Piramal Enterprises Ltd

Latest credit rating report -
https://www.icra.in/Rationale/ShowRationaleReport/?Id=69155
ICRA takes note of the fact that debt funded acquisitions coupled with lower profitability for residual businesses have impacted the debtprotection matrix of PEL (excluding financial services business). ICRA will continue to monitor the impact of Piramal’s acquisitions on profitability & market share besides improvement in operating cash flows. Moreover PEL’s ability to monetize some of its investments to improve liquidity profile of the residual businesses and improvement in debt protection metrics remain important in maintaining its credit profile
Credit weaknesses: (1) Weak operating cash flows and return indicators for residual businesses (2) Financial profile characterised by leveraged capital structure and weak debt protection matrix (3) Ability to sustain asset quality for its financial services portfolio

Credit rating agency having positive outlook on Pharma and other business but negative outlook on their landing businesses.

3 Likes

Results for Q12019

Impressive Finance and Pharma business numbers, especially that GNPA %:

1 Like

Can someone find absolute number of NPA instead % . % is very much misguiding for the initial rapid loan growth as more new loan cover absolute NPA number in% term of measurement

2 Likes

Every quarter, I get here something that is not anticipated or understood easily. This quarter it is one off loss of such a high magnitude. While Board here heaps praises on transparency of Piramal Group, to me it is extremely difficult to predict any CONSOLIDATED range of numbers. Am I alone?

0.3% GNPA on a 47k cr book is ~141 crores. 3 yr lagged GNPA comes to 141/7611= 1.85%

2 Likes

It’s not good as Piramal Mgt claims

1 Like

Agree with you…! Very difficult to understand the Business structure with so many subsidiaries and Associates/JV. Even the results too are complicated to understand. 60 Subsidiaries/JV/Associates and Parent company corresponds to revenue of 2900 Cr of which 2000 Cr are not reviewed by Auditor.

Even results are difficult to understand most of the times.
Results of 25 Subsidiaries are neither audited by Deloitte nor by any other…Deloitte just rely on what management tells !

Disc: Tracking , No Investments

7 Likes

No wonder, ownership of MF institution is near Zero in PEL

A very valid point.

If some small cap would have done it then people would have screamed “chor company” and shorted the stock to hell.

But Ajay Piramal is above any suspicion.

3 Likes

Why did the management have to take the 452 crs write off in the first place itself?

The Imaging business was sold at Rs. 7.99crs, which is much below its carrying value.

Either was the management wrong by a wide margin in estimating the value of this business and hence carried it at such high value or they are wrong now in selling a 452 crs business for 7.99 crs (fire sale)?

Why did the management not take the write off / impairment before the sale in a structured / one-time fashion and why did they wait for this event to come up?

No wonder it has delivered 29% annualized returns over last 30 years
MF owing shouldn’t be used as a yard stick…FLL’s holds major chunk and that shouldn’t be either considered as +ve…as long as the incremental earnings comes…i am happy to stick my neck out and will hold it…and if someone wants to hold a diversified business in one company…this is it

Disc:Super bullish and too biased

3 Likes

“Disc:Super bullish and too biased” You need not say this, Sir. But the questions about 452 Cr write off are still valid.

1 Like

Please see the annual report page 272, the imaging subsidiary had a negative networth of 400 Crs of so. I dont recall the exact accounting, but for a 100% subsidiary, the carrying value is passed through the P&L only on disposal. The holding in shriram group also is a bit similar to that …company does not pass the changes in the value of this holding in the P&L and is adjusted against the networth. If the PEL were to dispose off this holding, then the gains would pass through the P&L

6 Likes

[quote=“Mahendra243, post:974, topic:324”]
No wonder it has delivered 29% annualized returns over last 30 years
“past performance is no guarantee of future results” . Business model of past was full of Cash…present model is full of debt…past Abbott deal was at premium…preset deal of Imaging was at loss…Past Piramal was very conservative in doing deal…present piramal is doing lightning speed deal of 1000 crores…still counting on his ability!!

