Saregama India Ltd: India’s premier music publishing label

This is a good move by Saregama, but wasn’t intended by the management as I could see via the concalls. However, this might ignite a new Anti-thesis for the company I was waiting for,

Singers in the west, (Take TAYLOR SWIFT) have publishing rights to their music which gives them the power to re-create the song over with even a better quality and that can hurt the label a lot. Atleast that’s what the Taylor Swift saga revealed. (also depends upon the singer’s reach and popularity tho)

And the label has the master recording only.

Now need to see what the label here in our case Saregama has done. Has it done for both or not.

I might be wrong. I’ll be happy making more money if so.
Disclaimer : Invested and biased.

3 Likes

Hi guys,

Don’t know if it’s already posted on the thread, Saregama is entering live events.

It is organising Diljit Dosanjh’s world tour starting April.

2 Likes

But Diljit has signed his music deal with Warner Music

2 Likes

Anti thesis seems to be playing out for india music industry.
These songs are liked and heard globally. Moreover albums are getting shot abroad. Makes a lot of sense to collaborate with Music labels in the West too.
Saregama has a great reach in India and as a matter of fact all the music labels have decent enough reach abroad as well. But for a truly global reach one needs to tie up with music labels abroad.

1 Like
3 Likes

Amarjit Batra - MD Spotify India, talking about their plans and growth in India.

3 Likes

Saregama announced demerger today. Should unlock value in the core music licensing business

Entire distribution business of the Company relating to sale of all its physical products including caravan on digital marketplaces along with identified non-core assets (including investment(s) in publication business) and other activities and/ or arrangements incidental or relating thereto (“E-Commerce Distribution Business”)

5 Likes

Saliant points of Demerger.

*Entire Distribution Business is demerged and formed as separate Company. (resulting Company) and will be listed in NSE and BSE.

*Two shares of the resulting Company of Rs 10/- Face value will be issued and allotted to the shareholders of the Demerged Company (original Company) for every one share of Rs 10/- face value.

*the Company is currently in process of seeking its shareholders approval for sub-division (split) of 1 (One) equity share of the Company having a face value of INR 10/- each (fully
paid-up) to be sub-divided into 10 (Ten) equity shares of face value of INR 1/- each (fully paid-up). In case the same is approved by the shareholders of the Company, the share entitlement ratio, Post Split, for the proposed Scheme would be as follows:“1 (One) fully paid up equity share of INR 10/- (Indian Rupees Ten only) each of the Resulting Company, credited as fully paid up, for every 5 (Five) equity share of INR 1/- (Indian Rupees One only) each of the Demerged Company.”

The demerged entity only constitutes 3.78% of the turnover of the existing entity… On the basis of this, the swap ratio seems unfair…

Looks like the swap ratio has been decided on the basis of the book value and not on the basis of the fair market value of the business…

Any views on this would be welcomed.

1 Like

Demerger also includes investment in group entities held by Saregama

The turnover of all resulting entity is only 3.78%

Yes, the resulting entity will hold physical assets of Saregama but the demerged entity will hold the digital assets. The book value of the physical assets may be fairly high but it is the digital business from where the moolah is coming…

So I feel digital business should have been given more valuation…

This also includes

12 crore PBT loss Publication business. Which straight away adds 500-600 crores to Market cap at current multiple.

Secondly all investments in group companies are going too.

Low volume and high impact move in my view.

Disc:- Invested and part of top 5 positons.

8 Likes

These are not “digital assets”, it`s just the sales of Caravan via Ecomm platforms for which they will charge some % as commission. All the assets remain with Saregama

Ya, so if everything is with Saregama - shouldnt Saregama get a better valuation?

Thanks for the info…

So shifting of this loss making publication business will increase the valuation of Saregama or the resulting company?

1 Like

Yes, that`s why stock is at UC :slight_smile:

1 Like

As per my understanding, it is the low income generating assets which have been spun out… And therefore on the basis of the earnings potential - the swap ratio is not justified…

May be justified on the basis of book value though…

1 Like

In addition to direct impact as above, one qualitative aspect is Corporate governance issues are done away with, paves way for higher conviction, both for retailers and stronger hands.

Lot of us has Vikram mehra has keyman in thesis and promoter intent was getting low score prior to this demerger, this act is reassuring on that front. Due credit to promoter group for this step, clearly shows their intent to unlock value, long overdue - esp Magzine draining cash.

Invested

6 Likes

Dude it’s a vertical split. So shareholding in Saregama is same as that in the spun out entity.

So the swap ratio is irrelevant.

Swap Ratio is very important from the taxation angle… See how the cost of acquisition would be determined for the resulting and demerged company.

I can easily book a tax loss without there being any loss…

1 Like