KRBL- The King of Basmati rice

Thanks! Valuations are definitely interesting. What do you make of the corrupt auditor allegations?

This was in the wake of an investigation into a former KRBL director Gautam Khaitan. He is alleged to be a part of the bribery scandal in the purchase of helicopters from Agusta Westland.

Further, as per SundayGaurdianlive.com, the Enforcement Directorate believes KRBL’s wholly owned subsidiary (incorporated in 2006, and sold to promoter’s nephews), KRBL Rawasi Al Khaleej General Trading (RAKGT) played a role in the entire money laundering exercise.

It received a massive sum of Rs 11 billion from various other companies which was meant to be paid as a bribe. The company has denied this charge.

The auditors of KRBL are the Bindal Brothers (Vinod Bindal and Sanjeev Bindal).

Back in 2014, the CBI restrained them from working with the government and its officials. The CBI suspects they manipulate contracts and government functioning.

Unfortunately, not many people know about the history of auditors of KRBL. And when things like this come out in to the open… the situation looks even worse.

3 Likes

I am not saying they did wrong or fraud. But how a retail investor knows. I am trying put a view point where a retail investor can protect himself.

It take ages to prove someone guilty, especially financial fraud, also look at the price action chart (picture) not only last month, last 3 years:

We as retail investors are last to know what actually happened.

So better suspect and get out first and observe from sidelines than sorry at later stages, especially if u are having concentrated portfolio position.

Refer below:PC Jewellers - #334 by MHS

3 Likes
  1. ED case. (We discused lot abt it so i am not going in any details whole story is available on the thred)

2. Auditors history and image.

3. Income tax dept. Case
    Some Retail investors in forum giving cleanchit for all 3 points discussed above. And still discussing how interesting the business is!

4. Why any mutual fund , PE , or any reputed investor not finding this pricing/business model interesting?
    Does those people are not seeing how valiable this business could be?

5. What makes Mr.goels pledge holder to sell the stocks when he had enough holding to pledge further if price goes down.

Disc. Not invested

3 Likes

Noted.

These numbers are from 2018-19 Consolidated Cash Flow statement.

It shows 22399 of increase in Inventory, and also 14813 increase in Trade Receivables. (The Cash situation got balanced by Trade Payables, else it’d hv been looking really bad, hence it is no comfort). The Trade Receivables situation must find relief.

So lets look at the three quarters that follow… and see if the WC scene:

It only gives the Inventory numbers which has been a positive for all the three quarters:

Q1 7458
Q2 8322
Q3 3298

So its encouraging. However, our concern about Trade Receivables will be addressed only in the 2019-20 AR.

Thanks @rupaniamit
Read this report, it was comprehensive which lead me to look into KRBL. And I agree that this is a unique business model, hence not easy for competitors to get their heads around it. It is a moat indeed.

Finally, do you have anything to say regarding the Red Flags that have been raised about the promoters? This seems to be real concern, because of which even other things look dubious.

1 Like

Sorry for the late response. It was my observation and not fact also, it was in the bay area, california not in US overall.

1 Like

First of all, it’s good to see a lot of people with skeptical lenses with all good questions probing for critical thinking. Sharing my opinions below. Sorry for long post but its long since I had to share my take on so many issues that have been raised. Thank you for sharing these issues.

KRBL has appointed Walker Chandiok &Co. as statutory auditor from July 24, 2018. If Bindal Brothers and KRBL management jointly cooked books, then that is a big problem. I didn’t find anything specifically to KRBL. If you find anything specifically that they did while being auditors at KRBL, please share it here with everyone.

Nothing wrong with what you are saying. We all have to protect our capital in the best possible manner. We all have different styles of investment and we need to invest in a way that allows us to sleep peacefully in the night. I call it sleep-adjusted-returns.

If you were just going to go by price action, you would have sold off most of your mid-cap & small-cap holdings post carnage in them after Jan 2018 since most were down > 50%. Market painted most small and mid cap businesses with same brush, but not all businesses had inherent ethical issues. Avanti fell 75% and BRL fell 55% from their 2018 peak. But Avanti Feeds jumped 3x to 777 from lows of 250 levels. Bharat Rasayan jumed 2.5 times from lows of 3500. Avanti & BRL are not fraud companies but you may stamp them as suspect managements by the type of price action that happened. You may also stamp Piramal Enterprise as fraud by the way their prices have fallen from 3000 to current levels. I can give you many such examples where a lot of good quality small and mid caps rallied and gave handsome return from Oct-Jan time period. But I hope you get my point. In stock markets, narratives change swiftly with falling and rising prices.

