Raghav Productivity Enhancers (RPEL)

I find it funny that we are lambasting the management for diluting at Rs 515 when just 6 months ago nobody was complaining that the same management diluted at Rs170. Surely, not even the most optimistic shareholders would have dreamed that the stock would be up 4x in the last 6 months; and supposedly had RJ bought the same quantum of stock 6 months back at Rs 250; everyone would be happy. Is this a case of anchoring bias?

For me, it seems the stock price has long stopped reflecting reality. Part of the reason is the supremely low free float. Promoters own 70%, Another 15% is with long term investors, another ~6-7% is locked with those who got allotted shares in Feb as part of the pref issue. In such a scenario, and with such demand, the stock price has lost all meaning temporarily. I personally take the fact that RJ was willing to buy as a big positive that the company is moving in the right direction; and would probably take his buy price as a benchmark for what the stock is aactually worth.

Disc: Invested

6 Likes

Lets us do some digging about market size of its products, as per company its not more than 1000 crore then Why to give this high value for a crocodile in a little pond? Or the recent marquee investors know more than that?

Yes, Indian market size is limited at Rs 1000cr. However, the company is still below Rs 100cr revenue, so there appears to be room to grow. Really the company is bullish on the exports front, which contributed 25% of the revenue last FY. It seems they have succeeded in marketing their product internationally during the pandemic.

Questions:

1. Any idea about the global market size and are there any competitors with potential to disrupt?
  2. If the product improves productivity, the market size can grow. Any idea about this?

The company is also looking at other segments since the last few years unsuccessfully.

5 Likes

@sameernics The dilution is only around 5% which is equivalent to the daily price change in the last few days. So, I don’t think it is a big concern. Minority investors have already benefited much more due to the stock re-rating.

Reasons for offering discount to a big investor can be to build relationship with the investor, so the investor will stay invested with the company for a long time. The investor may also provide further capital in the future. Personally I don’t think such huge discount was needed, but I am not too bothered about it.

1 Like

I offloaded almost all of my holding today. There is possibility of further upside although the probability is low. There are other more promising alternatives for the next 12 months. Will consider buying again once the PE reduces significantly to 35-40 due to company performance or price correction.

2 Likes

RPEL declared Q2 numbers:

Although sales and profits are higher, receivables have increased sharply; this is also why cash flow has been impacted.
CCD proceeds have been kept in liquid FDs and MFs
Depreciation could be higher in Q3 due to increase in gross block

Disc- invested

4 Likes

Recent exchange announcement by RPEL:

Board meeting for appointment of a new director on the board. Will be interesting to see who this is. I won’t be surprised if there is a nominee director for one of the marquee investors.

Disc- invested

1 Like

What could be the potential anti-thesis pointers for the company?

Good numbers. Receivables have increased, though broadly in line with increase in revenue

Disc- invested

1 Like

Insightful interview

Few snippets:

4 Likes

Business

We can watch this video to understand what ramming mass is used for.

Ragav makes quartz & silica based ramming mass which is a refractory used to line induction furnace type steel reactors. Why do steel producers use ramming mass? It enhances the life of the induction furnace, reduces the electricity costs, & reduces the raw material costs by enabling steel producers to work with a facorable mix of pig iron & scrap steel. The ramming mass reduces the energy requirements for the steel making process & thus result in cost savings for the steel producer (To be understood what physical property of quartz or silica ramming mass results in lower heat requirements).Raghav Productivity Enhancers Limited (RPEL) is the largest ramming mass producer in the world. Quartz powder with a silica purity of 96-98% is called ramming mass and is widely used in the steel industry as a refractory material in lining of the inner surface of coreless induction furnaces for melting scrap, sponge and pig iron. Quartz powder with higher silica purity is used in glass and ceramics industries, while quartz powder with highest purity is used in the manufacture of ophthalmic lens and solar industry.

Competitive Advantages

While i was reading the VP thread, annual reports, AGM presentation of Raghav. Only one thought was going on in my mind, what a beautiful lollapalooza of multiple S curves of adoption.

(i) Ramming mass is essentially quartz or silica powder mixed with binding chemicals. The quality of the ramming mass is directly influenced by the quality/purity of the quartz source.

