The harsh portfolio!

As of today, I have reduced allocation in Indigo from 2% to 1% and increased allocation in HDFC from 3% to 4%. Cash continues to be at zero.

Over the past year, I have been testing out a deep value strategy i.e. buying companies which are ridiculously cheap. I have categorized them as:

• Net nets (working capital bargains): Mcap below 2/3rd of net working capital
  • Companies with above average return on capital over a business cycle (20%+) trading close to or below their book value
  • Companies with moderate return on capital (12-15%) trading below half times their book value

The idea is to buy a bunch of these companies and hope for mean reversion over a 2-year time frame. If it doesn’t happen, sell it. If mean reversion happens, see if the business can find a place in the model portfolio, if not sell it. Last year, a large number of companies started meeting these criterion. As this was still experimental, I bought small positions in a few companies which are stated below.

• Time Technoplast (bought it below 0.5x book value, this business should trade atleast at its book value given they make 12-15% ROCE).
  • RACL geartech (bought it around its book value, a business that has grown during an auto downcycle speaks a lot about their business characteristics).
  • Atul auto (bought it at ~1.3x book value, this should trade at a large premium to its book because they make >30% ROCEs).
  • D.B. Corp (this was a recent buy below its book value, DB should trade at a premium to its book value because they make 20%+ ROCEs).

Going forward, deep value bets will start to be part of the model portfolio, given the very attractive risk reward they offer (low downside, potential optionality for large upside). I will initiate their positions at 1% size and see how business develops. The current model portfolio (without deep value bets) are stated below.

Companies Weightage
HCL Technologies Ltd. 6.00%
I T C Ltd. 6.00%
PI Industries Ltd. 6.00%
Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. 6.00%
Larsen & Toubro Ltd. 6.00%
Ajanta Pharmaceuticals Ltd. 4.50%
Kolte-Patil Developers Ltd. 4.50%
Ashiana Housing Ltd. 4.50%
NESCO Ltd. 4.50%
Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. 4.00%
Suprajit Engineering Ltd. 4.00%