Bottom-line: I just don’t look at price action to make my judgement. And I don’t completely ignore it either. During extreme reactions on either side of the pendulum - nothing matters but the sentiment and emotions of the market participants. I have come to realize that it’s best to combine both fundamental and technical knowledge to act rationally in any market situation.

On 17th Jan 2020, the Appellate Tribunal has restored the possession in favor of the campnay, however, such attachment will continue till the conclusion of the matter. Matter at stake is 15cr. For me restoration of possession to the company is big victory. Rest you can make your judgements.

I have covered this above.

They won the case and big contingent liability of ~2000cr is behind them. I don’t understand what your point of concern is.

Kotak, Reliance, Anil Kumar Goel, were invested till end of Dec 2019. I know Vallum Capital was also invested and regularly attends earnings con-calls. We will see if that changes with Mar 2020 shareholding pattern. But I don’t take comfort by who is holding and who is not holding. I’d do my homework and have enough conviction in the business that I have bought that other’s actions don’t bother me at all.

I don’t think anyone else other than Mr. Goel can provide an answer to your question. If anyone else give you an answer that would be nothing but speculation.

Re: receivables management has shared in con-calls that for domestic 80% of payments come in 4 days (after cutting 1.5% cash discount). And then distributors pay in 30 days if they don’t pay in 4 days. Anything over 30 days, they have to pay 18% interest. They have not had any bad debts so far. Exports is done only against LCs. No credit in exports. For me receivables is not a point of concern.

Disc: invested and my views will be biased.

14 Likes

I have learnt one thing price-volume action never lie and it’s very clear that stock is in big downtrend & it’s keep making new low… Same thing happened with Ibull, Yes, Indusnd, Prakash etc etc One more thing whenever stock price falls, you will see promoter on CNBC TV 18 (Not a good sign). Why to break your head when in current situation good companies r available at reasonable price and with good dividend yield…Best of luck !

2 Likes

The big problem about this stock is that the ED firmly believes that KRBL facilitated the bribe on behalf of one of the companies involved in the bribery scandal.That is a serious allegation would like to know your detailed views on that.This is a serious allegation by a independent investigation agency.Why does the ED use such strong language?

For me this is the only issue that is stopping me from buying this stock as the Income tax matter has been settled in the company’s favour.

I had thought the management was honest and was about to invest when this ED matter came to light.

"In a related development, the alleged involvement of rice exporting company KRBL in the VVIP chopper deal has again come under the scanner after statements of approver Rajiv Saxena and Sushen Mohan Gupta were recorded.

According to a charge sheet filed by the ED last year, the “proceeds of crime” were laundered through a former KRBL subsidiary, Rawasi Al Khaleej General Trading."

Read more at:

@rupaniamit

Please reread my post I never said KRBL did wrong or fraud- What i am trying to say is, if they are, being retail investor I will be the last to know.

You have to see the price action with news/allegations over a period of time not the usual market corrections. No company losses 80% value just like that.

All the best for your investment.

@Gothamcapital - The article that you have shared in your post was brought up in July 2019 on this thread. Please read all the posts in this thread between 8th July to 16th July of 2019 and you may find answers to most of your questions. I have shared my views on all the issues during July 2019. Thanks.

I have spent a lot of time researching this stock.Frankly speaking i find the management honest.The income tax authorities have not been able to extract a penny despite making claims for 2000 crore,but the ED making very strong allegations was the only thing that made me reconsider.

The stock is available at rock bottom valuations.It is quoting at 6.5 pe.The rest of the basmati brands have poor financial conditions like LT foods and kohinoor.Given the growth runway ahead the company should trade at multiples of atleast cera or ttk prestige etc.

I have two questions,

1)The post KRBL- The King of Basmati rice
shows that there has been money flowing from AgustaWestland to one of the subs of KRBL.According to you ,why did a rice miller receive money from a defence contractor?I mean as to how you justify such an interaction between two unrelated entities, for you to invest confidently in this stock without losing sleep.What according to you does agusta get ,according to you for the payment it has made?

