G M Breweries..are we ignoring its potential?

Completely agree with you, and that is why I said that value is of no use if growth isn’t there. What made interested in GM (and again this coming from the value and common sense point of view) was at how much discount the business is available to its real economic value. We know people who consume “Desi” aren’t going to stop and probably that 7-8% might or will continue. The question is, will the market in its rational way will at least value the security at its economic value at certain point.
With all the major negative in the business, major being the lack of pricing power - the business have constantly achieved high returns on capital with constant dividend payout with cash conversion cycle as its best. Again, I am coming only from the value point here. If I am buying the whole business today in 526 crs (a debt free comapny) - I would be recovering the whole amount in pre tax earnings within 10-12 years.

“unless in the form govt. policy” - That’s just too bad then
I am trying to learn more here.

2 Likes

The co enjoys pricing power. Quantitative details used to be disclosed till 2017 and the co has increased prices every year from Rs 97 per bulk liter in 2009 to Rs 210 per bulk liter in 2017. The CAGR of price realizations is in-fact a healthy 10.15% from 2009 - 2017. In fact most of its topline growth has come from price increases and not volume increases ( volume increased by 1.6% CAGR over the same period).

One can also see that demand is relatively inelastic - i.e the price hikes have not diminished the demand.

I have posted this data sourced from the AR’s earlier

Thanks
Bheeshma

7 Likes

GM Breweries recieves a licence to manufacture hand santitizers for 3 months

2 Likes

@bheeshma the average 30 day volume of the share is only 72500. Isnt that quiet low and a cause of concern? Kindly advise on your thoughts
Disclosure: Invested at current levels,

Hi @ramaxcoder,

I am not sure I am qualified to comment on low volumes and it’s interpretation. However I think the float is low with 75% or so owned by promoters and somewhere around 1.8 cr shares outstanding - so wouldn’t be worried in general. If you have anything specific do share.

2 Likes

The 2019 AR gives a breakup of financial investments, about Rs 182 Cr split across mutual funds, tax free bonds, FD, preference shares and equity shares. A more detailed breakup is not given.

Any idea what kind of mutual funds or which preference shares they have invested in?

1 Like

It has invested 5.11 cr in preference shares of IL&FS and is carrying that investment at cost. Rest it doesnt provide breakup

1 Like

Another point is that their is discrepancy in tax rate provisioned and actual tax paid out.Is it not a red flag that Co tax payout rate is around 16% only. Is there something I am missing out ??

1 Like

A large part of the company’s current liability is termed as statuary liability can someone explain what this means?

GM Breweries AR 2020 notes

Maharashtra being significantly impacted by Covid19, Q1 and Q2 FY21 will be a bit tough for the company. Company’s strong balance sheet and their strong brand name will help them to get through it.

• In spite of tough and adverse market conditions the company was in a position to maintain and infact marginally improve the net turnover. However, due to inordinately high levels of Raw Material prices there was a sharp fall in the profit before taxes.
  • Gross margins declined from 34% in FY19 to 28% in FY20.
  • Plant Location
    Village Narangi, S.Veer Savarkar Marg,Virar (East), Dist - Palghar- 401 305 Maharashtra State.
  • Data gathered from The State Excise Department shows that the company contributes about 25 to 30 % of the total Excise duty for country liquor in the whole of Maharashtra.
  • Company enjoys virtual monopoly in country liquor in the districts of Mumbai, Thane & Palghar.
  • It is the single largest manufacturer of country liquor in the State of Maharashtra. The company has capacity to process 13.76 crore bulk litres of country liquor per annum out of which only about 50.82 % has been utilized last year. The company is taking all possible steps to utilize the surplus capacity by extending its business to interior districts of Maharashtra taking advantage of its brand image.
  • To overcome the problem of shortage, wide price fluctuation and heavy breakages in glass bottles, the Company has started marketing all sizes of country liquor in PET bottles which has gained wide acceptance from the consumers. During the year under review about 69.22% of the company’s total sale consisted of PET bottles.
  • The government of Maharashtra through a notification has banned use of PET bottles for filling alcoholic liquor with effect from April 01, 2016. Various trade bodies of the industry have filed writ petitions in the Hon. Bombay High Court challenging the legality of the notification. The Hon. Bombay High Court has admitted the writ petitions and granted interim stay in the matter. The stay is in force till date and the Hon. Bombay High Court has not passed the final judgment in the matter. As Company’s all bottling lines have been designed to handle both glass and PET bottles final outcome in the matter will not have any impact on the manufacturing operations of the company.
  • The company has invested a sum of Rs.5.11 Crores in IL&FS by way of preference shares and the company has received dividend on these shares for the year 2017-18. Even though IL&FS is presently undergoing a liquidity crisis, the government and other public sector bodies are doing their best to infuse liquidity and resolve the matter. In view of the above the company is carrying its investments at cost.
  • Covid Impact
    • Due to the lockdown imposed by the Government of India / Maharashtra on account of Covid 19 pandemic the company had to shut down its manufacturing operations with effect from March 23, 2020.
    • The Company had lost about a week’s business during the financial year 2019-20 on this account. The loss of Turnover / Profit on this account for such a short period of time did not have any material impact on the operations of the company in FY 20.
    • The operations resumed on a limited scale from May 20, 2020 after a period of about two months. Due to shortage of labour, till the date of preparation of this report, the plant is operating at about 40 to 45 percent capacity only.
    • Further liquor outlets in the district of Mumbai and Thane which constitute major market for company’s products have not been granted permission to open and it is not certain till date when this market will be allowed to resume business. It is also not known definitely till date when the workforce left to their home towns will return back.

