MOIL 270.65 235.15 3%
INDOCO 338.24 323 3%
DEEPAKFERT 691.95 636.25 3%
NLCINDIA 137.88 135.45 2%
NMDC 123.5 155.9 2%
HINDCOPPER 158.32 143.2 1%
NATIONALUM 96.3 92.05 1%
CCL 650 625 0%

A portfolio that is currently in Churn and has been for the last few months. I have tried to take advantage of the extended bull run of the last few months.

But now am looking to Stabilize at around the current one. Have not included Cash of about 10% in the above.

Ever since COVID, I attempted to have a portfolio of around three buckets.

Capital Protection (CP): Mostly PSU Dividend players and a few frontline stocks (40% Allocation)

Capital Growth (CG): Bucketed around Industrial/ Cap Goods and Retail/FMCG (40% Allocation)

Momentum: Play the Flavor of the season and try to earn a solid 10-20% in a few months.(10-20% depends on cash I keep in hand)

Rationales:

Tata Consumer (CG): I discussed this earlier in another thread. Apart from the mainline tea and coffee business which are slow growers, the rest of the businesses such as Nourishco, Soulfull, and Sampann are in growth mode but to reach a sizeable contribution of sales and profits would take at least 3-5 years. If the company maintains current trends and keeps adding market share and volume growth in the new brands, I will look to hold for a long time to come. I hope to add another 3-5% to this if it cracks meaningfully on the downside.

CHOLAFIN(CG): Solid Promoter Background. Good growth in vehicle financing and they are adding new triggers. In hindsight have bought at the top. I guess will have to suffer time and price correction here.

COALINDIA(CP): Purely for dividends. Did not expect this level of price to shoot up in a short period. The overall outlook remains robust though and if it is able to improve production consistently on an annual basis with decent prices then I do not see the need to sell.

NTPC(CP): The same, play is purely on power sectoral growth. The trigger will be when they demerge the green energy play next year. Wait and Watch Mode till then.

ETHOSLTD(CG): Known story**.** Play on Premiumization. In hindsight allocation is poor. Need to rectify if markets fall and take up to 10%.

MAPMYINDIA(CG): I am circumspect about this one. Though have made tremendous returns in a short while. Mostly will be in Watch mode and look to sell if a negative trigger arises.

SJVN(CP): Again, much discussed stock. Negatives here are execution and recent problems in Sikkim and Arunachal due to dams.

ZENTEC-BE(Momentum): Pure Momentum Play. Company execution is paramount here. Will most likely exit a loss if markets crack further.

ARE&M: Really conflicted on this one. Looks and feels really cheap if they get going on the Lithium Battery side.

NMDC and NLC are again small plays in dividend mode. Though NMDC I have played many times before the demerger also.

What I want to Buy:

CCL Products: Had this on the watchlist and in small quantities forever. Did not press the trigger many times. Serious Omission here.

Sold Recently:

BSE: Buy at 600 Approx and Sell at 1620 – was 10% of the portfolio.

NMDC Steel: Got it as part of the demerger.

Now look for the forum regulars and seniors to provide criticism and suggestions on this. @phreakv6 @Mudit.Kushalvardhan @hitesh2710 @Donald

5 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? Your criteria for selection, target if any, stop loss if any, holding period etc?

1 Like

The rather crude but truthful answer is that its mix of analyzing Nifty 200 momentum index, valuepickr/twitter and a trusted friend. The reason is I am really poor at technical/ charts and have never been able to get a conceptual clarity to start using them confidently.

Thats the reason i mostly do not go over 10% in momentum and even the 20% is extremely rare when i see it backed by fundamentals.

2 Likes

What is your complete portfolio break up? Is this your complete portfolio or there is any allocation to mutual funds , active as well as index? If yes, in what proportion its in direct stocks and MFs? Is there any other asset allocation other than equity? Debt, Gold, real estate etc?

I have a running sip in ppfas flexicap. Some debt and fixed deposits in NBFC’s and no additional real estate investments.

Why I asked this question is…
If one has 5% networth in stocks and 95% networth in mutual funds, then he will have different ( higher risk taking approach) than the person who has 95% networth in stocks and 5% in mutual funds. So number of stocks in portfolio, selection of stocks , whether high growth small cap or , secular compounders, will depend a lot on how much of your overall net worth is invested in them, amd how much debt portion of the overall portfolio.

I hold only chola Finance , but from.lower levels…I am holding from long term perspectives.

1 Like

I get the point you are making. So, my MF portfolio is maybe 15% of my stock portfolio. I am planning to head towards a pf as below over next year. MF will only be in SIP basis and never lumpsum. Stock additions are also on sip basis. I know i have allocated debt on the higher side but have major expenses coming due in next 3 years and want to be sure of meeting them.

Debt: 40%
Stock: 45-55%
MF: 5-15%.

2 Likes

So Chola i had first bought in 2020-21. And sold immediately at that time for a 10-20% gain to meet some personal expenses. Turned out it was an expensive mistake:).

1 Like

MapmyIndia: QoQ growth negligible. Decent on YoY basis. However looks very expensive at these levels.

Tata Consumer: Trend playing out as expected. Growth in NourishCo, Sampann and Soulfull but negligible growth in Tea/Coffee business. Not an superlative result but somewhat on expected lines. How story plays out in next 2 quaters will be key. Net Profit not comparable due to Exceptional last year.

you should have keep BSE for atleast for Rs 2000/- i have given partial exit @ 2000

Dont I know it. Was a large chunk too of PF.:slight_smile:

But in Investing it has to be learn the lesson, move on and carry on.

1 Like

So Some of Buys in the Interim to LT portfolio. I have added significantly below.

