Paras Defence and Space Technologies Limited (“Paras Defence”) :- Big News ! A Potential Investment Gem?

What motivated me to write this topic?

The recent Transfer of Technology (ToT) from SAMEER (Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering & Research, Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Govt. of India) to Paras Defence and Space Technologies Limited marks a pivotal moment in the company’s trajectory. On February 5, 2024, the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Government of India, entrusted Paras Defence with the Smart Warehouse technology for the secure storage of grains. This significant development has prompted a closer examination of Paras Defence’s potential as an investment opportunity, compelling me to delve deeper into the company’s overall prospects.

At the “Digital India FutureLABS Summit 2024,” hosted at IIIT-Delhi, the unveiling of the Smart Food Grain Storage System (SAFEETY) by SAMEER under the auspices of MeitY ( Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India) has ushered in a new era for Paras Defence and Space Technologies Limited. This innovative system, boasting features like conveyorized loading & unloading with RFID traceability, online weight and moisture measurement, and Radio Frequency-Based Moisture Removal, is a testament to cutting-edge technological advancements. The transfer of this technology to Paras Defence positions the company at the forefront of efficient and state-of-the-art grain storage solutions. With a remarkable capability to handle nearly one truckload (approximately 28 tons) of grains in just 40 minutes, the SAFEETY system not only reflects technological prowess but also has the potential to significantly enhance Paras Defence’s value proposition in the agricultural and logistics sectors. The integration of such advanced systems aligns with the company’s commitment to innovation, and it will be fascinating to observe how this development contributes to Paras Defence’s future growth and market standing.

About The Company :- Paras Defence & Space Technologies Limited: A Pioneer in Defence Engineering

Introduction

Paras Defence & Space Technologies Ltd. stands as India’s most progressive Tier 2 Defence Engineering Company, offering a wide range of defence products and solutions. With exclusive capabilities from concept to commissioning, Paras plays a crucial role in bolstering India’s defence and space capabilities.

Areas of Expertise

Defence Electronics: Paras specializes in cutting-edge defence electronics, contributing to critical defence systems.

Defence & Space Optics: The company is the sole Indian supplier of large-size optics and diffractive gratings for space applications.

Defence Heavy Engineering: Paras excels in heavy engineering projects related to defence infrastructure.

Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Protection Solutions: Paras provides solutions to safeguard against EMP threats.

Niche Technologies: The company explores innovative technologies to enhance defence capabilities.

Group Companies – Subsidiaries

Paras Defence & Space Technologies Limited (the Holding Company) has four subsidiaries:

1.Paras Green Optics Private Limited

2.Opel Technologies Pvt. Ltd

3.Paras Aerospace Private Limited

4.Paras Anti-Drone Technologies Private Limited.

Paras Green Optics Private Limited is an Indian wholly-owned subsidiary of the Holding Company, engaged in the manufacture of optical components and assemblies for defence and space applications.

Opel Technologies Pvt. Ltd . is a foreign wholly-owned subsidiary of the Holding Company, based in Singapore, providing solutions for efficient sourcing from across the world.

Paras Aerospace Private Limited is an Indian subsidiary of the Holding Company, with 60% holding, involved in drones, drone services and associated technologies.

Paras Anti-Drone Technologies Private Limited is an Indian subsidiary of the Holding Company, with 55% holding, developing radio frequency and microwave systems and sub-systems to counter unmanned aerial vehicles.

The Holding Company also has a 58.02% stake in Ayatti Innovative Private Limited, an Indian subsidiary engaged in the manufacturing of structural metal products, especially for railway coaches.

The Holding Company has one associate company, Krasny Paras Defence Technologies Private Limited, with 47.50% shareholding, which is a joint venture with Krasny Defence Technologies Private Limited, a leading defence technology company in India.

Diversified customer base :-

The company caters to a diverse clientele, including prestigious government organisations involved in defence and space research, defence public sector undertakings and private entities (both in India and globally)

The company’s government customers include Defence R&D Organisation, ISRO, Bharat Electronics, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, BrahMos Aerospace, Indian Ordnance Factory, and various shipyards and laboratories.

The company’s private customers include Godrej, Larsen & Toubro, Tata Power, Tata Consultancy Services, Kirloskar Brothers, and Solar Industries India.

The company’s international customers include Israel Aerospace Industries, Rafael Advanced Defence Systems, Elbit Systems, Controp, Singapore Electronics, Tae Young Optics, and Chaban Group.

The company’s business segment-wise operational revenue for FY 2022-23 was 55% from government customers, 30% from private customers, and 15% from international customers.

Drone technologies :

Paras Defence offers a wide range of drone technologies and solutions through its subsidiary Paras Aerospace. These include drone manufacturing, management, and services for various applications such as agriculture, industrial infrastructure, GIS and engineering, and training. Paras Aerospace also develops next-generation drone technology with long endurance, high load-carrying capacity, and high speed.

