Southern_Cross's Portfolio

Here is the portfolio update for April 2022.

Sr. No Company Sector Capitalisation Alloc % Rationale
1 BSE Limited (XNSE:BSE) Financial Small Cap 15% Financialization theme
2 HDFC ASSET MANAGEMENT COMPANY LIMITED (XNSE:HDFCAMC) Financial Mid Cap 12% Financialization theme
3 AVENUE SUPERMARTS LIMITED (XNSE:DMART) Services Large Cap 8% Long-term retail play, debt free
4 HCL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED (XNSE:HCLTECH) Technology Large Cap 8% Coffee Can
5 LAURUS LABS LIMITED (XNSE:LAURUSLABS) Healthcare Mid Cap 8% Growth
6 DR. LAL PATHLABS Limited (XNSE:LALPATHLAB) Healthcare Mid Cap 7% Coffee Can
7 DEEPAK NITRITE LIMITED (XNSE:DEEPAKNTR) Chemicals Mid Cap 7% Growth
8 OLECTRA GREENTECH LIMITED (XNSE:OLECTRA) Automobile Small Cap 5% EV theme
9 ABBOTT INDIA LIMITED (XNSE:ABBOTINDIA) Healthcare Mid Cap 5% Coffee Can
10 ASTRAL LIMITED (XNSE:ASTRAL) Chemicals Mid Cap 5% Coffee Can
11 TITAN COMPANY LIMITED (XNSE:TITAN) Cons Durable Large Cap 4% Long-term retail play, debt free
12 PSP PROJECTS LIMITED (XNSE:PSPPROJECT) Construction Small Cap 4% Asset Light business in construction
13 GATEWAY DISTRIPARKS LTD. (XNSE:GDL) Services Small Cap 4% Promising sector for future
14 Fsn E-Commerce Ventures Ltd (XNSE:NYKAA) Services Large Cap 3% Growth
15 INDIAN ENERGY EXCHANGE LIMITED (XNSE:IEX) Services Mid Cap 2% Growth
16 HDFC BANK LIMITED (XNSE:HDFCBANK) Financial Large Cap 2% Coffee Can
Stocks
Top 5 51%
Top 10 80%
Top 15 98%
Market Cap
Large Cap 25%
Mid Cap 46%
Small Cap 29%
Sector Split
Financial 29%
Healthcare 21%
Services 17%
Chemicals 12%
Technology 8%
Automobile 5%
Cons Durable 4%
Construction 4%
Defensive 28%
New Age/Theme 9%

Investing Objectives –

Return of Capital - :+1:
Beat BSE Sensex in terms of CAGR :+1:
Beat FD returns :+1:
Reach 15% CAGR :+1:
Beat MF(direct) returns (23% Vs 21% CAGR) :-1:

Changes -

• No changes to PF

Notes -

• Finished reading “One Up on Wall Street” by Peter Lynch. May be I will read this again in future.

• The bull market really helped me in accepting stocks/MFs as dominant asset class . The market may go down but at least I know that there will be crests and troughs and proper preparation can give me 15+% CAGR in long term. In the book, Peter Lynch mentioned there are some generation of people(1960s) who could not look at stock market as a good asset class even though they were in higher designations like CEOs due to their family reminding about horrors of losing money in stocks. He also explained 1929-32 great depression happened because US economy was 66% in Manufacturing, 22% in Farming and only 12% in Service sector and there was no mention of pensions, medicare, unemployment benefits etc. There can be regular corrections but repeat of 1929-32 great depression may not be possible. In 1987 October when market corrected, 70% of US economy is coming from service sector and manufacturing was reduced to 27% and farming to 3%.

My PF stocks in Lynch Parlance

Stalwarts - HDFC AMC, HCL Technologies, Abbott India, Titan, HDFC Bank, Avenue Supermarts
Fast Growers - Laurus Labs, Olectra Greentech, Dr Lalpath labs, PSP Projects, Nykaa, IEX, Astral
Cyclicals - Deepak Nitrite
Turnarounds - Gateway Distriparks
Asset Plays - BSE Limited

Stalwarts give the portfolio the much needed stability. The usual quality displayed by these is giving dividends even in recession times. The growth may not be aggressive here but there is more safety of return of our capital. I miss TCS & HDFC in this list. Having been in IT and have first hand information on how TCS was leader in services in Europe and relatively low paymaster , this should have been in portfolio as it rightly fits in my circle of competence. The ship has sailed and HCL Tech is the lone tech company now.

The fast growers are the ones which can turn into potential multibaggers. As long as the growth rates are standing up, they are on track but can punish the PF in case of lesser growth rate

Cyclicals are better to be not touched without proper knowledge. Having got the confirmation that China+1 is happening on the ground, Deepak Nitrite is chosen. However, the tide may turn down anytime. I have a tracking position in Vinati Organics but did not add further as it increases the risk

Turnarounds are very rare. Lynch has mentioned about Chrysler about his one of the successfull turnaround stocks. Gateway Distriparks is going through restructuring and increasing its marketshare in rail segment which is also reported in last quarter earnings. It gives a decent dividend and significant insider buying was also seen in last few years especially by Mr. Sachin Bhanusali(~0.9%) who is the CEO of their Gateway Rail division. This can be that boring and not exciting stock which Lynch mentioned in the book…I have tracking position in Yes bank

Asset plays are about having some hidden asset/cash which are not reflected in the books or not discovered by market. I bought BSE Limited when it is selling below its book value and its hidden assets are BSE Star MF and India INX, BSE Building or BSE platform itself. 20% stake in CDSL makes it more solid to hold on. Zerodha holdings has 3.71% in BSE Limited as their treasury operation. The hidden asset value will come out soon… BSE Limited is my biggest winner so far

Interesting Videos -

The CEO of Vinati Organics talks about her journey in the company and also about the times of exuberance for speciality chemicals business.

This is not related to investing as such but in general about building a life…

4 Likes