Tar's Portfolio and Information Attic

Biologics is a research heavy business. Upfront R&D costs are a lot but if a single drug hits the market then potentially the company is sitting on billions of dollars in revenues. Eg. recent approval of alzheimer’s drug for Biogen.

The way Stelis has approached this issue of cash is also unique. They have divided the business into three main parts:

1. Stelis Biopharma : This is their CDMO division. Stelis plans to earn revenue here by making Biologics for other companies. Their first client is Sanofi and they are targeting insulin which in itself is a several billion dollar per year sticky market.

2. Biosimilars and Biobetters : This is the second part of the business. This business doesn’t require as much cash to be guzzled in development, and potential revenues are also quite good (500M to 1 B USD yearly)

3. Novel Biologics: This is the area where Stelis wants to put its cashflow to and build novel biologics for various ailments. The first portfolio they are starting with is bone health. They have already done considerable work in this and should be able to commercialize it in next 2 years.

Syngene is pure contract research and manufacturing business. It will not produce novel biologics or products of its own.

Laurus is more into recombinant proteins and synthesis, they will do well but industry is totally different.

Biocon is the closest comparison I can draw for Strides. Both companies house a biologics arm within them.

11 Likes

This is what has kept me from allocating large sums to Strides. It intrinsically looks undervalued but I am unable to assess / estimate cash flows with any degree of conviction. Can you hlp out if you’ve done some numbers?

1 Like

Great analysis, really helps in understanding the business better.

Any source for this info? Arun Kumar refused to divulge any details on the Q4 concall owing to confidentiality clauses. Both revenue/EBITDA margin questions were asked by different analysts, but they didn’t reveal anything.

If I assume $5-10 per dose for 400 million doses, that works out to roughly 15-30k crore revenue for Stelis and Strides owns 33% equity so 5-10k crore revenue and 45% PAT margin will at best work out to 2250-4500 cr cash flows, which could be quite optimistic as I’m not sure they’d have such high margins on a life saving vaccine.

I am not implying that vaccine manufacturing will be a 45%+ net profit margin business.

Stelis as a business is 45%+ net profit margin business. All Biologics CDMO businesses in the world have that structure. Study Wuxi Bio and Samsung Biologics, you will see why.
India’s researchers costs are even lesser than Chinese and Korean researchers, so Stelis can even do better in net profit margins.

Vaccine manufacturing will just help give Stelis immediate cashflow that it can then use to invest in its business and reduce the gestation time.

5 Likes

Never created any cashflow estimations. I focus more on the source of cash flows and how the business is evolving rather than actual cash flows themselves. With time good businesses run by competent management figure out ways to generate cash flows, if the business structure and tail winds are favorable.

1 Like

Great analysis on strides , any guess/calc on what would be swap ratio for stelis demerger ? Also would be interesting to see Aditya Puri’s role in stelis ?

No idea.

he is chairman of the board, honestly it doesn’t do anything to the business. Just window dressing in my opinion. Definitely board will remain in check and gets more respect and he is known to run a tight ship but other than that business wise it doesn’t amount to much.

1 Like

Sure thats fair, but to have the conviction to allocate a fifth of your portfolio to a company, you surely must have done some back of the hand calculations on what kind of cash flows you expect Strdes to generate over a three to five year period? Or else how did you arrive at a potential 5x in three years?

I am invested in Strides as well with a about 4% of the PF. Intuituvely it seems underpriced. But I am not able to build the conviction to allocate larger sums as I am not being able to come up with a 5x kind of thesis - and so I’m keen on understanding your thoughts and rationale.

Also Strides shareholders are likely to get very little of Stelis based on present Stelis valuations. Even if there is no more premium to the last fund raise, for every 100 rupees invested in Strides, we will get less than 10 rupees of Stelis. So for someone who is primarily invested in Stelis, it may be better to wait for the demerger and buy Stelis, no?

2 Likes

As I mentioned earlier, my allocation is based on business analysis and margin of safety while making an investment. I have already mentioned the upcoming triggers and various moving parts in the business. For a stock to move it needs a) triggers (news, events, etc.) b) improving business and underlying cash flows

Cash flows comes from making good allocation of capital in the business.

Please study the business in detail, from your this statement alone, I know you haven’t studied the business in depth. Strides has 33.3% of stake in Stelis. Stelis doesn’t need to raise any further rounds cause cash flow from vaccinations alone will make it opex breakeven and even put some excess cash for itself to reinvest in the balance sheet.

At the time of demerger, Strides will retain a minor stake (less than 3 to 5%) to in Stelis to recoup its investment back. Similar to what Sequent did with Solara.
For every 3 to max 5 share of Strides, the holder will get at least 1 share in Stelis.

Market participants do not realize the value of a pure play biologics CDMO business. Please study Wuxi Biologics and Samsung Biologics in details and what’s happening in this space globally.