This is where raghav shines. Raghav’s plants are located near Quartz mines in Rajasthan & thus raghav has access to one world’s purest quartz.

(ii) Ramming mass is generally perceived to be a bulk commodity. This is why, transportation costs add significantly to the end user price. If you produce ramming mass worth 100 & spend 60 rupees transporting it, why would end user buy it at 160 rather than buy local ramming mass worth even 110? What Raghav did here is to study 100+ steel plants, their specific requirements, & using data analytics & their understanding of how induction furnaces work (they do have an in house induction furnace for R&D) they developed value added versions of ramming mass which customers are happy to pay extra for. Why? Because cost savings more than compensate.

Okay, so rather than buying a 100 rupees costed local low quality ramming mass, the end user is buying 200-300 rupee costed raghav ramming mass because the cost savings are at least 1000 rupees! Just see the ROI for the end user. We use only 30 KG of ramming mass every 1000 KG of steel produced. Stainless steel price is 48000 Rs / MT. Raghav ramming mass realization is 4800 Rs / MT. This means, that ramming mass is only 0.3% of steel production costs! This means that by putting up a 0.3% costing, steel producers can save 1.5% of revenue in costs! No wonder why steel producers are happy to buy this critical application product even at 2x -3x the costs. The ROI is totally worth it.

(iii) The bedrock of any technology business is R&D. Raghav set up an in-house R&D Centre, which tapped into the intellectual inputs of their collaborators, JWK, Sweden, and one of India’s most famous public engineering institutes. Their R&D Centre gained them the recognition of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), under the Ministry of Science and Technology of the Government of India. Even today, Raghav are the only company in the industry that can claim this distinction. R&D leader having own induction furnace, Data driven, tie-up with IIT Bombay, Advisory Board with global domain experts

(iv)

Opportunity size & Tailwinds

Raghav has only 10% of market share by volume. However, it has to be understood that raghav is a value added ramming mass maker. Thus, when raghav captures volume market share, it actually expands the value market share. Raghav products sell at least a 25-30% (in some cases 200-300%) premium to local competitors. Thus, when folks talk about 1000cr ramming mass market, it is actually expanded to at least 1200-2000 cr (depending on product mix raghav can accomplish) if we consider only raghav’s products. In Value terms of the potential maket, raghav’s market share might be significantly lower at 5-8% indicating larger opportunity size.

Ramming masses are only used in Induction furnace reactors. However, induction furnace reactors are gaining market share in developing markets. THis implies a tailwind for raghav’s products.

New planned steel capexes are :
JSW steel: 14.8M tons

Tata Steel: 5M Tons

JSPL: 6M Tons

NMDC: 3M Tons

This is almost a 27% increment in installed capacities (refer to total steel capacities pic above).

THis is also in line with ministry of steel targets to grow steel production at 8% PA.

Growth/capex

Layering of S curves of adoption/growth bridge:

1. Steel CAGR at 8%
  2. Shift to Induction furnace at 5% CAGR.
  3. Raghav Gaining volume market share: 7% CAGR
  4. Raghav Value added being higher than customer current refractory: 5%

I would not be surprised if raghav grows at 25% CAGR over next few years.

The growth is being led by continuous capex.

Installed capacities are growing 2x over the next few years. Newer capacities are also expected to have significant breakthrough in quality of quartz/silica used & also level of automation. I would not be surprised if newer capacities increase % of value added ramming mass even more.

Profitability

This favourable industry structure is visible in margins. Both gross & operating margins. The favorable product mix is visible in gross margins as well. Which expanded from 65% to 80% over last few years. A 80% gross margin player in a commodity industry? This shows true value add.

Fact that operating margins have not expanded as much shows elements of current supply chain disruption. I fully expect operating margin to go up in normalized scenario.

Optionalities

Many other industries use Processed Quartz such as glass, ceramics, engineered stone, semi -conductors, optical glass, solar -panels, rubber etc. Semiconductor & Solar panel are the key industry I would want to deep dive into. Clear secular growth trend in india. Can we find where ramming mass is used in these industries & how? Gives us a great idea about TAM. Question to management would be HOW they plan to capture these value chains.

Risks

GOvernment has recently imposed duties on steel exports. Steel Industry Hit As Govt Imposes Export Duty To Check Elevated Prices: Icra | Mint

However, it is clear that government has done so to “reign in steel prices”. Thus, i see this only as a temporary risk which only improves the valuation at which we are able to own a great co.