Regards
Harshit Goel

4 Likes

Had a quick look at the annual report. Positives:

1. Company is a clear leader in Country liquor and has grown over the years
  2. Business generates lots of cash
  3. Good amount of surplus investments on balance sheet

Negatives:

1. Company has been investing lot of money in property - this is bad - how does this benefit the listed company?
  2. Low dividend payout

I think members should attend the online AGM and strongly question the dividend policy and utilization of cash flows. One should also try to understand the strategy on growth and risk to margins given increase in input prices. If these things can be improved, there is value.

Disc: Have a tracking qty.

12 Likes

Some questions I would like to add are regarding its product pricing history.

1 - What was the pricing of 1 bottle of GM Santra, GM Doctor, GM Dilbahar and GM Limbu Panch in 2005, 2010, 2015, and 2020?
2 - How many bottles of each product were sold in 2010, 2015 and 2020?
3 - Why aren’t they putting these things in their annual reports?

The major doubt I have is can they successfully pass on the costs to the alcohol consumer? Because the people who consume this don’t usually have a decent financial position. With their consistent earning power it seems that they may be able to pass it on. But what I would like to know is with the slow, rising disposable income of even the poor people in our country, what strategy does company use to pass on their price risks from government regulations or raw materials to end consumer. Do they reduce the filling per bottle or have they had increased their prices in the past. Or do they have to absorb it. Also since country liquor is more harmful for consumers, would there be a shift in trend for the poor people to shift to cheaper branded alternatives with their rising disposable income?

1 Like

Volumes used to be reported until 2017 after that it was made optional so cos stopped reporting it in their AR’s. The co has been increasing prices every year by 10% of so on an average per bulk liter from the data available till 2017.

The business is simple to understand - the price of its main raw material i.e ENA dictates how much margins it’s earns. The volumes are fairly stable.

1 Like

Hi @bheeshma. I didn’t find the price per bottle for each of their products. Maybe I missed out on something. Can you point me to the exact annual report where I may find it? And yes the simplicity of it is what makes it so attractive.

1 Like

Oh. Okay. So it is not price per bottle but price averaged over volume on a per litre basis. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

It is true that company has is virtually debt free (Although company avails overdraft facility and pays interest on it) and has stronghold in three districts of Maharashtra. However, annual revenue growth is marginal (less than 10%) and since Indirect taxes (excise, MVAT) eat away 74% of Revenue, Net margin suffers. Furthermore, higher cost of raw material adds insult to injury. One more thing that I would like to highlight here that since sales also includes indirect taxes component, any slight increase in taxes would also inflate the sales (it will not have any effect on net margin though) thereby giving the impression that the company is sales is growing. The company itself has admitted that high level of taxation and frequent changes in laws are common.

After seeing financial statements, one can observe that company rarely makes any effort to explain things, and occasionally has decided to omit useful facts over the years. For instance, company did not explain what exceptional items were in 2016, similarly we don’t know much about investment property, capital advances, deposit against demand in dispute, statutory liability. Although one thing can be inferred from note on capital work-in-progress that investment property also includes properties under construction. If company is engaged in manufacturing of country liquor, work in progress capital should have operation related stuff other rather investment property.

Furthermore, if you look at what other investment instruments company holds, you will get the feeling that the company is slowly digressing from its core operations and giving more attention to investments. For instance, the company is consistently increasing its assets in investment area (MFs, Bonds, investment property etc.) and at the same time, PP&E assets are decreasing. Now, one might argue that company has excess capacity and it is only utilizing 50% of that. I also agree, however for more than 5 years, company is staying that its annual capacity to produce country liquor is 13.76 crore bulk litres which is enough to meet the demands at least for the next Five years and the Company does not foresee any technological obsolescence for its products. Well, five years have already passed, demand did not reach close its its 13.76 bulk litre capacity. However, company is marginally increasing its capacity utilization over the years. But at this rate, company would need to expand its capacity in next 15 to 25 years and till then they have all the money to invest into other financial instrument. Why not use that money to expand its customer base in other regions of India.

Current ratio and quick ratio are also not very impressive.

Similarly, If you see CF statement you will notice that operating CF has one entry titled other Financial Assets – NC(Fixed Deposit) worth 19 crores that company redeemed in 2020. Correct me if I am wrong but it should be in investing section.

I’m also anxious about promoter/management, given the fact the Almeida family is taking home more than 5% of profit (PBT) which is fixed and not linked to any performance.

Disc: Not invested yet

1 Like

Negatives

1. I called multiple wine shops in Mumbai and Pune. No one is selling these brands. Everyone says this is a desi brand and we sell foreign brands.

Not sure if the sales figures that are mentioned in the annual report are authentic or not.

1. This company is pushing its cash into real estate properties. Around 100 crores are invested in real estate. Which is not a good strategy to maintain cash I guess.

2. Highly concentrated in Maharashtra and no other states. If the government bans liquor in Maharashtra then the entire business sinks. The risk is too high.

Positives :

1. Very good cash flow. This is a cash-rich company.

2. Sales are increasing YoY but at a slow rate.

3. Business is available very much undervalued based on P/E x P/BV.

4. Return on capital employed is good.

5. Margins are good.

6. Zero debt company.

4 Likes

Does anyone know the reason for the recent run up in the stock price?

The same spike happened in Associated Alcohol as well. So I guess this is due to the expectation of alcohol consumption during festive season.