CDSL - Stock for our children

listen to the analyst meeting recording, in that the answer is given if I remember correctly following are charges

1. Yearly Fixed charges from each corporation with CDSL, these are listing fee
  2. CDSL cannot increase on its own. They have to take delegation to SEBI (?). So both NSDL/CDSL should do representation. Then regulatory body take decision to increase the cost
  3. Each demat account charges per year, not much but recurring revenue
  4. Corporates can choose CDSL or NSDL there is no competitive advantage, its up to them what they choose. This means CDSL cannot guarantee/influence(at least legally/officially) corporation to choose itself as DP

So we can be fairly sure that the major income is from
– yearly listing fee from corporates
– DMAT charges once a year
Both are regulated and a delegation need to be involved to change it.
How can CDSL increase its revenue
– get more customers
– get fees hiked.
recently there were proposal for below which can increase revenue of CDSL/NSDL which include
– DMATting of the private firms(the start ups and all private firms in India) . This is not realized yet.
– DMATting all insurance policies → This is materialized, but as per recent they choose “DigiLocker” solution by the govt. This is major revenue loss for the CDSL/NSDLs. Possibly due to govt has done lots of insurances using govt policies, So they want to keep it as less expensive as possible.

Edited: for spell mistakes

10 Likes

2 upcoming growth engine for CDSL

1. Dematization of non listed companies…
    There are lakhs of MSME and SME in India…

2. Dematization of all financial products… mainly insurance

When SEBI mandate the above 2… the number of demat accounts will grow…

4 Likes

LIC is bringing its own digital insurance platform. Also, on both points, why won’t we have CAMS as competitor ?

1 Like

SEBI comes as a Capital Market regulator and CDSL being a Depository is an entity under SEBI’s purview. Having said this, only instruments that can be traded in the market (primary/secondary) would fall under capital market.

By saying this, do you mean insurance products are likely to be traded?

2 Likes

Regarding the new announcement on insurance Dematization… I just want to find how it work. Will the insurance companies dematerialise or the customer have to do…

If customer have to do, many brokers like paytm, zerodha would open up opportunities to dematerialise. else the customer who have CDSL account can directly do it…

What about insurance policy holders who doesn’t have demat account? If I am not wrong they would prefer to dematerialise with their own demat partner (mostly NSDL)

When new policies are issued will that be dematerialised when issuing itself.

1 Like

Account additions continue to be impressive with about 46 lakh new accounts opened during Q2.

AJ
Disclosure: Remain invested.

3 Likes

Good questions.

However, Dematerialisation is a misnomer here. What is being looked at is digitising the insurance products which every industry participant would look at offering for the obvious benefits.

1 Like

Healthy trend of account additions continue:

AJ

4 Likes

Just a general question, what happens if is CDSL is not available ? Can Market function ?

https://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/malware-attack-settlement-activities-affected-at-india-s-depository-cdsl-122111801057_1.html

1 Like

did some more digging
i am really surprised at the nonchalant report they filled doesnt have too much details

since CDSL is a listed entity i think they should do better reporting and even more worrying is the fact that www.cdslindia.com is down too :frowning:
BTW : got some interesting info from Nitin (Zerodha) on the same topic
https://tradingqna.com/t/cdsl-unavalibility/139381?u=aveekbhat

3 Likes

14 lakh accounts added during the month of November 2022:

AJ

4 Likes

New share: CDSL to buy more than 46K squrefoot office space at Marathon Futurex-4.

Any update on the total investment in the property would be useful.

AJ

Account additions continue to be healthy.

AJ

5 Likes

@AJ41 good to see consistently updating data. So here is visuals of same

9 Likes

In my limited knowledge, I think we need to focus on transaction volumes growth as that largely determines the money CDSL makes. Is their a way we can get that data every month (like how we get similar data for MCX)?

2 Likes

News share: BSE to sell 2.5% holding in CDSL via OFS route.
I believe this is to bring down the shareholding to limit as set by SEBI.

AJ
Disclosure: Remain invested in CDSL and BSE.

3 Likes

Can you please elaborate more on the minimum shareholding threshold? I believe BSE holds 20% currently, is that the requirement from SEBI for exchanges ?

As per my understanding , SEBI have prescribed maximum 15% share holding

1 Like

The account addition continues to be healthy with nearly 18 lakh new accounts added during January 2023. Expect a disclosure on hitting 8 crore accounts soon.
Live company additions >200 for Jan.

AJ

1 Like