Laurus Labs - Can Business Transform to Next Level?

Key points from today’s con-call on Richcore acquisition

1. Rationale for acquisition: Laurus mainly a chemistry based company , doesn’t have expertise in Biologics space. This will help them close the gap.

2. Opportunity areas
    • Broadly 3 areas: Biotech, enzymes and recombinants (CDMO)
    • Of which, biotech – opportunities are relatively limited. Difficulty in scaling up
    • CDMO will constitute large part of business followed by enzymes. Capacity till Mar 21 is already sold to customers.

3. Demand
    Huge demand for cell culture ingredients, recombinants. Gestation period to acquire scale in this space will reduce.

4. Customer base: No overlap of customers between Laurus and Rich core

5. Competition enjoying low cost advantage –
    • Cost driven risk is there to some extent in enzymes space - where having low cost is critical.
    • But CDMO - very technical competence driven rather than cost-driven. So insulated from cost-driven risk in CDMO.

6. Plants
    • 2nd plant in Tumkur. Capacity will be approx. 10x of 1st plant.
    • 50 crores of CAPEX. Expectation of revenue from 2nd plant: about 90 to 100 cr .
    • Have customers for this plant. Majority of revenue from export

7. Current revenue of 60 crore, equal split between Biotech, enzymes and CDMO. Post commissioning of plant, higher contribution will come from CDMO.

8. Valuations:
    • Existing investors wanted early exit and had been invested since 200.
    • The founding members of the company will continue to run the company. They have the expertise in the field (Biologics)

21 Likes

Brilliant coverage by Bloomberg. I like the bold statement from Mr. Chava " They (RichCore) realize their dreams by joining with us "

Link to understand more about Richcore and their promoters

One more

My wife is a scientist in Cell and Gene Therapy

Chemistry , Biology and Medicine related topics are always goes above my head, excuse me if I am unable to convey.

In cell culture to grow cells we need to give food to them, the food is given to them is serum , this serum is basically drawn from animal blood

Now the regulators are asking organisations switch from these animal based products to non animal based products, that is where Richcore expertise is.

These are very very expensive products , non bovine serums are even more expensive.

45 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

Dolat_Capital_Laurus_Labs_Company_Update.pdf (1.7 MB)

15 Likes

Some background on the promoter.

Source - Matrix Labs 2004 annual report.

4 Likes

Excellent analysis.

Only 1 point I could say was not logical. On Page 13, report mentions " Company had mentioned 25% of capacity utilization. Report states Sales from FDF business was 282 m in Q4 FY19. That will make peak sales of 100 Cr per quarter"

Should not focus so much on face value of words. The concall must have happened in May after Q4 results which was almost near Q1 end. Q1 FDF sales were 106 cr. So I would rather assume peak sales of 400 Cr per quarter from the statement. With brownfield capex, it can be higher number. Q2 FY21 FDF sales was 452 cr.

This point has been stressed upon multiple times on 100 Cr peak sales estimate which I feel is wrong and Q2 FY21 FDF sales of 452cr doesn’t look huge with brownfield expansion into consideration.

We need to think and find answers to some other questions raised which all look valid.

10 Likes

Laurus Coverage MOSL.pdf (661.8 KB)

Please bare with me if the content is boring, the more we (I) read the easier it will be reading an article or report to understand things which is new to you ( Me)

Pharmaceutical Fermentation
Depending on the application, the term fermentation can have a number of meanings. In a physiological sense, fermentation refers to a process that produces energy by breaking down energy rich compounds under anaerobic conditions. In a biotechnological context, however, this term is used in a much broader sense; thus, fermentation describes a process in which micro-organisms that are cultured on a large-scale under aerobic or anaerobic conditions convert a substrate into a useful product.

