Understanding overnight fund portfolios

Hi @Investor_No_1,

As far as I know, one has the option of using the NSDL and CDSL electronic demat share/equity delivery systems, called SPEED-e and EASIEST respectively. The only legitimate use for a POA is for a broker to take shares from your account and put it in the brokerage pool account. And those services take care of that.

This was actually mentioned in an NSDL advisory notice that was sent by email dated 5th December 2019, after the Karvy thing happened. I’ve linked to an online version which has essentially the same content as the email version. Before that I had not heard of it, or if I had I didn’t understand what it meant. Apparently these services have been in existence for a long time, but not a single broker I have ever talked to has ever mentioned the option. They always tell you that you need to sign a POA, which appears to be a lie. I’m trying to get it to work for me, but have been experiencing a fair amount of resistance from various directions. Lots of double talk. I.e. “why do you want to use this, giving us a POA makes is so much easier for everyone and ensures a smooth trading experience” . That kind of thing. And NSDL customer service also seems to be fairly dire. Big surprise. Of course the whole pandemic situation in Bombay is not helping.

I wrote about this in another thread, and someone came along (from Zerodha?), and said it was very risky for brokers to sell shares without having the shares with them. You can see my post at

and also see the following responses. The gentleman in question who responded to me, @Nikhil.A, also mentioned a post about “CDSL TPIN”, whatever that is, but I have not yet looked into that.

See also the thread

Ask the bank to cancel the POA. This actually happened to me. I told Standard Chartered that I wanted to use SPEED-e (they use NSDL). They were not happy, but said that if I wanted to do that, I needed to cancel my POA with them. I was fine with that, because I signed it back in 2018 without really reading and understanding it, and didn’t want a POA anyway. They made the whole process quite difficult - they also have terrible customer service - but I hope it is finally processed. Remember that you can always submit demat slips manually. That’s the ultimate fallback.

1 Like