and Starbucks under a single umbrella can lead to clash of interests. Starbucks may not be happy with having a competing chain under Tata consumer. This is the only explanation that comes to mind. What was the consideration for transfer is the more important point.

Also,Mr. D’ Souza has been workin on making Tata consumer lighter on its feet. A lot many foreign businesses have been sold off like the one they sold off in Australia, probably to improve balance sheet in the longer term.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

Can someone throw light on this? Is this to develop their own office/ Starbucks/ anything else?

1 Like

Looks extremely odd.

Did not understand this transaction by Tata Consumer - almost smells as it bailing out distressed group real estate companies. The amount involved is small at Rs50cr but what is a FMCG company doing increasing stake in a group real estate company by buying out another investee real estate company. Will check with a couple of brokers but seems very odd to me.

two questions - 1) why putting money in acquiring subs who are in the business of real estate development 2) seems Tata realty the JV partner is being bailed out by its stake being bought out by the cash rich FMCG partner.

You are right in mentioning that Tata consumer sould not be bailing a group company but that is a caveat we all need to accept when buying a group company.

Tata sons had mentioned sometime ago that they will be working on simplifying the group structure. Selling of Tata cha and buying of Tata real estate are such small transactions to that effect.

Why is Tata consumer buying a real estate business is confusing. But it will be a wait and watch situation for the investors.

Tata consumer has hived off a lot of international and domestic businesses and acquired TRIL busines but we are yet to see an effect on the mediocre ROE figures.

I would have been comfortable if a rationale was shared along with the announcement.

Please note the 3 points that are clearly given in the article

1. They are not buying TRIL, but are buying majority stake in TRILC (TRIL Constructions) - which is an SPV formed previously between Tata Consumer and TRIL for development of specific property in Bangalore
  2. Previously they already had 40%+ stake in this and now they will be having 80%+ stake with this buy
  3. With this buy, this SPV TRILC (and NOT TRIL) will become a subsidiary of Tata Consumer

So, it looks like this specific property maybe of specific interest/ownership to Tata Consumer and may be under development for them - being executed by this SPV, and now they are simplifying the ownership structure

4 Likes