2)The second question is from the post KRBL- The King of Basmati rice ,where it is clearly mentioned that ‘the top executives of KRBL discussed the dealings of Gautam khaitan with M/s KRBL and disclosed his offer for commission amounting to Rs 15 crore without providing any services’.When this offer was made ,didn’t it arouse the suspicion of the management?What do you make of this?

I have seen that you replied to the first post,but my quesion here is that why did agusta route money to them in such shady manner in the first place?The company blames Mr Khaitan,but he was on the post of a independent director without any executive powers.

Finally while the Jan 2020 verdict does give the company relief,the matter is not yet settled completely.

This is my humble opinion and i am not a legal expert.I would be very glad if you can give me an explanation as to why agusta sent money to RAKGT.While i agree that entries in a ledger from 10 years back would be quite difficult to explain,it is still suspicious that such a transaction happened in the first place.

Hi @Gothamcapital,

I suggest you read Delhi High Court’s judgement 3-4 times to get better grasp of the details of this case. It will take you some time to read that judgement, but I promise you that it will be worth for your time. I am not sure if conviction in KRBL can be built without reading that judgement document.

I feel I have already provided answers in my post on 12th July 2019 for questions that you have posted. But still I will reply it again here:

That post shows flow chart of “allegedly” money flowing from Augusta to RAKGT. But that is just allegation and ED wasn’t able to prove to the court that money actually flowed from Augusta to RAKGT. ED has not been able to ascertain the exact nature of this transaction (money received by RAKTG from petitioner) per the judgement which they were still investigating. ED was not able to explain to the court that on what basis petitioner is recipient of proceeds of crime.

Again - same thing - ED didn’t provide any proof that KRBL was involved to pass Rs. 15cr to Mr. Khaitan. ED can put anything in the charge-sheet, but they need to also back it up by proving it. Appellate Tribunal has restored the possession of property back to KRBL which is a big victory for KRBL and shows enough initial signs of innocence to me. Final ED judgement will come in 4-5 years or it can take even longer. Can it be an overhang for 4-5 years? Matter at stake is 15cr. I will let individuals decide on this.

What one is forgetting is that KRBL promoters have made creeping acquisitions of ~15.12lac shares at average price of Rs. 252.73 between 03/12/2019 to 12/03/2020. They have bought about 0.64% stake from open market at cost of Rs. 38.22 cr. This is BIG amount. They were acquiring shares even before they restored possession of property and even before IT tax issue was solved. This gives enough indication to me, but I am not sure about others.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Amit,

I had some observations to your remarks earlier. I think everyone in the forum will benefit from your understanding of the business and insights.

1. The image below shows that inventory days have been above average which is making the cash conversion cycle slower with more than 300 days. This does not seem ideal to me as the avg for last 10 years is around 270 and cash conversion cycle for recent years has been 20% higher than avg which tells me that either KRBL is not able to convert inventory into sales efficiently or they are anticipating higher demand.

1.2 The below image was taken from your presentation and you can see that change is inventory is not necessarily highest when the avg paddy cost are lowest. Check year 2014 where management spent 430 crore on additional inventory when prices were 38 Rs/kg. Similary in 2019.

The avg paddy price has been 28 so I would expect management to not add more inventory at higher prices unless they see substantial demand.

1.3 The reason I dont see demand is that inventory turnover is at all time low. I can understand if management is trying to procure the low cost paddy for future demand but that doesnt seem to be the case, they seem to have been buying paddy at above avg rates where as they are not able to make the necessary sale to efficiently manage that inventory.

1. While I agree that additional working capital is helping the business grow, practically KRBL wouldnt be able to stop adding more inventory year on year until they become of huge scale after which it would be difficult to grow their sales and manage inventory of say 7000 crs with sales around 8,000-9,000 cr. in which case, I would assume that I will be hardly getting any free cash flows as an owner for say 50-100 cr every year for next 10 years and then maybe they start generating free cash flows of 800-900 crs assuming growth will be around 10% for next 10 years and 1% after.

I feel that even then, management wouldnt stop growing the business as they would get into different sectors as they did with renewable enegery in 2012-2017. So the 800 cr of fcf that might come out could still be questionable.

