Kamat Hotels (India) Ltd- A Possible Turnaround Story!

Hi All,

I have been following this company for sometime and it looks to be good turnaround story. Established in 1986 Kamat Hotels India Ltd. has an illustrious past, troubled present and a probable bright future in its hospitality ventures. The Group is headed by Dr. Vithal Venkatesh Kamat and is joined by the next generation, Mr. Vishal Kamat and the host of Professional team members.

THE ORCHID, a 5 star Ecotel Hotel in Mumbai is their flagship hotel and currently the backbone holding them together in the financial mess. Alongside this, they have another hotel under the brand name VITS in mumbai which is also doing fairly well. Both these hotels are located in close proximity to Mumbai Airport. Unfortunately, the other hotels of the group aren’t performing as per the plan and have dragged them under debt burden.

Kamat had built a 5-Star hotel under the Orhcid brand name in Pune to serve the demands of Common Wealth Games but the venture didn’t take off. Consequently, with increased debt on books and a slowdown in the hospitality industry (falling ARR & Occupancy rates) left them with losses and surrounded by CDR Issues. Later, the PE firm Clearwater Capital (which had invested $18 million in Kamat’s FCCB) also exited their investment in the group by taking a huge write-off.

However, in FY17 Kamat has again turned profitable and has pared its loan to Rs.410 Cr from Rs. 570 Cr. and is looking to bring it further down to a more comfortable level. Group has several properties which can go on block and raise the funds required to repay the lenders. Management has shown its intent of restoring the lost financial prosperity.

With improvement in occupancy rate, ARR (see tables below)- EBITDA levels and gradual reduction of debt makes Kamat a potential candidate for a turnaround story.

You can read few news articles using the link below to get a better sense of the story.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/kamat-hotels/article9627792.ece

Management Interview: Expect To Be Profitable In FY18: Kamat Hotels - YouTube

To summarize, the story has 2 key pillars- improving EBITDA levels and reduction of debt, currently both of these are complimenting each other. If the company is able to continue on its streak of reducing debt with internal accruals and a better deal from its lenders the results will be quite favorable. On the other hand, the exact same thing when looked from different vantage point will serve as the risk highlight.
Hence, this aspect of the story will serve both as an opportunity as well as the risk and I therefore request the forum members to share their thoughts and valuable insights to take the discussion forward.

Regards,
Yogansh Jeswani
Disclosure: Invested.

15 Likes

Kamat Hotels (India) Ltd. posted good Q1 numbers. You can check the detailed results by clicking here.
Substantial reduction in finance cost was the key highlight (see below).

Regards,
Yogansh Jeswani
Dislcosure: Invested

6 Likes

Interesting video link

7 Likes
1 Like

Hi Yogansh,
A very good find. hearty congrats.
Vithal Kamat’s book is worth reading.
Do you have any rough estimates of EPS for FY-18 and FY-19.
Looks to be re-rating candidate.
Prasad.

1 Like

Hi,

@Prasad_India apologies for the late reply. Investment in Kamat is more driven by the underlying turnaround story and management’s intent to clean up the financial mess so as to bring it back to the old glory, as echoed by them in various interviews (links are shared in my above posts).
Also, there was an improvement in the ARRs and occupancy rates which further strengthens the case of industry dynamic supporting the firm. Hope this helps!

Further, TOI in a recent article gives an optimistic view of the industry. Please use below link.
https://m.timesofindia.com/business/india-business/hotel-occupancy-highest-in-10-years/amp_articleshow/61137876.cms

Regards,
Yogansh Jeswani

Thanks @yogansh.
I observe that you have a sharp eye for identifying such ideas.
Thanks for sharing such stories.
Once again thanks bro.

