New to VP - How to make the most of VP Learning Base

And anything for the hungrier/passionate learner :slight_smile:?

I can vouch if I had some senior drawing out something like this for me in 2010/11 timeframes, I would have been his/her lifelong disciple. All Mentors will point you towards developing/firming up your own Mental Models (somewhat subconscious decision-tree - everyone has them - strong decision-impacters - NOT easy to articulate though).

This is something I had great fun with when I completed this in one inspired flow in 2020.
Pity, we haven’t taken this forward systematically/prioritised this.

Warning: this is not for the faint-hearted; only the most passionate ones would probably persist with understanding/absorbing and delivering a model like this for their favourite business. From personal experience I can tell this was huge for me. In fact my Guru Mr D (Capital Allocation and Art of Valuation fame) complimented us on this. His comments you guys have finally nailed it. He meant the process part. I am sure the Product part can be improved a few notches (if I find some passionate young ones driving this) with more placeholder-boxes to prompt the right questions while thinking about any business.

PS: Inspiration for Mental Models - Poor Charlies Almanack
Passionate/Curious ones MUST give this full attention. It was THE most promising/intoxicating investing-related book I ever read - spent full nights on 3 occasions unable to put it down. Alas! the next morning I would be unable to capture in 2-3 paras - what all that excitement was about :slight_smile:. I gave up after 3 tries in 2011, decided that Mr Munger has deliberately kept it - just that bit - beyond our easy grasp. One has to churn and churn through ones experiences/decisions/discussions with seniors to be able to deliver on this I guess

20 Likes