Anti-drone technologies:

Paras Defence provides comprehensive anti-drone systems for 360-degree surveillance and protection against hostile drones. These systems are based on radio frequency and microwave technology, which is a core strength of Paras Defence. The anti-drone systems find applications in critical infrastructure, border protection, mass events, VIP protection, maritime protection, military and security protection. Paras Defence has entered into a technology transfer agreement with CerbAir, a leading European anti-drone company, for developing next-generation jammers.

R&D :

Paras Defence is a leading private sector company operating in the defence and space segments, with indigenously designed, developed and manufactured (IDDM) capabilities.

The company has three R&D facilities across Nerul (Navi Mumbai), Bengaluru and Ahmedabad, with a team of over 45 engineers and officers with expertise in product design and engineering.

The company’s R&D activities are focused on creating new products and solutions, customised to meet customer expectations and end-user preferences, as well as improving production processes and existing product quality.

The company’s R&D capabilities include product designing, product engineering, product simulation, prototyping and testing across four technology-based verticals of defence and space optics, defence electronics, heavy engineering for defence and electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) protection solutions.

The company has also entered into several collaborations with global technology companies and organisations such as DRDO, ISRO, CONTROP, Elbit Systems, etc. to strengthen its competencies and global reputation.

The company has a strong presence of ex-ISRO employees in its R&D team, who bring in rich experience and knowledge in the field of space optics, hyperspectral imaging, flow-forming, etc. Some of the ex-ISRO employees working with the company are:

Krishna Murthy : He has over 35 years of experience in ISRO and has been involved in the design, development and testing of various optical systems for space applications, such as large mirrors, gratings, lenses, etc.

R.S. Bisht : He has over 38 years of experience in ISRO and has been involved in the design, development and testing of various mechanical systems and components for space applications, such as flow-formed tubes, cold plates, titanium structures, etc.

C.P. Dewan : He has over 36 years of experience in ISRO and has been involved in the design, development and testing of various electronic systems and components for space applications, such as power supplies, control systems, telemetry systems, etc.

K.R. Murali : He has over 34 years of experience in ISRO and has been involved in the design, development and testing of various optical systems and components for space applications, such as large mirrors, gratings, lenses, etc.

S. Somashaker : He has over 33 years of experience in ISRO and has been involved in the design, development and testing of various optical systems and components for space applications, such as large mirrors, gratings, lenses, etc.

Market and regulatory risks :

The company operates in the defence and space sectors, which are subject to various market and regulatory risks, such as changes in government policies, budgetary allocations, procurement processes, import restrictions, export controls, competition from local and foreign players, technological obsolescence and intellectual property rights infringement.

End note :

In the end, I would come back to the point that motivated me to write this topic: the recent Transfer of Technology (ToT) from SAMEER (Society for Applied Microwave Electronics Engineering & Research, Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, Govt. of India) to Paras Defence and Space Technologies Limited. I invite my esteemed fellow forum members to engage in a thoughtful discourse on this strategic development at Paras Defence and Space Technologies Limited. The successful transfer of the Smart Food Grain Storage System (SAFEETY) technology, prompts a comprehensive evaluation of the company’s future trajectory. The intricacies of this advanced grain storage solution, warrant a nuanced discussion on its potential impact. As we collectively delve into the intricacies of this technological leap, I look forward to leveraging the diverse expertise within our forum to analyse how this milestone positions Paras Defence in the market and the potential implications for its sustained growth. Your insightful perspectives will undoubtedly enrich our understanding and contribute to a more comprehensive assessment of the company’s strategic direction.

Disclosure : As a first-time contributor to this esteemed forum, I apologize for any inadvertent errors in my post. Additionally, I hold a tracking position in the script discussed.

7 Likes

I anticipate favorable outcomes, so I significantly increased my position ahead of tomorrow’s results.

1 Like

Thanks @RADHEY_KRISHNA for the wonderful write up, great effort!
I followed this company when it was getting listed in Oct21. I came across some news article/ writeup/ comment on a business news channel or something, not able to recollect, which said that the promoters of this company have no background in defence sector and the allied space. Upon listing it moved in upper circuits for some days, which was actually the topping out of markets in Oct21 coincidentally!

Because of these 2 points, I ignored the company then. Your writeup has reignited the interest atleast for me. I tried to search the news piece I am referring to but could not find despite spending some good amount of time.

In case you come across any such thing, please update here. Would be very helpful! :slight_smile:

Another thing which is a slight bother for me is why has the stock price for this company not moved at all! It was at today’s level in Nov21 for the last time. Other defence stocks (private and government both) have moved multifold in 20 months!!

4 Likes

Paras Defence and Space Technologies Limited has received a contract from Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited for spraying agri-products using drones, covering up to 5 lakh acres, with a value of approximately Rs. 20 crores. The contract is to be executed by September 30, 2024.

786cd120-c2c4-4aff-b0bc-64327d819d8c.pdf (273.0 KB)

1 Like

Hi All,

On one side we are seeing a breakout from technical perspective but on the other side , Q4 FY24 results are not that great(QoQ up, YoY down). How should we proceed when market opens on Monday from short term perspective?

Hi @duvvurib you should wait for breakout and retest in this scenario. This sould take out the fear of a breakout failure.

1 Like