Saregama India Ltd: India’s premier music publishing label

There is an article published in ET earlier in FEB,23 about layoff in pocketAce, which help us to understand the company still not at break-even profit. I believe, there would be substantial hit to EBIT & profit level.

Digital entertainment company Pocket Aces has laid off a fourth of its workforce as it transitions to a lean operating model to save costs and become profitable in the coming financial year, said its CEO Aditi Shrivastava.

The company, which counts Sequoia Capital, Nu Ventures and North Base Media as its investors, has let go of 50 of its 200 full-time employees with immediate effect. The affected employees are from the company’s content, production and post-production teams.

Shrivastava told ET that the company will continue to engage some of the affected employees on a freelance basis for web series and film content creation while helping others with outplacements.

She also said that the company will help the impacted employees with financial support and ongoing health insurance coverage.

“The creative team will be in-house, but the post-production, design, animation, VFX, music and casting will be outsourced,” she said.
Pocket Aces operates digital channels like FilterCopy, Dice Media, Gobble, and Nutshell on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. It also has an influencer management division called Clout.

Speaking about the company’s new strategy, Shrivastava said Pocket Aces will continue to scale its long-form offerings via Dice Media even as it will go slow on creating content for its YouTube channels Nutshell and Gobble.

The company will instead step up its focus on creator-led short-form content for Instagram, which, she said, requires less manpower.

Shrivastava said the company will hit operating profit in 2023-24 due to cost savings accruing from the change in the operating model. “We are looking at a profit of Rs 5 crore next year (2023-24),” she said.

The company is expecting 20% revenue growth in 2022-23, according to Shrivastava. “We are looking at a revenue of Rs 110 crore in FY23, which is a 20% growth compared to the previous year," she said.

The company hopes to give an exit to its existing investors once it reaches enough scale.

According to Crunchbase data, the company has raised $19.8 million across four funding rounds.

“We have not raised any capital in the last three years, and we don’t have big capital-raising plans. We will be working towards giving exits to our investors. We are still figuring out the path to exit for our investors,” said Shrivastava.

Disc: Invested and continue to hold, will accumulate more if this acquisition hit the stock price to further down.

4 Likes

Yesterday saw the news that Saregama taking 51 percent in pocket aces for ~ 174 crore INR and will take remaining 41% stake in next 1 or 1.5 years.

I am interested in Saregama because they were investing heavily in localized music (and not just Hindi)
Now they are roughly putting 300 crore odd money into Video content business which is primarily targeted for Hindi speaking audiences.
How will this help Saregama except improve P&L statement by 10 or 15% directly?

I mean i know Pocket aces connects to a lot of youth but Saregama currently does not have a lot of new Hindi music right now and even if Saregama plans to acquire considerable Hindi music in next 3 years still pocket aces makes Video content.
What Saregama is trying here is a mystery to me.

Disc: Invested.

2 Likes

Youtube insta user base of pocket aces might be the reason
Dont know where the revenue from youtube insta are shown in profit loss statement
As those are pure profits

Management had clearly mentioned at the time of QIP and reiterated many times after that the QIP proceeds will only be used for acquisition of music content. This is a clear reversal of that stance. Yet again the absolutely terrible governance and capital allocation policies of the group on show. Its a mystery why they cant just channel the cashflows of the extremely profitable retro music catalogue into just acquiring new music.

7 Likes

That statement was around QIP date. After that They have shared 2/3 times in concalls that since they can not find enough reasonably valued music content for QIP money so they are open to use QIP money for strategic acquisition which in long term will increase views.

3 Likes

For me the Pocket Aces acquisition gives them a leg up in distribution given the fact that T-Series is really big, Tips despite having a smaller catalogue has better views (do keep in mind, Revenues are not directly correlated to views, albeit that being an important metric) - so I get the sense that, the rest of the money should go into buying music labels. Coming to ensuring that the reach in 18-35 is enhanced, do feel it is a good cog into the grander scheme of Saregama. Now whether these are really Pocket Aces or 2’s and 7’s, only time will tell.

Disc: Invested

4 Likes

Saregama acquires majority stake in start-up Pocket Aces - The Hindu BusinessLine

““Acquiring Pocket Aces will add on a whole new dimension of IP and a distribution network of over 95 million followers, which Saregama will leverage to further popularize its music library among the 18-35 audience segment. It will also create synergies across the artiste & influencer management and long-format video creation businesses of the two companies,” the music company added.

Very confused by the results being posted by the company. Very tepid growth, huge drop off in events based revenue. All this while, Tips posted healthy growth and through the roof margins.

Any clues what might be going on here?

Observing one thing
Filter copy using saregama music in there recent reels, observing from couple of days
Don’t know is they previously used or not
Anyone notice?

1 Like

SAREGMA Concall link

saregamawsa.bc.cdn.bitgravity.com/videos/investor/Saregama_Q2FY23_24_virtual_conference.mp3

Yeah, simply means paise pohoch gaye hai. :slight_smile: I don’t think it will help them unless they have a good selection of songs that younger people can relate to. Using older songs may not make their reels go viral, in my opinion as they won’t be able to relate. Management’s earnings call commentary was decent enough.

They were very confident about the acquisition with Pocket aces and said this would be a great fit for younger audience, which they missed out earlier being a traditional music label company. Let’s see how it goes.

Also, they probably would be launching learning platform with help of AI for users who would like to sing and practice virtually (don’t know how the capital would be allocated there) in coming weeks.

Digi Drive listing: Will take ~2-3 weeks more

Disc. Invested

3 Likes

Yeah in new song more relatable to younger audience I think they want to viral there new songs through reels it is used as marketing purposes I think
Disc- Invested

2 Likes

I have recently read the presentations and concall of saregama.But i am unable
to understand from which segments how much money they are making?

They iterated this in the concall.

Management reiterated the guidance of 20% plus growth. Due to the lumpy nature of the business, they expect revenues to flow in Q4 this Financial Year. However, I would like to see the lead time for stabilizing the subscription music model and events business go down. The lead time seems to be 12-18months over the last couple of concalls. I hope there is some progress in the upcoming discussions. Overall, management is sticking to their commentary and plans explained in previous meetings. The new ventures have not crossed 18% of the capital as per the commitment. The music revenues seem to be growing and the QIP funds have been deployed at a reasonable valuation. Caravan business continues to be breakeven(May be small profit). I personally blv the acquisition of Pocket Aces should work out given the synergies in the business.

Delivering on the guidance numbers for FY2024 will be the key to retain investor confidence in my humble opinion.

Disc: Invested

1 Like

Wasn’t caravan business hived off in demerger?

It has been demerged, it will list in a few weeks as per the updates on the concall.

Yes. It is demerged but yet to be listed.

Hi @Worldlywiseinvestors Ishmohit, has your thesis changed on Saregama after the acquisition of Pocket Aces and demerger? Do you see better capital allocation from the firm going forward since they have demerged the loss making segment? And also, what’s your take on TIPS growing much better than Saregama in terms of revenue?

I would like to thank you for the content which you post on social media, it is a great time always to learn something new instead of receiving calls and tips! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great refresher plus insight on music and licensing

Explains the 2 sides when someone uses ur song. Composition + Master for the total fees charges.
Right to use the song But Not the right to use the artist explained well here.