PayTM (One 97 Communications Ltd)

The same can be told about social media companies. But we have only a handful of players like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Why? These are platforms that require a critical mass of users. This is true for online payment companies.

How difficult is it to get these critical mass of users for an online payment app? We can find out if we go to a grocery store nearby. Even six years after the demonetization (2016) and a pandemic (2020-21), and a very successful democratizing technology like UPI, we’re likely to find only 3 main ways to do online payment to your grocer (paytm, phonepe, gpay). In spite of huge war chest, WhatsApp couldn’t succeed, Amazon Pay couldn’t break through yet in this space. The moat is not exclusive, but clearly the entry barrier is very high.

No matter how bizarre the comparison looks now, this is very much comparable if we consider this:

• One company has to have an army of sales people making cold calls who are under constant severe pressure to increase the sales numbers (Check social media about people getting frustrated with spam calls from Bajaj Finance).
  • The other company has zero sales people making zero calls, yet able to disburse incredible number of loans. Yes, the size of the loans is small, but clearly the writing is on the wall about what is the best way to increase sales. Did you get any sales call from paytm pestering about personal loans ever?

I believe this is the only valid skepticism, as Paytm is indeed losing truck load of money. Is this skepticism priced in the current valuations? Maybe. We also should not forget that PayPal, Facebook, or Amazon were loss making. So it is not unreasonable for people to believe that paytm could also become profitable, considering that they’re not taking in lots of debt.

Another way to look at is this: Are online payment players important for our economy? Yes. One can even think that it will be a disaster for our economy if none of them become profitable. So if any of these players can become profitable, paytm has a better of the chances to be that one. How much is this belief worth is what drives paytm’s current valuations.

Clearly, the early investors like Softbank don’t have this belief, as they’re selling off after lock-in period (or under pressure from their investors).

Paytm’s valuation should consider these aspects.

Disclosure: Invested for learning purposes.

10 Likes

I think Paytm has better foundation built than bajaj finance only unknown here is where they will be able to build what bajaj built on that foundation (foundation is basically user data, technology capabilities, moats etc)

Some major concern for me are

Chinese ownership
Monetization of large userbase
Scalablity of payment bank

All current losses are justified if they execute well

No investment. Looks interesting at current level

4 Likes

I am saying this from a user’s perspective, I know nothing about its business.

Been using Paytm for more than a year, app is neat, satisfied with the services of Wallet and Bank Account they provide, execution of transactions is flawless, never faced any glitches, reports of Wallet and Bank Account, did not use any other service like credit card, or loan, did not make any deposit.

Although the aforementioned services (excluding the services which are provided with tie-ups with banks) could be provided from other payment apps too, I don’t know, but Paytm does the job for me.

I don’t know its place in the fintech space, but I think it deserves a place to be in there, as it works.

4 Likes

The bet on paytm is on them being to acquire good set of borrowers using their payment platforms and keeping them with them for long.It should no longer being considered as a payment business but a lending business.People can talk of threat of new players but as far as I can see, management concentration will be key to success in this business.Players like Jio,Amazon ,whatsapp don’t have as much as skin in the game as Paytm does as it’s the only thing they do.Phone pe is the real competitor here …I am interested to see how much unserved market share is still there among small merchants for credit.I see a lot of opportunities there if they execute well

6 Likes

Agreed. Key things that are important for me:

1. Tapering down of ESOPs
  2. Hidden risks in financial services (maybe there is a subvention clause somewhere)
  3. Management execution capability
  4. Path to profitability
2 Likes

I know my place as an investor.

IPO was mostly OFS therefore it was most likely set to be as expensive as possible.

Profitability is still distant. UPI is the future and is 100% Govt regulated. And I don’t like to invest where govt regulation is strong. (Banks are heavily regulated, but there is path to profitability and a proven track record)

App is great, super good. It is for the masses. Small ticket loans for everyday expenses is made easy. India being a Low credit penetrated country gives Paytm a hope for survival.

Being a loan intermediate is it’s primary revenue sources.

But, can it be replaced by Gpay, WhatsApp or Airtel/Jio app?

I feel as soon as there is profitability these players will jump in. Esp, these Mobile operators, they will start with giving some incentives/freebies and get people to convert to their apps. Most of the structure is already in place.

So, I feel, although PaytM is omnipresent, it’s survival might be at stake as the entry barriers are not high enough. Add to it the fact that it’s burning cash, makes it a time bomb.

Not invested, but curious. Invested only in Nykaa, of these new age stocks, since it doesn’t have all these overhangs.

6 Likes

Doesn’t VSS owns more than 50% stake in PBBL and PayTM owns less? I hope it doesn’t affect the stock negatively in any way if VSS gets booted out.

After Nykaa’s controversial bonus issue, here comes PayTM with its own googly…

Buyback !

It will be interesting to watch what stand the Independent Directors take on this issue and how the Board justifies if this is the best utilization of the company’s cash.

