Parag Milk Foods - FMCG company just in Name or Deed?

Concall notes for Q4 FY19.

• Gross margins declined by 2.5-2.8% for following reasons.
    SMP sales higher than average, 1-1.5% reduction due to this.
    Milk prices started going up, effect of 0.8-1% due to this. Lag effect in passing of milk price increase, passed on this quarter.

• Drop in EBITDA margin is temporary and will be normalised going forward. Following were the reasons for decline.
    Other expenses were higher this year, going forward they will be reduced, not sustainable at these levels.
    Rs. 16-17 cr were one time expense booked in Q4FY19. Earlier made provision of CGST receivable of Rs. 8 cr from government. This was reversed this quarter and booked in other expenses as it’s unlikely that it will be received. Balance due to change in accounting method and one time provision done for that.

• Total Capex of Rs. 80 cr in FY 19. This includes Rs. 30 cr of IPO proceeds utilised for stated purpose, Rs. 20-23 cr for Danone Plant and balance is maintenance capped.

• In FY19 daily processing of milk was 14-15 lac litre. Volume growth is 25% yoy in FY19.

• Inventory days reduced from 82 days to 71 days in FY19. It will get better going forward. 50% of business is from QSR so working capital requirements will be there.

• Tax rate is lower in Q4 due to write backs of previous years on completion of previous year’s assessment. It will be at 25% for FY20.

• Depreciation came down in Q4FY19 due to some reversal done by auditor, it’s a one off thing. It will resume back to normal levels from this quarter.

• Procurement prices of milk for FY19 was 24-25 litre. It will be around Rs. 26-27 per litre in FY20.

• Amount receivable under PSI scheme from govt. is Rs. 52 cr as on 31.03.2019 (it was Rs. 62 cr. as on 31.03.2018). During the year received Rs. 29 cr from govt. and accrued was 20-21 cr in FY19. Annual PSI run rate at Rs. 20-25 cr.

• Milk subsidy outstanding at 38-40 cr as on 31.03.2019. Received Rs. 28 cr. in April 2019.

• SMP will remain at 13-14% of sales on yearly basis. It should not be seen on QoQ basis. Sale of SMP depends on market situation and demand at the time.

• 60% of SMP comes from customised products sold to large companies like Nestle, Unilever and others.

• Health nutrition segment sales target to be 6-7% in FY21.

• Revenue from Avvatar is currently at Rs. 3.5 cr per month. In FY 20 it’s going to be at Rs. 5 cr. p.m.

• Revenue from Danone plant was at Rs. 4 cr per month for Q4. It will be Rs. 7-8 cr. per month for FY20.

• Swarna Gowardhan Ghee launched in south at Rs. 605 per KG, it’s higher by 18% than the regular Gowardhan Brand.

• Pledging of shares was increased due to change of lender during the year. Change was done due lower interest rate with new lender. Hair cut is higher with new lender therefore pledging increased.

Regards
Harshit

12 Likes

Checkout the deleivery volumes after the concall…

Looks like someone has accumulated the stock…

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

can someone tell me when and where will be the agm??

Parag Milk Foods launches its premium milk brand ‘Pride of Cows’ in Singapore

7e720207-f715-425a-86c1-808c1692c303.pdf (948.8 KB)

Is it scalable business as they have started uplifting and selling it in Delhi and Singapore?

My presentation on Parag Milk in VP Chintan Baithak 2019.

Regards
Harshit

7 Likes

Hi @harshitgoel, thank you for a very detailed and informative presentation. I too have been researching about Parag since some time now, and I feel it has long runway for growth with it’s product profile, especially VADP. However, one thing that keeps bothering me is the promoter pledging, as mentioned in your risks portion. How do you view that, considering today’s overall scenario where the market is very sensitive towards corporate governance and promoter integrity? Does that affect your confidence in the company? Would like your take on this.

Thanks again! Great work.