Valuation

Given the industry structure, the growth bridge, the criticality of the product the gross margins, the operating margins, the historic growth (20%+ CAGR for sales in last 1/2/5/10 years this is despite stopping low value activities like trading of ramming mass in the middle) visibility of future growth & competitive advantages, growth period (can easily growth 25% for next 5-10 years if it executes well), I find 27 times earnings a reasonable valuation if not cheap.

However, there is a catch. Look at the Q4 P&L. Specifically look at “Other expenses”.

These have gone up from 10cr to 17 cr. Typically in past these have growth in line with the topline. My suspicion is that the growth has been due to supply chain disruptions (freight, travel costs).

To confirm that I looked at FY21 Annual report:

And indeed, the largest header is freight & packaging materials & charges. I fully suspect that this abnormal growth in other expenses is due to supply chain disruptions & is a relative one-off (not present in steady state). Thus in terms of normalized earning power, i expect the profits to have been 8 cr. This gives us an earnings power of 32 cr. Thus, basis earning power RPEL is available at 16-17 times Which is too cheap. Reality is most likely somewhere in between 16 times & 27 times. Valuation is all about marrying numbers & narratives These are my numbers & my narratives. Do your own due diligence, find your own numbers & narratives.

Disclaimer: Bought today, invested & biased.

16 Likes

Have they been able to supply to Tata, SAIL, JSW as of today? If not, why?

1 Like

I think most of these big capexes which are happening are blast furnace. Seems JSW is going for blast furnace while Tata steel’s capex involves electric arc furnace and blast furnace both. Both of these dont require ramming mass.

Another risk remains the export duty which reduces the export mkt for the steel Players thus they might reduce their capex.

2 Likes

@sahil_vi,

Let me ask the question differently. How much tonnes of this ramming mass will be consumed in a typical year, if all of it was sourced from RPEL? That gives the max revenues/year if I know the approx. price /tonne. From there, we can sort of work out, how much growth we can see under normal circumstances?

I generally did this mentally with MOIL (manganese); there are not a lot of customers for that metal, so we are not talking multimillion tonnes of metal to use, therefore price, revenue etc will not be multibagger or stratospheric. All I look at is, is there anything in this commodity metal that I can leverage?

Like strikes? mine flooding? Processing issues and is the price down so far to take a position.

In the refractories space, there are too little opportunities tied to fewer industries, is it not then?

1 Like

I was wrong :sweat_smile:
These large companies have blast furnaces where there is no usage of ramming mass

2 Likes

Yes, actually the largest market for raghav are the smaller or medium sized players. The blast furnace are higher capital intensity & higher time to productionize

Duties only represent a temporary disruption to a secular trend. Once steel prices moderate, duties would go away.

What needs to be tracked are the capex of induction furnace steel making plants!

1 Like

Yes absolutely. There are 3 levers for growth :

1. Gaining market share
  2. Expanding market.
  3. Expanding wallet share by cross selling, up selling

Please see my earlier post. Please see the slide form AGM which i include as part of the tailwinds section. The share of capacities which are induction furnace has been increasing consistently over last 10-20 years. This is because of smaller players doing IF Capex with IF being easier to ramp up, cheaper to set up for smaller players. If you’re talking about the future (next 2-3 year) IF Capex plans & how to track , i don’t know but i can try asking management if im able to talk to the IR.

3 Likes

Found these from 2 websites -

‘’ Induction furnace size is small, suitable for small and medium-sized enterprises steelmaking. Electric arc furnace has large capacity, large scale and high production efficiency. “

“ Arc furnaces are usually in large batches starting from 25000kgs and above capacity, whereas induction furnaces can be found even as low as 500kg capacity so it is more cost-effective in smaller batch sizes from 500kg to 20000kg batches. “

1 Like

Correct. I will add a pictograph i found on this:

This itself shows why it is the smaller or medium cos which go for Induction furnace.

So there are pros & cons for both & seems like smaller cos prefer Induction furnace.

Is there a way to track IF capexes by smaller cos?? I request @Rakesh_Arora sir who tracks steel sector closely to please weigh in, in case he has an idea about this.

Also found this online

1 Like