CCL: As mentioned above, I have added small buys(1% pf) at 625. Will continue to add here at 600-625.
Cholafin: Increased Quantities, Will continue to add if i get at 1100 range.
Deepak Fertilizer: Added another 1% at 615-620. Will continue to add if goes below 600.
Premier Explosives: Added 5%. Its already boomed in last 1 year but did not want to miss out. Should stabalize at this level until business catches up and then continue upward move.

On Momentum playng in HariOM Pipes,Man Industries and Marksans.

Exits:
Have exited MapmyIndia at roughly 2100 in last few days. Had healthly returns of 90%. Move is likely played out. Did not see significant growth.

3 Likes

Update:

On Ethos : One point stood out in the concall. Arund 53.00 minute its claimed that the new jewellery venture - would start to become an second engine or additional engine to the comapny growth.

This point has not been commented on much before for the company. So something to consider and calculate.

Additional point is Margins are probably peaked and should stabalize around this range. So any growth henceforth will depend on top line alone.

1 Like

Succumbed to buying Cochin Shipyard Limited at 1190 today. Purely Short Term Play.

The Fundamentals are sound. Good Order Book and decent execution capabilities.

The trigger is chatter about IAC2 coming through and maybe Defence Acquisition Council Announces in next round of meeting.

1 Like

Small Changes in the portfolio. Sold Cochin in last week as it did not play out as expected.

I did add HAL to the mix same day. Have sold that out yesterday.

Present portfolio is almost same on atleast the bigger weights

Symbol Average Price Previous Closing Price Unrealized P&L Pct. Current %
TATACONSUM 834 955 15 12.85%
CHOLAFIN 1208 1244 3 10.92%
LAURUSLABS 379 386 2 8.33%
HCC 31 32 2 7.80%
COALINDIA 237 350 48 6.14%
NTPC 239 305 27 5.98%
SJVN 34 96 184 5.64%
ADVENZYMES 367 370 1 5.20%
PREMEXPLN 1285 1619 26 4.72%
MOTILALOFS 1199 1215 1 4.26%
ARE&M 618 765 24 3.58%
ZENTEC-T 779 765 -2 3.35%
TATASTEEL 127 136 7 3.19%
CCL 650 640 -2 3.18%
ZYDUSLIFE 598 646 8 3.02%
TVSMOTOR 1534 2019 32 2.95%
JAICORPLTD 334 336 1 2.45%
DEEPAKFERT 680 658 -3 2.31%
WOCKPHARMA 353 415 17 2.31%
HINDCOPPER 158 188 18 1.10%
NETWEB 873 1291 48 0.38%
KRISHANA 246 243 -1 0.14%
ECORECO6-XT 192 423 120 0.12%
RELIGARE 258 222 -14 0.06%

Added Ami Organics today based on the VP page discussions. Have Started research into it. Currently 4% of Portfolio.

@Mudit.Kushalvardhan @ChaitanyaC would love your viewpoints on below

Two Small Points from Corp Governance Viewpoints before Investing,

I have always operated on belief as retail investors- if i can put it bluntly- (We know shit about what’s really going on). So, it’s always pray that there are few cockroaches and other rodents inside the companies we invest in.

(Zero is an impossibility in Indian Operations due to reasons everyone knows- (Cash is neccesity to survive indian politics and the babudom whether you are small or large. Instituional owned or Promoter Owned). This is especially true in RE/ Infra and Ventures that are B2G related.

1. So here there will always be some portion of income/expenses converted to cash in promoter related entities.
  2. In this scenario: It becomes a corp governance issue when this goes beyond for enrichment of promoter group rather than necessity.

Hard to say. If a quantitative metric like valuation is subjective, this is beyond subjective. One has to come to a conclusion depending on one’s own observations, views, experiences etc. We can also read/watch interviews given by managements and draw some inferences. And, I have opposing views, I have read about market respecting some managements, also there are times when market knows about certain issues with some managements, but still went on with the price ride. Only when something comes out, it is said that they always had issues.

Also, on a different note, it is possible to give the benefit of doubt in our market, because there are groups, managements, individual investors, with good reputation who have been doing businesses for many decades.

Before investing, one can look at the documents a company provides at the time of IPO, to know about the beginnings of the management, their journey up until then, their values, their nature, their culture, their vision etc, and can come to an understanding as to who they are as a private entity, before taking public money.

I have never particularly focused on these qualitative aspects before investing, although after investing, I do come across conference calls or video recordings of meetings with managements, and I try to draw some inferences.

As these are purely subjective, take my views with some salt.

I think, you have polycab issue in mind.
As per my point of view, cash business has been a tradition for indian businesses , particularly in these segments. Even if you visit your local shops , you will find that they keep two sets of books…One for the tax purposes and one which is real, which includes cash dealings. And when a business gets listed , this habit and tradition continues. I will not take holier than thou approach. Its part and parcel of indian business operations.
I would like to give analogy of another MNC company which I held for 3 yearsand recently sold off. Abbott India ltd. Its an Indian subsidiary of Abbott. Now this MNC parent also maintains a Private Ltd subsidiary called Abbott Healthcare Pvt ltd, which is not a listed subsidiary. Now many good medicines and famous products are launched not under listed subsidiary but under unlisted pvt subsidiary, thus causing loss to the minority shareholders of Abbott India. This is also a form of theft of profit which rightly belongs to shareholders as the cash sales of polycab. But its legitimate and nobody can do anything about it as parent holds listed subsidiary very close with 75% stake. And then there are so many businesses who divert business to their private companies at the cost of listed companies. This is more of a norm and SOP. As and when our markets reacts strictly, some shareholder activism gets established , these practises will become things of the past, but its not going to happen in a hurry. In our lifetime of investing, things will continue and we should not lose sleep over it.