2 Likes

It is still been contested…no one is gulity unless proven…flashnet they have issued clarification…i dont see anything wrong in that

for financial services/lending debt is the backbone…dont say me that banks shouldnt raise capital via equity and other debt instrument…that’s how it works

pel

Thank you for correcting me sir.

Just another doubt: Does this mean that the net worth of the company would have no impact due to this write off?

yes, thats my understanding. This is the case with subsidiary and associate companies if i recall correctly. In case of associate companies there is further accounting of dividends which pass through P&L and deducted from the book value while adding the share of profits at the same time. So in effect share of profit - dividend paid is added to the holding value of an associate company which raises the networth. Allegran and some of shriram holdings are being accounted this way

5 Likes

Piramal Enterprises AGM Notes

For once attendees fawning over Ajay Piramal were fewer in number and he had to answer some tough questions from shareholders!

He opened the meeting by informing shareholders that the company has had to write of Rs 400 crore as a one-time exceptional item following the sale of its Imaging business. He said the performance of the Imaging business was dragging down the margins of the pharma vertical which would improve in the coming quarters.

Later during the interaction with shareholders, PEL’s decision to sell at a loss the Imaging business it bought from Bayer six years was questioned by investors.

Ajay Piramal said the Imaging business was basically used in the drug discovery for Alzheimer’s and the research in this field was not giving the desired results. Bigger companies like Astra Zeneca and others were exiting the field of Alzheimer’s disease and PEL also decided to cut its losses and exit the Imaging business.

For those who have been invested for long in Piramal Enterprises, exits like these are common when a business fails to achieve these goals. Ajay Piramal had simply shut down the company’s molecular research division some years ago after several molecules under development failed Clinical tests. At that time, he said the company would not throw good money after bad and chose to exit the research business. It was not sold, but shut down instead and the scientists in the team retrenched.

Another shareholder sought more details on the performance of the DRG business, one of the three verticals set up by Ajay Piramal after the sale of the formulation business to Abott ten years ago. This gentleman who had done some amount of research on PEL’s performance pointed out that the management was only showing DRG’s revenue growth in rupee terms and sought more information about its performance on dollar terms.

Ajay Piramal admitted that DRG’s
performance in

dollar terms was
poor.

He said the nature of the information management business has been undergoing a big change. From detailed research provided after a period of time, DRG’s customers are looking for research and information in real time and accordingly PEL is restructuring (Piramal did not use this word) this vertical.

He pointed out that the company was strengthening its team in India by hiring more people and the DRG business would hopefully turnaround “not next year but in the next two-three years”. “The need for data is growing and the future is very bright,” he said.

Piramal’s decision to merge the sick Piramal Phytocare with PEL was also subject to some questions from shareholders. One of them recalled the logic behind the setting up of Phytocare which was to carry out research and manufacturing in the field of herbal medicines. Ajay Piramal said it was decided to bring back Phytocare back into the field of PEL as there was not enough infrastructure for the herbal medicines.

The performance of the INDIAREIT funds, which is not part of Piramal Enterprises, also came in for criticism from a shareholder who apparently lost a lot of money in that business. He wanted to know from the management how it was so bullish on Piramal Enterprises’ real estate business when it was not able to generate much returns to investors in the INDIAREIT funds.

Piramal said the core business of PEL was different from the INDIA REIT businesses. He said PEL lent to the top few (I think he gave the figure eight, I am not sure) companies in the real estate business and spoke at length about the processes adopted by PEL in lending to customers.

Like in the last AGM he pointed out that promoters owned 50 per cent stake in PEL and thus it was in his interest to ensure that capital lent to borrowers came back to the company.

After the AGM I went upto the dais asked Piramal if there was any over lapping between PEL’s clients and companies that were in INDIA REIT’s portfolio. Piramal said there was no overlap.

He also pointed out to the investor who had lost money in INDIAREIT that the management team of the fund has been changed and the newer funds were doing very well.

disclosure: holding Piramal Enterprises for long in core portfolio

shiv kumar

39 Likes