Agree with @Prasad_In2dia. This is an interesting pick and it has been quietly making its moves. I saw the latest interview of the MD in CNBC and they have also lined up expansion plans. This looks very interesting from a 1-2 year perspective, if they are able to maintain the ARRs in their falgship properties and increase the ARRs in their other properties. Not a lot of info available in public domain. I guess lot of scuttlebut needs to be done. Anyways, good work @yogansh. Appreciate it.

Dear Team,

Indeed a nice idea. I would like to know hoe they have been able to reduce their interest cost in such large extent. As per ARFy17 it says it is one time settlement, do anyone knows what kind of settlement it is?

INDEBTEDNESS
Indebtedness of the Company including interest outstanding/accrued but not due for payment
(` In lakhs)
Secured Loans Unsecured Loans Deposits Total
Indebtednes at the beginning of the
Financial Year
Principal Amount 46,975.48 2,188.22 - 49,163.70
Interest Due but not paid 5,252.41 - - 5,252.41
Interest Accrued but not due - 107.60 - 107.60
Change in Indebtedness during the
Financial Year
Addition (Principal) - 9.62 - 9.62
Addition (Interest) 1,859.42 - - 1,859.42
Reduction (Principal) 3,169.75 109.40 - 3,279.15
Reduction (Interest) 2,805.12 - - 2,805.12
Reduction (Interest Accrued not due) - - - -
Indebtednes at the end of the Financial
Year
Principal Amount 43,805.73 2,088.44 - 45,894.16
Interest Due but not paid 4,306.71 - - 4,306.71
Interest Accrued but not due - 107.60 - 107.60

Here i do not see reduction in debt.

Thanks

Prashant

Finance costs came down by Rs 900 lakhs.
With debt restructuring this scrip looks to have enough stamina.
Let us see how market responds to this.
Prasad.

1 Like

Kamat repayment plan is as per excel sheet attached to it. It has taken from ARFy2017:Kamat repayment plan_march2017.xlsx (10.3 KB)

If we observe company need to pay Rs.174 crs in next 1-2 years. will they able to pay it?

IF yeas they can sail through , if not what can be happen next?

Prashant

Topline for Kamat Hotel is almost constant for fy16 and fy17. Increased bottomline is due to following factors

1. Decrease in expensed. Expensed decreased in almost all the head like cost of food & beverages decreased, cost of power decreased, salary of employees decreased. This is quite surprising given they have mentioned almost same occupancy for fy16 & fy17 also we have very persistent inflation of at least 4% through out the year in all the above mentioned heads.

2. Finance cost decreased from 40 crores to 28 crores the overall debt increased from 309 crores to 335cr. I see no mention of debt re-financing in fy17 annual report.

3. Also keep on mind exceptional item of 30crores in fy17 compares to 12 crores in fy16. Why company has to report exceptional item year after year.

HI Yogesh,

Can u please tell me how many properties they Own/ lease and management contracts?

Thanks

Hi All,

Kamat’s Management came on CNBC today. You can watch the interview from here.

@hazariwalapu Sorry, I don’t have this data handy. But, you can surely find it in the Annual Report and compile it from there and may be share it with all of us.

Cheers!

Aim to pare debt; hotels completely booked for New Year: Kamat Hotels

Download moneycontrol app: http://m.moneycontrol.com/mom

2 Likes

https://tourismbreakingnews.com/vits-signs-jv-with-exhicon-group-in-thailand/

Hi Ajay,

Though Vikram Kamat is related to the Kamat family but, I think he exited Kamat Hotels India Ltd.
As per AR17, Vikram Kamat has resigned from the post of director and VITS Hotels Worldwide might be his new venture. Currently, Vishal Kamat is the CEO of Kamat Hotels and is running the show.

Cheers!

1 Like

Withdrawing post basis guidelines.

1 Like

I have seen this video, but when CNBC anchor asked about how they are going to pare debt? there was no clear answer. Just we are planning to be debt free but How? Nobody knows…

Thanks for information… Similar massage given by CEO that they are looking for expansion which can seen in their quater financial sheet…

Vits is seems part of kamath hotels