Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Sorry. I pasted the wrong table (Updating it at the original place also now)

Year FCF Present Value
1 286 255.36
2 300.3 239.40
3 315.32 224.43
4 331.08 210.41
5 347.63 197.26
6 365.02 184.93
7 383.27 173.37
8 402.43 162.54
9 422.55 152.38
10 443.68 142.85

But the rest of my calculations were taken from the correct table.

Using 3% as long term growth rate, calculating the Perpetuity Value

Perpetuity Value = (443.68 * 1.03)/(0.12 - 0.03) = 5077.67

Present value of perpetuity value = 1634.87

Total PV of FCF + PV of Perpetuity Value = 3577.79

Outstanding shares = 2.9 crores

Intrinsic Value = 3577.79/2.9 = Rs. 1233.72

Screener.in’s Intrinsic Value = Rs. 189

They are using 16 times PEG into EPS. It’s a different formula than mine. My question is whether intrinsic value calculated using different formulas can vary so much?

Thanks…but screener doesnt seems to be given the intrinsic value for all scrips…ex bandhan bank

Thinking a little more about it, screener.in’s formula for calculating Intrinsic Value seems to be utter nonsense.

They are using 16 times PEG into EPS.

PEG ratio for undervalued companies is low.
PEG ratio for overvalued companies is high.

So multiplying it by 16EPS for undervalued companies would give you a low intrinsic value for undervalued companies. And a high intrinsic value for overvalued companies. Which makes no sense whatsoever.

just look at Nestle Intrinsic value 58614 :roll_eyes:

Is there anyone here from screener.in who can comment on their formula for intrinsic value?

There is an email address given in the Customization sheet of the downloaded Excel file. You can check with them.

screener.feedback@dalal-street.in

I too would like to know if the intrinsic value is near to approximation and we can consider it.

1 Like

where i can get the relative strength rankings and line for technical stock analysis.
i have been using zerodha kite for charts but unable to find that data.

i have also tried investing.com and money control with no success.
can you please share the source.

Thanks in Advance

I was going through dr Lalpath labs AR.
They have mentioned deposits with body corporates as 65 crores and interest esrnjng from the same as 1.7 corre.
What does the mean of body corporates?
How much percentage of interest we can expect from the same?

You can always ‘select’ an item you want in the ‘Create a Search Query’ field in order to see its description. Like so:

So, the ‘Intrinsic Value’ formula in Screener is just 16 x PEG x EPS, which looks like some convoluted way of doing a simple P/E Multiple valuation. I don’t think I have to comment on its accuracy.

1 Like

Hi VPs,

I am trying to make a simple stock price forecasting formula. Highly generalized. But can give approx estimate…Need your help to improve. Kindly share constructive guidance !!!

Assumptions & Logic
1.Time after 5 years

2.PE after 5 years will revert to mean (Avg last 10 years), If current PE is higher than mean.

3.If current PE is lower than mean then future PE will be current PE. This makes future PE conservative

4.Future EPS= EPS will grow @ CAGR of last 3 years profit growth compounded 4 times.

5.However if profit growth 3 years is more than 30% then moderate the forecast by 1/2. So a 40 % grower will grow by 20% in future

6.Future EPS*Future PE = Future price after 5 years

Sample Excel Attached…you can check the formula in line with assumptions

Price forecast model_5 Years.xlsx (15.8 KB)

@dineshssairam @Yogesh_s @phreakv6
Kindly have a look at the EPS forecasting model and help me with feedback. Given your experience and analytical skills, I am sure I can create a better framework with MoS built in. Thanks!

It’s a rubbish way for calculating value

PEG ratio for undervalued companies is low.
PEG ratio for overvalued companies is high.

So multiplying it by 16EPS for undervalued companies would give you a low intrinsic value for undervalued companies. And a high intrinsic value for overvalued companies. Which makes no sense whatsoever.

I am trying to corelate information between the cash flow statement & the Balance sheet.

This is for Annual Report 2017 for Take Solutions

Page numbers are pdf page numbers not page numbers are numbered on the document

Page 64 Balance Sheet
Page 65 P & L
Page 66 Cash flow

From the cash flow statement

Working Capital changes

Loans Advances, Trade Receivables & Other assets - 1690.23

Trade Payables, Liabilites & Provisions -155.66

Now I am trying to calculate these 2 numbers (1690.23 & 155.66) from the Balance Sheet

2016 2017 Increase
Loans & Advances 1721.3 2117.5 396.16
Receivable 3014.4 4367.7 1353.2
Investments 16.7 29.99 13.29
Inventory 215.45 173.86 -41.59
Cash 1283.3 1109.9 -173.31
Other 11.54 6.18 -5.36
Sum 1542.4

If you see the 1542.4 is not an exact match for the 1690.23

For the 155.66 - here is the difference is huge

2016 2017 Decrease
Borrowings 2496.3 1717.2 779.13
Payables 501.17 459.01 42.16
Provisions 107.19 68.77 38.42
Other 1325.5 1180.8 144.72
Sum 1004.4

So what is included/excluded that I am doing wrong?

i did the research and found the data in tradingview website

My apologies. I missed this earlier.

If I’m not wrong, this is essentially how a Multiples Valuation is done, at least some shade of it. I built a similar tool myself: Practical Thought Valuation Model.xlsx (14.8 KB)

In the end, I feel, a Multiples Valuation is too simplistic. I myself use the tool I’ve built to keep tabs on the Cost of Capital for my investments, but I don’t use it to actually value companies.

I think a Multiples Valuation is fine if your other research/reasons for investing in the company is as good as, say Charlie Munger’s or Prof. Bakshi’s. In absence of this, I find Valuing a company by multiplying two numbers criminal.

So to conclude, yes, your tool works as a great rule of thumb. But that’s exactly what you have to remember as well… it’s just a rule of thumb.

3 Likes

Cash and Borrowings come in the Financial Section of Cash Flow Statement, not in Working Capital changes. Note that still you may not get exact match as each item in Balance Sheet could have various sub components some of which may be treated differently while generating CFS.

Is having some portion of portfolio in gold a good option?

Gold is generally considered as hedge against inflation. So its advisable to have some allocation in it (not in jewelry form) , may be approx 5% or more if you are risk averse,

I know. I just listed everything from the Balance Sheet. I want to know what numbers were used to reach the Working Capital Changes.

Has anyone attended Dr. Vijay Malik’s ‘peaceful investing’ workshop ?

i am from Mumbai, from a non finance background.
they are having their next workshop in Hyderabad… i am planning to attend this one.

1. is it worth the time & effort (to & fro from Hyderabad) or should i wait for the workshop in mumbai ?
  2. is the content really helpful and possible to be absorbed in 1 day or is it too much in too little time, especially considering i have no formal academic financial qualification.