The 2 min version is
Majority of biologics are coming off patent in next 3 years → This has led to a rise of virtual pharma companies that are engaged in production of biosimilars, biogenerics and biobetters → Advancements in CRISPR and biotech also has enabled to create more novel biologics → all this leads to a rise in demand for regulatory approved high end sophisticated biologics manufacturing centers such as Wuxi, Samsung and Stelis. There isn’t a single pure play biologics CDMO in India, a country know for its chemists and biotech grads globally. Syngene comes close but they largely do non biologics work.
Costs of researchers and manufacturing in India is half of what it is in China and 10th of US.

Wuxi has a backlog of 3 years and $11 Billion USD and this backlog is growing at double digits every year. Such is the demand for biologics CDMO in the world.

Here is Arun Kumar from last Strides conference call alluding to the same.

Now imagine such a business gets tonnes for cash flow maybe of a once in time unprecedent business opportunity like vaccine manufacturing for Covid.

Here is Arun Kumar talking about the need for additional $100 Million for Stelis (this was pre signing their deal to manufacture Sputnik)

Sputnik single order for 200 Million doses alone will give about ~$400 to $500 Million in sales to Stelis. At even a 20% net profit margin, this easily fulfils their need for incremental capital. And I am being very conservative with these assumptions.

I expect Stelis to get additional orders for vaccines, even bigger ones after this order goes through. For this you need to monitor geopolitics.
EU and Covax desperately needs additional vaccines. The only hope right now esp. after the problems with Astra Zenca and Serum Institute, is Sputnik and the Chinese vaccine. US who sponsors majority of Covax will never let China supply its vaccine to the initiative. US companies like Pfizer and Moderna have their own manufacturing issues to sort out and have a backlog of 2 years. Novax is tiny. That leaves us with Sputnik.

EU very conveniently delayed the grant of emergency use to Sputnik just a day before Biden was supposed to meet Putin. The meeting went well and both nations agreed to establish embassies in respective nations again. This was a signal that US would not oppose Sputnik’s use at a global level which clears a path for EU approval.

The moment EU approves, Sputnik demand globally should double, which in turn helps Stelis secure more orders for the vaccine as its the only one till date from India to send a validation batch to RDIF and only company to manufacture the vaccine at large scale. You can see this with the orders that were placed, Stelis got the order for maximum doses from RDIF.

So the vaccine opportunity is good enough for Stelis to fulfil its future investment needs without raising any additional capital.

Second most important trigger, more important than demerger itself is the PE buy out. An announcement by KKR or Carlyle buying Strides will instantly double the valuation of Strides simply cause its trades at 1.5x sales and less than 1x FY23 sales. Now any PE firm likes to buy at least a minimum 51% of the business, but promoters in Strides only own ~29% of the company. So where does the rest 22% come from? It comes from directors and members on the board and other related entities that have single digit stakes.

A quick look at recent selling in strides will show you directors and related entities selling in open market. Directors who have never sold a single share since inception of the company. Usually someone with substantial stake sells via bulk deal to get a better price but none of these transactions are made via bulk deal. Why? cause bulk deal will reveal the identity of the buyer which is enough to raise the prices by 10-20% and cost the buyer 100s of crores more.

People are far focused on cashflows and valuations and who is selling and what margin will be next quarter and next year instead of focusing on triggers and events and tailwinds and industry structure which have considerable impact on stock prices. Investing is not just about number crunching, that’s maybe just 10% of the job, its more about human behavior, geo politics, history and business structures.

Coming to my allocation. I am a concentrated investor. I don’t believe in diversification and modern portfolio theory and having allocation to debt etc. Being an insider who has worked with an investment bank, I can tell you this industry like medicine industry, is purposely made more technical, filled with jargons and theories etc. in order to squeeze as much money from customers as possible and keep them from studying it in detail by making it unnecessarily complicated. Concentration is what made wealth for all the big names like Rakesh Jhunjhunwala (till date has majority of this net worth in a single stock - Titan), Munger and Buffett made wealth by allocating big to opportunities that were sure shot (40% of portfolio was once invested in American Express), Stan Druckenmiller made George Soros a billionaire by making concentrated bets with his money and breaking the pound, Monish Pabrai who famously followed Value Investing, revealed in a recent interview how he has accepted that concentration is the real way to make wealth and gave example of Nick Sleep and Qais Zakaria who used to run Nomad Capital and now have all their wealth in just 3 stocks. The guy who made Chewy, sold his company and put his entire net worth in Apple stock, Vijay Kedia became a multi millionaire by buying and limiting himself to just 4 stocks.

My investor journey is aimed along those lines. I aim to someday have a portfolio of just 4 to 5 stocks with a majority of my net worth in.

So don’t go by my allocation, putting 25% of my portfolio in a single stock just tells you that I am crazy or have understood the business well or maybe both. I believe its the latter.