According to the DRHP, the objects of the IPO were as follows:

Rs. 8300 crore was raised for the above. Though ‘general corporate purposes’ has a wide definition, I don’t think a buyback would fit into it as it is not a routine operational action.

Nevertheless, the company had more than Rs.5000 crore gross cash even before the IPO, and so long as the buyback size is smaller than this, the company can claim buyback is not funded from IPO money. This probably will make the buyback proposal legally tenable. But SEBI may still intervene, especially if there is a public outcry. Let’s see…

(Disc.: No positions)

8 Likes

Very surprising. Business model of Paytm is basically of NBFC(called a fintech). Are they technically allow to do this?

Seems like new age company don’t have confidence in there business model and are more interested in PE investors (to provide them exit route)

Paytm is not a NBFC. It is a payment provider.

Why this buyback is considered as route for PE to exit, is there is any lockin which restricting them to sell in open market?

1 Like

We can debate whether main revenue steam of Paytm is of NBFC model or not.

But the entity is Cash burning (may be reduced significantly), simply they are not making any money from there operating activity.

Just after IPO management want to Buyback, doesn’t it simply mean they are more interested in share price whereas they should strengthen there business with IPO money.

1 Like

Just now when I was becoming confident that management has learnt it’s lessons and will put their head down and execute, they come up with this.
I don’t know why they think this antic will bring confidence to share holders.In expected troubled times ahead for economy, it would have been better to keep high cash reserves. They could have very well done this after they turn profitable.

7 Likes

Any insights into this proposed buyback? Who does this really benefit?

It benefits no one(Company or investor).First of all,buy back itself didn’t make any sense and also Buy back through open markets instead of tender is a sham.Only respite is the amount of 850 crores which is less than the expected amount.Wonder who comes up with these ideas

6 Likes

Why do you feel tender offer is better than buying from open markets. Isnt buying from open market is better since the company may try to buy at lower prices, thus saving more money than in tender offer where they have to keep price higher usually. Would like to understand (for learning purpose).

2 Likes

Open market buyback is good for company

Tender buyback is good for investors.

Open market buyback does push the price up (look at Kaveri Seeds) but there’s no guarantee

2 Likes

In tender offer, 15 % of the buyback is reserved for small investors i.e. those holding shares below Rs.200,000. So usually, they get a higher entitlement of the buyback than institutional investors.

In tender offer, investors have certainty that their shares will be bought back at the buyback price (as per their entitlement). In open market buyback, investors have to sell at the market price which is often below the buyback price. So there is no additional benefit.

In tender offer, investors do not have to pay capital gains tax. Company pays the buyback tax. In open offer, capital gains tax is applicable for selling shareholders.

So generally tender offer is good for selling shareholders, open market buyback is good for continuing shareholders.

7 Likes

Paytm is returning excess cash before it even has it

If you’re the management of a publicly listed company, and you make a nice profit at the end of the year, there’s a couple of things you can do with those profits. You
could, of course, invest that money back into your company. That’s how your business would grow, after all. But you could also return some of that cash back to the investors in your company.

Depending on the company, market prospects, competition, past investments, etc., etc, both of these are valid choices and you can make a well-thought out, calculated decision by considering all these factors and speaking to your investors and getting their opinion. The bottom line is that if you have profits and excess cash, you also have the luxury of making a choice about what to do with that money. If your company doesn’t make a profit, there wouldn’t be excess cash to “return” to your investors. You’re surviving off the money they gave you in the first place!

Well, last week, Paytm upended this very simple model I just described above by being an unprofitable company that decided to return money to its investors. They’re planning on giving back up to ₹850 crores ($102 million) [1]. This is a company that had a net loss of more than ₹2300 crores ($280 million) last year and is on its way to losing even more this year. From the company blog:

Our Board has approved the proposal for buyback of equity shares on Tuesday (December 13, 2022). All directors present voted unanimously in favour of the proposal, including independent directors. We will undertake a buyback of up to ₹850 crores (excluding buyback taxes and other transaction costs) at a maximum price of ₹810 per share, and have opted for the open market through stock exchanges method, which is to be completed within a maximum period of 6 months. Our Board has determined that a buyback of the company’s shares would be accretive for its shareholders, citing strong financial performance, clear path to cash flow generation and excess cash as a result.

Paytm doesn’t have excess cash, its management just sees a “clear path” to excess cash sometime in the future which they feel is a good enough reason to start returning money. Usually it’s a good idea to actually having excess cash before you start returning that cash.

Two buybacks, this is neither

If a company invests a ton in research and development, pays its employees top salaries, ensures it’s a notch above competition, and still ends up with excess cash, returning that money is usually nice. Apple is a great example, it invests billions in research and still ends up with money remaining. Paytm is obviously no Apple.

Alternatively, if a company has genuinely, wholly run out of ideas, if it’s just tired and yet ends up with money every year, returning money is still nice? No point investing it back into the company. IBM is a great example. But Paytm is no IBM either—if anything it’s a company with too many ideas. It began with payments, now it’s got stocks, shopping, movie tickets, bus tickets, loans, and it doesn’t seem to stop!

