My US stock portfolio - started

Yes totally agree. I was a bit worried about knowing that process and taxes but true if its clean nothing to worry about. this helps @rkirana

1 Like

Added another $30K investments. Total portfolio value now $200K

1 Like

Its a crime not to invest in Tesla :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve put just 10k in Interactive Brokers through First Global but didnā€™t venture further. I felt very unsure regarding the fed printing dollars, US debt scenario. Is it always a ā€œUS is too big to failā€ scenario. How do these issues factor when we decide to invest in $. Do we have a route to invest in other markets in their own currencies rather than the $ route. I could find only the $ route when I talked to my banker while giving the LRS declaration of RBI.

Indirectly invested via Cathies ARK funds as you see

How is interactive advisors smallcase kind ofā€¦any one usedā€¦please advise

ARK was selling Tesla through out October (or at least second half of the month), then in November first week as well from its ARKK, ARKQ, ARKW.
They might be still holding, but allocation is not as high as we see in September Factsheet.
I donā€™t like their too much trading around the stocks, Cathie says that her long term TESLA target is $3000, but then again selling/sold to catch few percentage up/down or probably to balance the fund.
ARK funds also didnā€™t do very good in last 1 year period.

Do you know any good advisory service in USAā€¦please advise

1 Like

Also looking for a good PMS or an advisory service in the US

Still nowā€¦no luck on finding long term advisory serviceā€¦still search is going on advisory service

Probably better to form a telegram channel to discuss and research u.s. only stocks
Advisory group will be hit and miss
If anyone is interested we can look into further details
I bought Apyx medical corp and lcid & envx as medium term bets

1 Like

I am interested. Or maybe a whatā€™app group

Thanks to the community here. I have started to build my US EQ PF. My plan is for long term 3+ years so have well know established names in tech, finance and healthcare

Will wait for some time to gain confidence and follow up and digging.

Currently have
Nvidia
MIcrosoft
Adobe
TSM
Thermo Fisher
Agen
JPMC

On Radar / benches
Lucid
Black Rock
Apple
Google
Tesla (waiting for it may be in the range of 850-900)

Morgan Houselā€™s ( who wrote the best seller " The Psychology of Money") is associated with Motley Fool and they seem to have stock portfolio services (link below). May be something worth for you to consider.

Disclaimer: I have never used them nor I have a US stock portfolio.

Be careful with advisory services for US stocks if you are unable to handle volatility. Most of these premium services recommend new age growth stocks (with good potential) that are highly volatile and need to be invested for a long term (5-10 yrs) to make money (no guarantee though). At present, valuations for many such US based growth stocks are coming down to earth with no sign of abating. For example, pandemic era winners like Docusign fell almost 45% in a single day after earning. Other growth stocks like Zoom/Twilio etcā€¦ fell almost 20-25% in a single day even meeting or beating earnings expectations. This kind of volatility/stock price movement is rare for Indian equities. So one should prepare to handle severe volatility while investing in flashy US growth stocks recommended by these premium services. Otherwise if you have to absolutely invest in US stocks then just invest in a good US based index fund available in the Indian market and have a good sleep:)

2 Likes

gurufocus, seeking alpha, motley fool are some options

I second this. Check out the price chart of Upstart holding for example.

Sharing few noteworthy points for those considering investing abroad:

(1) For non residents (alien citizen) your portfolio is liable to 40% estate tax once it crosses 60k in investments. Imagine handing over a good chunk of money to IRS vs your family should something happen.

(2) unless you are from a country which has a tax treaty with us, foreign investments have 30% withholding tax (aka dividends). There is chance if you are investing in Ireland based etfs, you can get 15% withholding tax.

(3) the foreign exchange losses on transfer plus brokerage fees will eat up any gains you think you make by having USD vs inr. Only recently interactive brokers waived off the inactivity fees.

(4). Compliance headache while filing ITR.
Make sure you engage a competent professional to help. Please donā€™t get swayed by the new age discount broker apps promising you investment opportunity in us stocks.

Note; this isnā€™t meant to discourage folks from investing abroad or diversifying their portfolio but please be cognisant of above and realise that itā€™s worthwhile if you beat the benchmark and can afford this.

Personally I do invest via interactive brokers and maintain a portfolio but aware of the risks and pitfalls.

4 Likes

is there any way to get around the 40% estate tax? This seems to be a major risk in investing in us equities

I have tried Motley Fool, 7investing and SeekingAlphaā€¦None of these are good enough. You are going to be overwhelmed by gazillion of recommendations. They do not help in reducing noise building a stable long term portfolio.

I have been looking for a good PMS, but so far no success. Do share any recommendation should you know someone.

1 Like