FDF - Finished Dosage Forms
API - Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
CDMO - Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization
CRAMS - Contract Research and Manufacturing Service
CRO - Contract Research Organization
CMO - Contract Manufacturing Organizations
NCE - New Chemical Entities

Custom Synthesis - means the exclusive synthesis of compounds on behalf of the customer, i.e., you can order a specific molecule that is only synthesized on your request on the scale, with the purity and with the specification or methods you require.
There is a big difference between the conditions used for small-scale custom synthesis of entirely new molecules and those used for standard multi ton per annum manufacturing

Compounds - Impure Substance || Has two or more kinds of atoms || Represented by chemical formula || Samllest particle is molecule

A customer asks a CDMO organisation (Laurus) to develop a compound based on the specific molecule ( this is confidential chemical bonding developed by the client )
For example Tenofovir ( Tenofovir disoproxil - Wikipedia )

Enzymes :

The word resistance goes parallel with antibiotics. Over the last few decades, the emergence of multidrug-resistant bacteria has forced researchers to move to a new path where certain enzymes or proteins produced either in the infected cell or inside the bacteria itself can be used as an alternative to traditional antibiotics.
Enzymes are highly targeted, rapidly killing microbial pathogens without inducing resistance phenotypes. Enzyme therapy not only is a safer alternative to antibiotics, but it will automatically lower the number of bacterial- or fungal-resistant strains. We do not anticipate total replacement of antibiotics by enzybiotics; instead they could be used in synergism with antibiotics.

In the modern world, enzymes are not just catalysts but also “tools” that modify the process based on the requirement. Enzymes hold key functions in the reactions where other alternatives fail to deliver the desired outputs. The main features of enzymes are their specificity, reusability, and non-formation of unwanted by-products that may contaminate the product as well as the environment. These features have made enzymes a popular choice in the biopharmaceutical sector. The increased use of enzymes is also attributed to high efficiency and low cost achieved by adapting modern techniques such as strain improvement, mutations, genetic engineering, recombinant DNA technology, etc. Additionally, the enzyme activity can be controlled by physical or chemical methods making them applicable to a wide range of processes. Enzyme application in various fields is possible due to the continuous research in biotechnology.

The way world is moving away from towards non fossil fuels to clean energy, Organic food similarly in the pharma / chemical sector there is strong shift towards reducing dependency on the toxic chemicals ( positive effects on the environment )

Here are the few examples

https://www.ecolab.com/offerings/automated-washing/enzymatic-detergent (Eco labs is the world leader in cleaning chemicals, most of the QSRs (Quick Service Restaurants ) like Mc Donald, Subway, Big Pharma companies uses environment friendly chemicals ( I don’t know this is one of the parameter in ESG { Environmental, social and corporate governance } investing

Probiotic - are live microorganisms promoted with claims that they provide health benefits when consumed, generally by improving or restoring the gut flora (Yakult is very popular in the western world, its type of Yogurt )

Richcore has similar capabilities (Vaccines manufacturing Biotech / Life Sciences )

Below are various types of Covid vaccines

mRNA vaccines contain material from the virus that causes COVID-19 that gives our cells instructions for how to make a harmless protein that is unique to the virus. After our cells make copies of the protein, they destroy the genetic material from the vaccine. Our bodies recognize that the protein should not be there and build T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight the virus that causes COVID-19 if we are infected in the future.

Protein sub unit vaccines include harmless pieces (proteins) of the virus that cause COVID-19 instead of the entire germ. Once vaccinated, our immune system recognizes that the proteins don’t belong in the body and begins making T-lymphocytes and antibodies. If we are ever infected in the future, memory cells will recognize and fight the virus.

Vector vaccines contain a weakened version of a live virus—a different virus than the one that causes COVID-19—that has genetic material from the virus that causes COVID-19 inserted in it (this is called a viral vector). Once the viral vector is inside our cells, the genetic material gives cells instructions to make a protein that is unique to the virus that causes COVID-19. Using these instructions, our cells make copies of the protein. This prompts our bodies to build T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight that virus if we are infected in the future.

I have gone through the earlier coverage from Dolat Capital - it is good scrutinize the numbers, but end of the day it is not always about numbers, numbers and numbers. Quality of the management, product portfolio, is it in Niche market segment, unlike other industry this type of industry (the nearest comparison is IT where assets are peoples and their expertise) need human resources with solid educational and research background. I am glad to see MOSL report covered some functional aspects of the company. If anyone disagree with this part feel free to say (send me a PM) I will delete this part.

Let us learn together.

24 Likes

some very good and valid observations in the presentation. there are plausible explanations. probably management can enlighten more.

some views:

cash management policy changed after ipo - probably the ipo funds were retained in the CC/OD account (maybe partially) and since the account is a circulating account with regular debits/credits, the situation just continued. also, we are seeing the position as at balance sheet date. maybe in the interim periods, cash balances could be higher. but yes, this is aggressive treasury management. would be good to get the management’s views on this.

