The harsh portfolio!

In this series of posts, I will share my thoughts on position sizing, how I have approached it in the past, how the results were, and what refinements I have brought about it.

The past results
I benchmark myself against three portfolios:

• Nifty 50: Reflects opportunity cost
  • Banyan tree PMS: Quality and valuation driven firm with one of the best publicly available track record across market cycles (including 2008)
  • A microcap maverick like Mittal Analytics (public track record starts in 2019)

Here is how returns have fared over this 2-year period.

All the 3-strategies has outperformed Nifty. My strategy is much more closer to Banyan Tree (quality + valuation). A more small cap focused strategy creates much higher drawdowns and produces excess returns in good times.

What do I want? Drawdowns like Banyan Tree and outsized returns like Mittal Analytics which is impossible for someone like me.

What can I get? Behaviorally, I want absolute controls on longer term drawdowns by selecting good companies and not overpaying. However, I want to spice up the returns with positions in bombed out cyclicals which can produce excess returns in good times.

Position sizing

I used to size a position anywhere between 1% to 6%. My expected returns were 15% and I used to allocate 6% into companies that were no brainer opportunities to generate 15%+ returns. These were generally large companies with good institutional coverage and whose performance could be studied across cycles. This is how this part of portfolio has done.

6% companies IRR Returns until 28.05.2021
Ajanta Pharmaceuticals Ltd. 24.20%
Bajaj Auto Ltd. 20.69%
HCL Technologies Ltd. 38.10%
InterGlobe Aviation Ltd. 19.52%
I T C Ltd. -0.20%
Larsen & Toubro Ltd. 17.60%
Lupin Ltd. -1.10%
Natco Pharma 20.70%
PI Industries Ltd. 59.60%
Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. 19.70%
Reliance Industries Ltd. 0.00%
Reliance Nippon Asset Management Co 26.00%
AVERAGE 20.40%

Out of the 12 companies, I was right on 9 i.e. a hit rate of 75%. For me, anything >60% hit rate is good. As its clear that I have been right more often than wrong in large positions, I should ideally increase my %. This is one change which I am bringing about in my portfolio.

In the next post, I will illustrate my thoughts on position sizing and the refinements I have brought into it.

24 Likes