Nifty PE crosses 24|A statistically informed entry-exit model!

How to know the current EPS of Nifty? The following article from moneycontrol website talks about EPS of 577 for FY19 assuming 20% growth. Does it mean the FY18 EPS (Mar 2018) will be 480?

I plan on keeping my gains till they come under LTCG, (which they will before the next puts expire), so 0% tax. I’m not sure what you mean by time value of money in this case, since its only 2% of capital so at a 10% Cost of Capital, its negligible (~0.2% of capital). As far as peace of mind goes, I would probably be 100% in cash at these valuations, so I consider any return above cash (~7%*3/12 == 1.75%) to be great. Since I used Zerodha, commissions totaled to ~Rs. 200, pretty much 0 relative to my PF.

I am not giving you any recommendations for what to do your own money, I just felt like sharing my strategy on this forum. I am happy with my holdings - they are a diversified set of undervalued companies trading at a large discount to the broader indices. As far as debt/equity balance goes, its hard to achieve any returns close to this with any meaningful allocation to debt (~20% or above), while lower allocations don’t save you in a broader market decline.

As far as putting good money after bad ideas, the quality of ideas lies in the beholders eyes. You can manage your own PF risk as you feel comfortable :slight_smile:.

5 Likes

Hi, where can we buy put call which are due in dec 18? I thought we can only buy options for current and next months only?

btw - many well known value investors/hedge fund managers such as Seth Klarman, and Prem Watsa are known to use derivatives as hedges and to magnify returns. I can see how you would have a bad opinion of derivatives given they are usually used for speculation, however, there are times where they can be valuable for any absolute return oriented investor. You should read Joel Greenblatts’ “You can be a stock market genius” to see how long term options can be used in a value approach.

@kapildhaka You can find them on zerodha under “NIFTY18DEC series” and use the NSE website to check out the option chain.

1 Like

I am not totally against Options as you suggest. There could be situations where Options will help…buying index Put Options to hedge the stock portfolio is not one of them (for reasons already elaborated in my posts above). These crutches are for folks who don’t know what they are doing, IMHO.

Thanks for mentioning Joel Greenblatt’s “You can be a stock market genius” book, which I happen to be re-reading this week. He recommends buying LEAPS and Call Options for special situation stocks. He suggests that buying LEAPS and Call Options could provide some advantages & leverage (instead of directly buying the underlying stock) when the date for special situation event is known (very important to ensure time value decay is minimized). These are stock Options, not index Options. BTW, stock-specific LEAPS and long-term Options don’t exist in India. Only short-term stock options exist, but they are illiquid for most stocks. I am attaching the relevant pages (with my highlights) for other forum members’ benefit. LeapsAndOptions.pdf (1.4 MB)

BTW, there’s a free offer coupon for Ginsu Knives on the chapter’s last page (see PDF). Greenblatt has a snarky sense of humour, don’t you think? Good luck for 2018.

2 Likes

Written in 2009… Still makes sense to me.

The writer expresses regret for having held his entire PF in 2007-2008 fall. He dearly wishes the gods to give him the rigidity to follow the wisdom of Nifty PE Bell Curve.

4 Likes

Ok. Now the million dollar question is what’s the stance of the author? Has he exited most of it ? :slight_smile: or changed the strategy ? As per NSE, the current PE is 26.70.

PS: May be the top contributors (@Donald @hitesh2710 ) can shed some light here. Since the thread might be outdated or if they’ve updated the strategy and posted somewhere in the thread, please help to pin it for new comers.

3 Likes

same arguments, different times.

In reality the PE Bell curve does not change much.

Back in 2010 Donald turned seller due to high Nifty PE, but other participants were putting up reasons to hold on to the stocks just a few months more.

From subsequent posts, I gather that back in 2010 FII were pumping in money. Which could hv been the reason why in 2011 Nifty became PE < 17 without a crash.

This is bad news for us in 2017, because now FII are net sellers. This happened only in 2008-09 bear market because of Lehman driven worldwide panic to get back the cash into the US economy. However, in 2011-12 and 2015-16 FII were still buying, so the fall was fairly cushioned.