So why really does Paytm need to go through all this bad PR and announce a buyback? (I’m grateful to have a sweet topic to write about, though. Thanks, VSS.)

Some investors are more equal than other investors

Now that Paytm is a publicly listed company, its responsibility towards all its shareholders (investors) is the same—increase the company’s share price so that all shareholders can benefit equally. Sure, sometimes a company’s investors might disagree with each other and the company will obviously listen to whoever owns a larger stake, but ultimately the benefits will go to all investors.

And yet, we know that a company would probably like some investors more than others. If you were an early venture capital (VC) investor who invested in a company while it was just a baby, you’re bound to have a strong relationship with the founder and management [2]. The founder probably came to you for advice. You might call them over to give motivational talks to other entrepreneurs. Maybe even retweet each other’s tweets. A company is more likely to like them more than its new investors who bought shares after it was all big and fancy.

When Paytm decided to do a buyback, it had two options.

1. Buy shares from the open market. Whoever sells shares when Paytm is buying gets to sell their shares to the company. This is what Paytm’s going to do
  2. Run a “tender offer”. Decide on a fixed price. Ask investors interested in selling shares to apply. If there are more shares being sold than Paytm can afford to buy, it has to buy an equal number of shares from every investor, and pick them at random. It can’t pick and choose which specific investors to buy from

If you’re a VC investor in Paytm looking to sell your stock, you’d want the buyer to be Paytm itself. Because Paytm would pay more than whatever else any investor would (the whole point of the buyback). But if Paytm ran a tender offer, you might not get to sell any of your shares, and even if you did, it would be a small number at best. If Paytm’s buying shares from the open market, though, you might get “lucky” and sell a lot more than the company’s post-IPO investors.

And “luck” can be manufactured, of course. As a VC investor, you’re buds with the founder. Even the company might like to buy the stock from you instead of from a normie investor. But Paytm can’t pick a particular seller when it’s buying stock from the open market. It’s got to buy from whoever’s selling.

Now, Paytm is a fairly liquid stock. There’s a lot of buying and selling happening constantly. Even if Paytm wants to favour its VCs, it wouldn’t be easy. But it’s definitely possible! There are some days when there are just fewer investors trading in the market [3]. Paytm could turn up in the market right before, say, New Year’s day and dump its entire chunk of ₹850 crores while most regular investors are chilling in Goa or Thailand, and VCs could just happen to be selling at the same time.4

I’m not suggesting that this is what Paytm has in mind. This would require that Paytm communicate with their VCs and tell them exactly when it would buy stock, and that would be insider trading. Which is very illegal! I’m not saying that Paytm plans to do illegal stuff, all I’m saying is that this buyback makes sense only if they do plan to do illegal stuff.

Yesterday, India’s markets regulator SEBI approved its proposal from last month to gradually do away with open-market buybacks entirely [5] :

Under the stock exchange route, there is a possibility of one shareholder’s entire trade getting matched with the purchase order placed by the company and thus depriving other shareholders to avail the benefit of buyback. This runs contrary to the underlying principle of equitable treatment which forms the basis of all the corporate actions.

It’s almost as if Paytm read this proposal and rushed to do an open-market buyback while it still had the chance.

​

Footnotes:

[1] An unprofitable company returning its future excess cash to investors is weird. What’s weirder is that Paytm had quite the IPO just last year. It raised ₹18,300 ($2.2 billion), then the largest ever in India! A bit more than half of this went to Paytm’s older investors, and ₹8,300 ($1 billion) to the company to invest in the business.

[2] Obviously VCs can have bitter, bitter conflicts with founders in which case a company’s management would rather not listen to them. This usually never happens for large companies, though, and would much likelier happen during a company’s early days.

[3] I checked the total trade value for Paytm’s stock and even though it is a liquid stock, there is a lot of variance on a day-to-day level. The minimum traded value on NSE in the last 3 months was just about ₹13 crores ($1.5 million) on 24 October, Diwali day. The highest was about ₹3,158 crores ($380 million) on 17 November (the average is about ₹287 crores). If Paytm were to buy shares worth ₹850 crores on a day with low trade volumes, whoever’s selling can get a much higher price for their shares.

[4] Paytm wouldn’t only buy the VC’s shares if this were to happen. But the VCs would get to sell a lot more shares than otherwise this way. Oh also, if Paytm actually started buying up shares on New Year’s Eve it would be extremely suspicious. Usually these things are more subtle.

[5] Additionally, here are two papers that assess whether insiders (such as VCs) benefit from open-market buybacks. Both of them think, yep, they do.

15 Likes

That is wrong. In open offer, if the buyer is company, Then you will pay no tax. May be people can correct me if I am wrong here.

1 Like

In the open market purchase route, the seller does not know who the buyer is. So the sale will have to be treated as a normal secondary market sale and capital gains tax will be applicable. That is what my understanding is.

Source: https://www.livemint.com/money/personal-finance/is-the-double-taxation-on-buyback-of-listed-shares-still-required-11667501936587.html

1 Like