Hi, today morning an announcement came that the Tata group will be merging all its Metal companies into Tata Steel. The companies being merged include :-
Tinplate : Shareholders will get 33 shares of Tata Steel for 10 shares of the company.
Tata Metaliks : Shareholders will get 79 shares of Tata Steel for 10 shares of the company.
Tata Steel long : Shareholders will get 67 shares of Tata Steel for 10 shares of the company.
TRF : Shareholders will get 17 shares of Tata Steel for 10 share of the company.
Have pasted the original announcement.
I don’t think the dates have been announced yet.
Would this merger bring any value unlocking in your opinion?
What would be the major positives & negatives?
The first reaction seems to be downside as most of the companies have opened gap down.
Which company is best poised to take advantage of the merger ratio?
I beleive TATA METALIKS at 1st look
Others please opine
Possibilities of merger arbitrage exist. If the share price of one of the smaller cos goes too low, and if you are willing to short 1 lot of Tata Steel and buy the equivalent (post merger) amount of the smaller co, then ideally it should work out. As with other risk arbitrage plays, the real risk is if the merger doesn’t go through. The reverse trade doesn’t work because you can’t trade FnO in any of the smaller cos, so there’s no way to short those.
What are long term cons and benefits
Hi all, I hope this thread is also related to tata steel. 4.5% is a nice dividend yield. considering the nature of the company. steel being in upcycle.
What I like about the company?
- Dividend yield 4.5% is attractive.
- Synergy with other valued added steel products is just amazing.
- Raw materials 100% iron ore is sourced inhouse. only coal 50% requirements are imported. (from annual reports)
- Being associated with the tata family.
What are my expectations?
I am not expecting the stock to be a huge multi-bagger. I expect the stock to be a nice cushion against inflation with the regular increasing dividend flow.
My Questions to fellow trackers of this company,
- Are my expectations good? your comments.
- As per annual reports I am to understand that all their iron ore requirements are satisfied in-house. in this case how long they will be able to dig up the iron ore? how much is left? how difficult is it to acquire new pits?
- since we are in a steel upcycle. how much in percentage it has effects on profits in the down cycle.
Any point you share will be helpful. thanks in advance!