When it comes to Promoter pledging, it’s a material risk. It’s something which we have to closely monitor. I start with small allocation and then look for improvement/deterioration in Loan or Pledge shares. Also listening to con-calls helps in understanding the promoter’s view point and their intention regarding pledge shares.

Thanks & Regards
Harshit

3 Likes

I like the new commercial. Its like the Nerolac’s recent strategy ‘meregadipenerolac’. They are leveraging their success in B2B market for alluring B2C clients. Most Consumers don’t know that Go Cheese is used in most QSRs.

Q&A with Akshali Shah:

2 Likes

Venkat Shankar is a seasoned FMCG professional with over three decades of experience in dairy, FMCG, private equity, media and advertising roles. Prior to joining Parag, he was the VP & Head of the dairy business at Britannia Industries Ltd.

Another good appointment

5 Likes

Recent July 2019 credit rating report by ICRA. Ratings upgraded to [ICRA]A+(Stable)/[ICRA]A1 from [ICRA]A(Stable)/[ICRA]A2+.

Key Points.

• In FY2019, the operating margins declined to 9.4% from 10.1% in FY2018, as the Q4 FY2019 sales were dominated by SMP (lower gross margin product) in order to avail export benefits provided by the state and Central Governments.

• It has a strong distribution network for pouched milk in Mumbai, Nagpur and Pune districts of Maharashtra as well as parts of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.

• PMFL also sells products such as SMP, cheese and butter to institutional clients.

• The company receives payments from its institutional customers within 45 days.

• Its inventory days are high primarily due to cheese, which is aged over months as a part of the manufacturing process. PMFL also maintains a high inventory of butter, which is used as buffer raw material for ensuring an uninterrupted flow of ghee etc.

• The creditors are mostly milk aggregators, packaging vendors and transportation carriers. Some of the milk aggregators use LCs, which are paid after an extended credit period while other milk suppliers are paid within 23-35 days. PMFL also provides corporate guarantee for bill discounting facility to its suppliers.

• The utilisation of working capital limits reduced to 91% in FY2019 from 98% in the previous year.

Regards
Harshit Goel

6 Likes

Go Cheese Campaign

1 Like

Don’t understand why the Analysts think that the top line and bottomline of Indian dairy companies will be affected!
If this happens, then RM (milk) price will get reduced & also the companies will have to cut the price of the products they sell. So, margins shouldn’t be affected for these companies. In fact margins can in fact increase if they choose not to reduce the price of the finished products in line with the RM.

So, IMO

1. Nothing will change for these companies. (Neutral)
  2. Consumers will get lower priced dairy products. (Good)
  3. Animal husbandry will become unviable in India. (Bad)

But, something will change for sure. Companies like Amul, Mother Dairy, Parag Milk etc. have created their procurement chain after years of effort. With this initiative the companies which were struggling to gain access to the Dairy chains of India, like the Dairy Division of Britannia will be benefitted. A level playing ground will be created which is certainly bad for existing strong players.

Correct me if I am missing something.

Disc. Invested.

3 Likes

Googling for the price of a litre of full fat regular milk in Australia (cheapest), NZ (cheapest) and India (premium - Amul Diamond) gives me this:

Country Price FF milk/litre Price in INR
Australia AUD 1.1 54
New Zealand NZ$ 2.2 102
India (Amul Diamond) Rs. 56 56
1 Like

I do not understand how milk can be profitably imported and sold. Even in India, milk is sold only with in the vicinity of its different zones. Milk needs cooling infrastructure which India lacks. I think it would be the by products that would be imported such as cheese, yoghurt, cream, ice cream, flavour milk etc. which is where the margins are and this will be a negative for Indian companies.

1 Like

The same could be said about potato wafers also called chips and crisps

Who would have thought international companies would tie up with local farmers and give them a variant of potatoes to cultivate

1 Like

Skimmed Milk Powder (SMP) would be imported and not liquid milk.

2 Likes