1 Like

Donald did indeed want me to come back and read what he had written… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

About a year from when Donald raised the alarm… Hitesh updates us in middle of the bear market.

3 Likes

This was the last post from Mr.Vachhani…

Moreover, there was no post made on this thread for three whole years!

1 Like

Hello @manish962 , can you let us know how you arrived at 6300 level at that time to decide on “start selling seriously”?
I am dumbstruck to see that your figure of 6300 was spot on! How do you do that?

When I look back at the history / charts, there seems to be a market fall which looks like being triggered when it touched 6300 in October 2010. Next month in November 2010 also it went slightly above 6300, but then the downfall continued.

Being new to this analysis, I would appreciate detailed calculation / explanation.

Do not take my words seriously as most of the times I may have gone wrong. Predicting future trend is always a shot in the dark and has some probability to hit the bull’s eye.
For this particularly instance, the previous high of 6300 was a possible target for the bulls and it also provides the resistance. At that time nifty RSI was high(78-80) which shows bulls putting all the weight to take the nifty to the new high and while doing so they spent all the energy. So only possible scenario was a side way consolidation or a downward trend. So it consolidated for some time but during that time RSI moved down and hence the downward trend followed.

8 Likes

how would you use LEAPS in the indian markets?

Manishji, you having seniority in terms of experience and market cycles, you have seen success and failure. Therefore, pls shed light on the current scenario. As if you were not invested at all.

some interesting numbers in terms of money supply.

Total deposits as on March 31, 2016 was Rs 98,41,290 crore, as against Rs 89,72,710 crore till March 2015. I checked 2017 numbers and it is 105 lakh crore. I have checked the number of 2007-2008 are approximately 50 lakh crore. By the way bulk of the money is in term deposits.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/56188474.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

1 Like

Along with Nifty PE value, the frequency of posts on this thread would also be a good indicator or a heat map.

In between Apr 2011 and Feb 2014 there were ZERO posts on this thread. Yes… zero posts… and this was Nifty price movement…

Only after the breakout in March 2014 first week, came the first post :slight_smile: That’s when “Value Investing” was born. Before that there was no such thing. Stocks-are-crap was the tag-line.

Therefore, I expect that in dull markets, when prices are deflated, very few people will be interested in even talking about stocks or buying them, let alone making Investing a full time career.

If you agree, Mr.Moderator, kindly provide a tool to track the number of posts per week on this thread… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I usually refrain from entering into online debates because it usually devolves into a slugfest, like this. Since you are new to options, let me explain to you how my Greenblatt’s comment made sense.

As you had said, Greenblatt prefers to use long term “call” options on certain undervalued stocks/special situations to limit downside and keep the upside. However, (again, as you have said), stock options are non existent for most small/midcaps, and only the near month expiry contracts are moderately liquid, that too only for large caps. So, how can we get long term dated call options in India?

Well, if you have read about put-call parity, you will know that going long futures and buying put options is mathematically equivalent to going long call options. Thus, if I could buy long term put options on my stocks along with holding them, I would be effectively long call options on my portfolio. I thus use a crude approximation - that the NIFTY will be highly correlated to my portfolio - not an unreasonable assumption (this is also a view shared by most participants in this thread, as they are worried about NIFTY P/E even though their individual stocks are undervalued). Hence buying a NIFTY put effectively plays the part of buying single stock options.

Additionally, if you choose to attack this assumption, I may add, the Implied Volatility of Index Options is significantly lower than single stock ones, so it ends up being a cheaper version of those options or I could use this “relative cheapness” to buy a larger number of puts than my nominal amount of stocks held.

Thus, by going long a portfolio of undervalued stocks and buying long dated NIFTY puts, I am effectively simulating a long call option on my own basket of stocks. I believe that its a good time to get market exposure using call options, given how overvalued the market is, rather than sit in cash or pure equities.

3 Likes

Have captured my thoughts on current market and way ahead in following blog (Extension of thoughts of late sir Parag parikh). Special thanks to @jamit05 to provide latest NIFTY (credits given in the blog).

https://factsbeyondnumbers.wordpress.com/2018/01/05/the-current-state-of-indian-market-and-way-ahead/

5 Likes