Manappuram Finance

True. I didn’t want to edit it after making the post. The earnings crashed by close to 30% from Oct 20 to Oct 22; stock price crashed by close to 40% during the same period. ( I am referring to the values 18.96 and 13.87 for EPS during the periods and 166 & 103 for stock price )

P/E came down but not substantially as I stated before. So you can basically call it as a stock trading below its own ten year median P/E during both the periods.

The change was in P/B. In Q2 and Q3 of 2022-23 it traded at a low P/B value and at times going below 1.

When the video was shared the assumption was that the high P/B was justified because there are entry barriers in this business. Even while agreeing that gold focused players are here for the long term and not everyone can scale this up , it is also true that many are opportunistically getting into this business affecting the margins and business growth at least for a short period.

So for such a business which goes through these cycles P/B alone could be a good reference. When it is trading at high P/B chances are that the market is reflecting the high ROEs and RoAs . But the high returns are attracting many opportunistic players into the business . When it is trading at low P/B those opportunistic players have already got in bringing down the returns . Now the returns are no longer attractive so that only focused long term players continue. The cycle repeats as non gold NBFCs/ banks etc get out of it.

So what about the low P/E? Where does it fit in? I think the easiest way to think about this is that the ratio of P/B and P/E , which is RoE , should go through a cycle if you believe that the business shows a cyclic nature - even if they are short cycles. If you believe that there are strong entry barriers then the returns or the ratio of P/B to P/E should improve or remain stable.

I am thinking this afresh so please don’t mind any contradictions with the previous post. Also I am thinking as I am writing this so the arguments may have holes. I am trying to think about what he was referring to a low P/E and high P/B scenarios. Let’s think about the truck business which had a book value of 2000 Rs and providing a return of 500 Rs. If it is trading at 2000 Rs then the return is 25% which is high. So for the sake of simplicity let’s assume that the market is pricing it at 4000 Rs and the earnings yield if you buy the stock now is only 12.5% . The P/E is 8 now. If the owner deploys another 2000 rs that gives zero returns then the P/E is still at 8 but price to book has become an attractive 1 now. So the essence of his message, I believe , was that you shouldn’t be looking at the high P/B negatively. You shouldn’t if you believe that entry barriers are strong. But if they are not strong then many players will enter this business bringing down the returns and the stock price would react to that.

Now something else.

Right now the projections on gold loan portfolio seems positive. But my question is how do you see the non gold loan portfolio. If I remember right only about 50% AUM is gold loan now. How good you think are their non gold loan portfolio? It is not the secured kind as referred in the video. In fact when we say that non gold NBFCs and banks may not do well since they are not focused , the same should also be true for gold focused players entering into other business. Will they lose the advantage they had on as a gold focused player or the present stock price take care all of that?

1 Like

I think its all about perception. When banks were aggressive in gold loans then general perception is that manappuram is well placed then muthhoot due to diversification of business. And now when banks are not very much interested in gold loan then perception is becoming that Asirvad can make the business of manappuram quite risker.

There are things known and there are things unknown and in between are the doors of perception.

Holding and biased from 89 levels

3 Likes

MANAPPURAM FINANCE

Concall - Q1FY25

GOLD LOAN

But the demand has gone up. Our average ticket size remains around INR70,000 to INR75,000. From that class of customers, the demand started coming in. The ban on competition, I don’t think the effect is significant. Because even if it is there, it is getting distributed to so many players. And many of these are going to banks. Basically, the customer requirement has gone up. The demand for working capital, etcetera has gone up.

GUIDANCE - 15% this year. There will be growth in the number of customers also.

Gold Loan AUM has increased mainly because of demand increasing and their total live customers have increased…

During the quarter, we were able to add 4.21 lakh new customers and the number of outstanding customers has gone up to 24.5 lakhs from 23.76 lakhs

Online gold loan book stands at 70% of total AUM.

The gold loan AUM stands at INR23,647 crores, up by 9.11% Q-on-Q and 14.8% Y-o-Y.

MFI

For Asirvad, our Microfinance subsidiary, the AUM stands at INR12,310 crores, including gold loan AUM of INR1,016 crores;

The second thing, the gold loan also is coming to around 10% of the portfolio where you cannot expect, because that’s why the regulation also has facilitated the non-gold lending that has been enhanced from 15% to 25%. So, we have 520 branches as disclosed earlier.

Borrowing cost, at this stage, it is continuing at a similar level only. So, I think we are also expecting rate reduction, let us see, I think in September.

Other sectors

Most of them are secured .

House growing well. - Gnpas are a bit higher than other affordable housing companies….

Vehicle finance is also growing very well.

MSMe Gnpas have increased but the management is confident and a very small portion is unsecured.

My views on the Concall and the company

Management thinks that everything is related to heat waves, farmer loan waivers and elections and productivity loss.

Could be that the secured part of the portfolio may recover in the coming months.

I am more concerned about the MFI sector -

Many players in the MFI sector are talking about provisions and credit costs increasing and over leveraging in the industry.
On the other hand, the management did not say anything about this as there is an IPO which is on the way. They did not accept that there is over leveraging in the MFI industry only accepted that some states have problems.
Arman has been guiding for higher Credit costs for 2-3Q and even other MFI people(ujjivan,etc) are now accepting the same.

