Saregama India Ltd: India’s premier music publishing label

Yes, Vikram was there in a conference and he confirmed that the deal is signed. In between, company was working on pricing negotiation.

4 Likes

This indeed shows the moat of the company that a big company like meta renegotiating the deal with company .

Anyone who knows how deals work in the music industry, as per an info dilgit Dosanjh and badshah were signed to universal/warner…

but then yesterday saregama punjabi launched a diligit punjabi music.

Nothing is exclusive as songs can be done with other labels atleast in India.

This shows the importance of the Events vertical of Saregama, given they have just concluded the tour and now a song with Diljit

5 Likes

While not related to Saregama, but recently T series remade famous Falguni Pathak song ‘Maine Payal Hai Chhankai’ with Neha Kakkar. The former singer said she can’t do anything as she doesn’t have rights. This is why music artists can be skeptical of music labels when today releasing a song isn’t that big a barrier as in 90s.

6 Likes

Universal music following SAREGAMA.

2 Likes

Saregama deal renewed with Meta, I hope on better terms for Saregama :wink:

7 Likes

Article is clearly hinting that Saregama had a good bargaining Position in the deal. Suble things but shows the value of their music Portfolio!

4 Likes

At first glance, not related to Saregama, however I estimate, Jio laptop will increase media consumption. Average user spend 3 to 4 hours/day on social media, with school children have this new weapon with them. Reducing entry barrier to get smart phone/laptop with lower price and cheaper data is boom for media companies.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/abnews/reliance-jio-set-to-disrupt-indian-market-again-with-a-184-laptop

Disclosure: Invested

2 Likes

Re-popularising retro content is a good trend going on.

3 Likes

Can we get to know how much of the revenue % is coming from past songs yoy as compared to the latest release. It will help to value the retro content library.

Roughly 25percent for Saregama and 10-15 percent for TIPS

2 Likes
7 Likes

Why Saregama started selling tshirts Chutzpah - Fultoo Filmy T-shirts for a filmy everyday :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Now i feel Tips having more efficient capital allocation than Saregama!

2 Likes

This seems a very good decision from my pov.

Going into adjacent high margin business( i assume) of web series, movie or a music video merch can be very good.

Remember the time when “apna time ayega tshirts” rocked every place in the town? It was just the beginning… Netflix too has its merch business…

This can be done very well. Well, need to know about the business operations more tho.

dis : not invested.

5 Likes

Selling merchandise is a very high gross margin business. Look at Football clubs or Marvel and Disney. Disney made some $50 billion in revenue selling merch. I think it is a very good move if capitalised properly.

4 Likes

Disney with its basket of brands selling merch is very different than Saregama doing it

2 Likes

Saregama has thousands of hits in its repertoire each of which has become brands on their own rights. They are simply twisting the songs’ names as slogans on these merchandise. I feel this endeavour has more chances of success than any of their other doings.

6 Likes

Good results from Saregama

3 Likes