Trent -- A value unlocking story from the house of TATA

After lot of time, I was looking over strategy of Trent. I noticed a positive surprise that Tata CliQ, launched by Tatas back in somewhere around 2016 or so and owned by Tata Unistore - is a joint venture between Tata Industries and Trent!

Off late Tata CliQ seems to be doing significantly well. I tried to find exact ownership structure but couldn’t so far. At best could find that lion’s share of 90% is held by Tata Industries. It leaves a significant minority 10% stake with Trent in this upcoming Online marketplace. However, there were some rights issues of the parent Tata Unistore in last couple years to which I think only Tata Industries applied…so not sure on final ownership by Trent.

Also, earlier Tata CliQ seemed to sell exclusive Westside merchandise but that also changed eventually and most recently Trent launched Westside.com the sales of which were growing at almost 30% mom recently…

@Chins others who have more knowledge on the ownership structure and roadmap of Tata Unistore/Tata CliQ …do pitch in.

Disc. Invested. Not a buy/sell recommendation. Post for academic purposes to learn more about ecommerce strategy of Trent

5 Likes