The management seemed optimistic about recovery in the MFI sector. .

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 FY24 Q1
MFI
AUM 9310 10088 10685 10938 10938 11235
Customers 0.339 0.36 0.378 0.391 0.391 0.388
AUM/Customer 27463.12684 28022.22222 28267.19577 27974.42455 27974.42455 28956.18557
GNPA 2.9 3 2.8 3.7 3.7 3
NNPA 1.3 1.4 1.3 1.7 1.7 1.4

Could be that Manappuram is resorting to top up loans as their AUM has increased and MFI customers have gone down and their GNPA has also reduced.

On the other hand there are not many MFI lenders whose GNPAs Have reduced.

Pros

They have a 8-9% gold loan AUM in ashirwad which will help them.

No state has more than 10% and no district has more than 1%.

Gnpas have reduced but i am not sure how to read this as it could be cause of top up loans.

The Company is cheap on a P/E basis and has the Gold Loan Portfolio which is a very high yielding product with NO Credit Costs.

I am a bit confused on whether the MFI business will bite manappuram in the back.
Where as I am very interested in the Gold(as growth has just come back) and other Lending Products(Growing very fast)

Everyone please feel free add your views on the business.
@maheshkumar - you have been tracking this business very well for quite sometime.

Disc - Invested.
Sold Some shares Recently…

10 Likes

Technical guys are happy buying stocks on breakouts and happy making 10% to 20% on a breakout.

The problem with some of the poor investors like me is, they don’t give weightage to price movement of a stock much on daily basis , or even in some cases for yearly basis as well, as long as company’s earnings and valuation give the comfort.

It’s not been a value creater for past few years, but not been a value destroyer. One could argue about the opportunity cost etc.

But we know sometimes stock makes up for lost decade in a month or a quarter.

For a foolish investor like me, a secured loan book, growing north of 20-30% YOY usually, being offered at valuation of less than 10 times earning and almost at book value . If that’s not the bargain or a place to hide, I don’t know what is.

I could be wrong, we all have been wrong at some point in time. But I’m comfortable untill I don’t see earnings disappointing.

20 Likes

How many lenders make 20% ROE on 3x leverage? Dividend payout for both Muthoot and Manappuram has been 25-30% for last decade. These companies are cash machines tbh. True that there is cyclicality in gold prices but -

1. GL tenures are very short for gold prices to meaningfully affect the asset quality.
  2. LTV is 60-70% of total collateral. If gold prices fall by 30-40%, company may lose principal but what are the base rates?

On why not Muthoot over Manappuram? A 20% ROE business bought at 4x book earns 5% yield. Similar business bought at 2x book will earn 10% yield. While Muthoot historically has superior network, better profitability, at the end of the day gold lending is a cyclical business susceptible to competition and regulatory risk. Both are great brands but at 3x book, its not as attractive. I would prefer to buy at book value or below.

Edit: I was intending to reply to @ashutosh37 , replied to @Riyansh2112 instead. Sorry about that.

8 Likes

It’s fascinating to observe how people’s perspectives on book value vary. When the book value was less than 1, many argued that the business was unsustainable. Now that the book value has risen above 1, some feels it’s bit expensive. Meanwhile, Manappuram continues to grow steadily at a long-term average rate of 15-20%, with its price-to-earnings ratio consistently remaining below 10 as it keeps growing more than the price movement

Cyclicality tends to balance out over time, often leading to significant growth following periods of flat performance. The long-term upward trend in gold prices provides an additional boost to growth. Inflation also contributes to this growth. As a developing country, India will continue to have a strong demand for money, and it will take decades for India to reach the status of a developed nation when growth may slow ( but even in developed nations microfinance sector is growing )

These differing perspectives are what keep the market dynamic, ensuring that at any given time, there are always both buyers and sellers actively trading.

———
Typically, when a business trades below its book value, it’s often due to some underlying issues the company is facing, leading people to wait for clarity and resolution before investing. However, once the situation improves and clarity emerges, the stock often becomes more expensive. If you buy at a price below book value and the issue remains unresolved, the price may drop further, making it a risky move. Therefore, it’s rarely a guaranteed win. Luck plays a significant role when investing in a company dealing with multiple challenges—if the issues are resolved, it can result in substantial returns.

——-
Anything can happen but current valuation ( single digit pe and double-digit growth ) seems paradoxical to me
And I am accumuling it at regular intervals )

9 Likes

Over the past 8 to 10 years, Manappuram has proven to be a reliable asset for wealth generation, consistently rewarding its investors with dividends that have seen an increase over time. From dividends of less than 25 Paisa per share to now 1 per share, alongside a stock price that has multiplied sixfold from the 30s to present, plus dividends, it’s clear that Manappuram has provided numerous opportunities for long-term investors at various price points such as 60s, 80s, 120s, 170s. With anticipated Federal rate cuts potentially boosting gold prices, and the prospect of gold reaching 10K INR per gram in the next 3 to 5 years, Manappuram appears to remain an attractive investment for the coming 15 to 18 months. Any dip in its share price should be seen as a chance to invest more.

5 Likes