India Digital Media Landscape: a first-cut

A good article on the OTT players and importance of good content

1 Like

Why India is attractive to tech Titans ?

1 Like

Noticed that Saregama is not mentioned in this thread. They have also gotten into the fray with Yoodlee Films in creating content for OTTs i.e apart from the music IP.

Three movies completed, rights for two of them sold to Netflix and the other one under negotiation. I watched one of them (Ajji on Netflix) and was impressed by the quality.

These fit right there will Netflix’s other Original content in terms of quality.

5 more films coming in this quarter. Considering it takes them just 18-21 days to make a film and none of these are the traditional hero-worship type movies, their costs are low. However their production values are top-notch (Check out this brand film which has bits from their first 3 movies) with very good cinematography and sound (mostly recorded live on set for realism). Subjects as well are very youth oriented, sometimes multi-lingual and aimed at the typical Netflix watcher - in the Crime/Thriller/Romance genre.

I think in terms of content and scope, Yoodlee Films seems a better bet in the Content space where there is a lot of demand from OTT players like Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hotstar. However, not sure how exactly Saregama is monetising its content with Netflix and what were the kind of deals made for the two movies.

Disc: Invested in Saregama

3 Likes

Data points related to India’s Current Digital trends & potential:

A Target Group Index report suggests that 61% of India’s prolific internet growth is now coming from its regional belts, tier 2 and tier 3 cities.

India in 2017 had only 20% of 4G/LTE subscription, still, we have a huge runway for 4G high-speed internet penetration in tier2, tier3, and villages.
As the 4G/LTE adoption will increase the potential consumer for desi local content should increase disproportionately.

2 Likes

A piece on Hindu businessline about data consumption.

1 Like

About Digital advertisements and its future: If you are interested, you can go to the website of a co “Trade desk Inc” TTD in the US. They are one of the leader in pure play digital advertisement having about 10% global market share as a technology company assisting advertisers through a cloud based platform. Listen to their conference calls and you will get a very good understanding on where the industry is going, TTD is growing at 50% plus every year for last several years. In short - the CEO is gung ho about it. the industry will be a 1 Tn dollar industry from 700 Bn in next 10 yrs. And digital advertising will take a major share out of the 1 Tn. According to him, the fastest growth is from connected digital TV and in mobile video.

Here is the link for the latest concall of TTD - for those who are interested. You will get a wealth of info.

http://investors.thetradedesk.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=254422&p=irol-EventDetails&EventId=5274286

1 Like

James Murdoch: Transforming the Future of Entertainment

1 Like

Guys, any idea why it bought it? How Media and kabaddi league are related.

After some more digging I found some reasons why I didn’t invest. This is not a recommendation.

1. The company invested into a startup company.

The other founder and large investor of Silly Monks are also an investor. The founder of the company they invested in looks very accomplished and valuations have risen quite a lot since SM invested. I have no qualms with either putting money into a startup company, but doing so with share holder money(regardless of if it was a good investment) when they had indicated it would be used for other purposes is a little distasteful. Or atleast some clarity would have been good.

1. https://www.nseindia.com/corporate/SILLYMONKS_06012019171039_Outcome_008.pdf

Waiting on more clarity about the same. Results should make it more clear

1. Looks like the company has a few luxury cars on it’s books. Not sure if that is warranted.
1 Like

Same reason I exited after the IPO. I decided to take a plunge in IPO ( even though valuations were high) because the sector headwinds are favorable. But later realized that this would turn into a nightmare if held for a long time !

Be very careful in dealing with such management. They may take you for a ride in their ‘expensive cars’ and may leave you in the middle of a desert !

Silly monks has appointed a new Chairman recently. In the communication it was mentioned that the sales were increased in the lockdown period.

The six months H1 2019-20 results were good and the company paid interim dividend of Rs.1 on pre-bonus equity.
https://sillymonks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Un-Audited-–-Half-–-Yearly-Financial-Results-–-30.09.2019.pdf
It has applied for listing in NSE main board. https://archives.nseindia.com/corporate/SILLYMONKS_30052020155817_IntimationtoNSEMigrationApplication.pdf
Share holding pattern does not indicate any distribution pattern.
The movie George Reddy released in H2 of 2019-20 was reasonably successful.

The stock is stable in a range Rs.22.75 to Rs.27.65 for 3 months on very thin volumes.

1 Like

Does anyone have a view on this and the advantages Network18 will have after this merger.

This restructuring was anounced by the company a couple of months back.

All the four companies proposed to be merged have anounced improved results for Q4. After the announcement of investment of Facebook in Jio, the TV18 counter is attracting a lot of interest. All the digital businesses of Ambani group should do well.

1 Like

They are set to partner up with Netflix for India centric content, this can be a huge opportunity for Network18