Hope this helped provided some clarity and helped you give some direction into how to study the Strides business.

29 Likes

Thanks Tar.

As far as I know Gland has the highest share of order from RDIF 252 Million (from Q4FY21 concall transcript )

Strides order volume is 200 Million

But there is no news from Gland about sending validation batches.

@Tar curious question if you can answer, Stelis demerger on the cards and Arun kumar and co appointed investment bankers to sell their Strides stake , and any PE that is going to buy certainly going to buy at premium (this is just my assumption based on the recent sale of Cadila animal health care, 6x of sales ) , so my question is what is the rush to sell by other promoters now at the market price ? Am I missing something here ?

This question again highlights to what I have already said in the post above. Why does it matter, who is selling, for how much, when and where?

Why so much focus on things that don’t matter than things that do? These events are at best aberrations in the long term journey of a business.

Why would PE buy at a premium? They know investing better than you and me. Cadila’s animal business was sold for 6x sales as that’s the going rate in the market for an animal health business as those businesses are scarce and few. Why would someone buy a generic business for the same?

If it were to investors, they would even start tracking the vitals of the promoters and which side of the bed he woke up on. Don’t engross yourself with noise.

3 Likes

This is my crude understanding. Please correct me if its wrong. Imho the number of shares don’t matter, the value does.

If Strides owns 33% of Stelis and Stelis is valued at 2.5k crores. So the value of Strides share in Stelis is about 800 crores. Strides trades at about 7k crores presently.

When Stelis delists, I assume it will start out at a market cap of close to 2.5k cr (this may change depending on when the delisting happens and how much of the cash flow from vaccines has hit the books).

Strides share in this 2.5k crores should be around 800 crores which will be passed on to all of Strides shareholders in proportionately. So for every 100 rupees worth of Strides stock that I own, I should get back close to 11 rupees of Stelis. All of this is ofcourse assuming zero holding company discount - we can add scenarios but this is all ball park.

Does this make sense or are there technicalities that I am missing?

This apart, thanks a lot for your patient and detailed posts on Strides. Not sure about me, but I do know that you do understand the business very well. May come back with more questions after some more reading.

2 Likes

It will not be based on market cap but how much stake Strides has in Stelis and what valuation did they invest in the cap table for Stelis.

What process they follow and how much is the swap rate, isn’t in my control and I have no way to influence Arun Kumar and his team of investment bankers :slight_smile: If I did, I would have asked them for a 1:1 swap ratio. Since its not in my control, I do not worry about it.

What is in my control though, is studying businesses like Wuxi and Samsung and being ready when the opportunity to buy Stelis becomes available. Until then its a game of patiently waiting.

I do not know it well, just focusing on learning more about it. Wuxi and Samsung and few other global peers will give you a very good idea of this opportunity.

4 Likes

Though I agree with your thesis, my screening criteria point to some red flags.

1. Debt of Rs 2151Cr
  2. Low ROCE (8%), ROE (10%)
  3. Low promoter holding ( 29 % )
  4. Insiders selling recently ( June 2021 )

Though there are many positives also like

1. EV of Rs 8900 Cr
    2 P/S = 2

It would be great if you could throw some light on the above points.

2 Likes

Don’t study companies by looking at screener.

Majority of this debt is due to their investment in Stelis which doesn’t produce any revenue yet. High debt and interest costs also have an impact on ROCE and ROE. Take their investment in Stelis out and you will see 20%+ ROCE and ROE numbers.

Already mentioned above that promoters are exiting the company.

Please study the business and company in detail or at least go through the thread on Strides here on ValuePickr.

9 Likes

STELIS has been in incubation for 9 years now and there has been many rounds of funding have been done in pass which has added to debt plus high interest cost as it took 9 years. Strides also had one of its key drug had been out of shelve this might be reason for suppress ROCE, another example pf suppress roce is Tata consumer because of their Goodwill their ROCE are suppressed but once you remove it is 25% ROCE business looking at Screener roce data without Dupont sometimes might give wrong impression about company and Strides promoter has been looking for buyers of their stake it may not be that bad as you might think as recently even JB Pharma promoters have sold stake to new group despite that business is flourishing. Mr Arun has been known to do this in past for example in Sequent Scientific and Solara. Hope this answers some of your query.

10 Likes

Yes, thanks for the reply. Went through the whole thread and some of my doubts got cleared.
You have provided in detailed explaination of some of the points.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Hi @Tar. Really admire your concentrated portfolio, the conviction in the stocks and the simple thesis around most of them.

Just curious, can you give some indication of the quantity and quality of research that you would have done for Stelis or some of the other names around 1) Before picking up the stock & 2) Ongoing research to keep informed of recent developments. The thing that seems to hold me back for concetration is conviction levels and maybe fear that I maybe missed something. How do you get over this?