WC facility usage - have gone through ratings reports of last 3 years and average yearly utilisation level was stated at 90% as per aug18 report (ind ra), 80% as per jun19 report (care) and 50% as per jun20 report (care). the trend is declining, inspite of the scale at which the company has grown over the last 2-3 years…one slide in the presentation also indicates similar trend. so wc intensity was indeed higher earlier and has come down. remains to be seen how much this sustains, since it is a moving figure.

debt levels - in q2 concal mgmt did say that all expansions will be funded by internal accruals. and in subsequent tv interviews they said it would mainly from internal accruals and some debt. so some inconsistency is there.

about capex guidance - very good work to have collated statements and facts over different periods of time. there may have been occasions where management has not been clear about their capex plans, and changed them etc. which are also valid. just that, a lot of things have evolved, and company is trying to evolve itself with the changed circumstances. so whether one gives benefit of doubt for that is upto individual.

FDF related - again great efforts to check for consistency in statements. and the FDF realisations / revenues indeed show great jump compared to what they have said in the past. this is a great point to clarify from the management.

about historical numbers - one has to really study what all the company has done since 2015-16 to really understand their evolution. will share a 2017 kotak report (their calls have been sell or reduce, so no bias there) which gives very good historical perspective and better understanding of where the co was and where it is now and the journey.

[Kotak] 4Jul17_Laurus Labs.pdf (791.7 KB)

The recent bloomberg interview on talking point shared above was also very good. the host really asked some pointed questions and got management to keep clarifying till it was clear. a must listen for those interested in the company.

finally, kudos to dolat for the good work. hope we are able to find answers we seek.

14 Likes

LAURUS LABS
Release of pledge shares by promoter (Satyanarayana Chava) on 10.12.2020.

5 Likes

Rich core can fit into the attached report on future disruptions in food and agriculture. Things are going to change in the next decade not in next century. Very interesting read. I enjoyed the reading cover to cover, the content is too good to skim, instead of writing abstract thought to share. Hope all of you read and share your thoughts.

In the west vegan and plant based meat are the hot items in the QSR menus.

WEF_Top_10_Emerging_Technologies_2020.pdf (5.1 MB)

Rethinking Food and Agriculture 2020-2030_Report.pdf (6.8 MB)

16 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJdz-PYEMQ8
Good summary of Richcore Acquisition.

Discl - invested.

15 Likes

From twitter mosl conference

11 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for this but where did you get it from. It seems a bit outdated. Referring to events that should have happened in 2015 and 2018.

1 Like

The Wholly-owned Subsidiary of the Company i.e. M/s. Laurus
Synthesis Private Limited has incorporated a Wholly-Owned Subsidiary under name and style of M/s. LAURUS INGREDIENTS PRIVATE LIMITED with effect from January 09, 2021 for undertaking Ingredients Business and also for setting up Greenfield projects for new Synthesis Business.
The new entity i.e. Laurus Ingredients Private Limited shall be a stepdown subsidiary for Laurus Labs Limited.

9 Likes

“Another influence on M&A will be the urge to secure supply chains while reducing manufacturing dependence on China and India, says Rahul Saikia, head of Global Strategy at Rising Pharmaceuticals”

Is this a reason to worry? Are there other partners for Laurus in the US market?

2 Likes

ViiV Healthcare receives EU Marketing Authorisation for the first-ever dispersible-tablet formulation of dolutegravir, Tivicay, a treatment for children living with HIV in Europe

Laurus has tie up with Viiv (AR 19-20 p25 )

Courtesy : Dr Punit Bansal

13 Likes

Courtesy : Omakara Capital / Abhishek Singhal

14 Likes

Q3 SHP analysis

• Mutual Funds sold 0.9% (Q3 2.41% vs Q2 3.31%)
  • FIIs sold 0.82% (Q3 19.92% vs Q2 20.74%)
  • Max Life Insurance has sold entire stake of 1.11%
  • Promoter stake down by 3.49% (Q3 28.73% vs Q2 32.12%) - mainly due to few promoters getting reclassified as public
  • Retail (above 2 lacs) has increased 3.74% (Q3 15.69% vs Q2 11.95%) - reason above reclassification
  • Retail (upto 2lacs) stake up 18.09% vs 15.89% - (63% increase in absolute nos driven by 79k new investors joining the race)
10 Likes