Would you agree with this picture?

(Note - I read through your understanding of additional working capital being part of the owner’s earnings but while I think it does help the business grow, I as an owner do not see visibility to get my hands on that cashflow as a shareholder for a very long time)

While current valuation is still cheaper than the picture painted above, my question is, how else would you value such business other than DCF?

What does your scenario for future cashflows look like?

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

3 Likes

I was working on finding free cash flows for KRBL and it seems like KRBL on avg invests 65% of their profit back into inventory/working capital of core business for next year. During last 10 years, they had net profit of 2654 cr out of which only 932 crores were generated as FCF. Almost 700 cr were utilized in renewable energy business. The investment in energy business has stopped. Last 3 years avg CFO is 400 which gives 140 cr of fcf moving forward if we assume 35%. This is a cyclical business so there wont be steady growth in fcf however, 10% growth can be assumed similar to sales growth.

Assuming 150 Cr fcf growing at 10% gives me fair value of 3600 Cr which is below current CMP. Thoughts?

Narration 3/31/2010 3/31/2011 3/31/2012 3/31/2013 3/31/2014 3/31/2015 3/31/2016 3/31/2017 3/31/2018 3/31/2019 10 year total
Sales 1573 1538 1602 2051 2882 3143 3360 3145 3246 4120
Net profit 124.55 120.33 73.03 129.86 255.11 321.72 293.14 399.4 434.44 503.02 2654.6
Cash from Operating Activity 207.15 -171.45 144.97 189.09 -488.51 336.54 510.31 258.33 60.76 -114.36 932.83
Change of inventory 427 29 23 430 170 -64 224 443 667 35%
2 Likes

The fcf on this company is very tricky…

If you look at the Sep 19 balance sheet,the working capital have fallen by a 1000 crore from mar 2019 to sep 2019 ,which means the cash flows can be much higher this year.If we had a look at september numbers instead of march,people would probably have concluded that the fcf this year is about 1000 crore more than the profit.If we would look at it like that and notice that the company is hardly buying any fixed assets,the average fcf would be around 475 crore a year.When the period of reporting leads to such fluctuations,we may have to look at some other valuation parameters.

A lot depends on the growth assumed.The company has quadrupled its sales in the past 12 years and the growth potential is quite huge(basically the untapped basmati market of the world).Many have pointed out that this is actually a FMCG company and should be valued as such.Especially the market leader deserves a higher multiple.What multiple is anyone’s guess.

The other thing to note here is that even though the inventory dropped by a 1000 crore the sales have remained steady in june and sep quarters.

1 Like

Being in the same industry (Rice but non-basmati) Normally for Rice Processors, season of the most paddy arrival is from December to March. Hence majority of the arrivals and purchases will be upto the month of March. From then onwards on continuous basis stock gets converted to cash until next season.
Therefore if data can be analyzed assuming Jan to December financial year basis we can get a better picture about the cash flow position.
Even if KRBL has to maintain high inventory due to their 2 year old rice, the cycle for procurement and dispatches wont change. Only inventory position will change accordingly.

1 Like

Yes,i have been following chaman lal setia and they have said the same thing as well.Here is the latest interview from KRBL chairman.

He says at 4:29 that the inventory right now is about 2900 crore.Debt has gone up slightly from 250 to 450 crore.

1 Like

Coronovirus effect on the company: Atleast in south India.
Ground report in the traders section is that consumption of the Basmati has come down drastically.
Majority of the Basmati rice is used in Restaurants and in functions (Marriage, etc). Former is under lockdown and latter is getting postponed till 5-6 months. And in these times of uncertainty and cash flow constraint to people, Basmati may b itself classified as higher end goods to use in homes. Further even export business has come down in previous quarter. So need to watch the numbers for next 2 quarters and may b we can get a nice opportunity once again to invest at good price, if interested.

2 Likes

Well people are portraying a gloomy picture, but the company seem to have done alright in the 2008 recession,the sales went up 25 percent.Things may not be so bad and even if gdp growth suffers,the percapita income of indians and the rest of the world will fall to levels 2-3 years back,the revenue may still be large and given that the opm is 18 percent ,there is enough elasticity to absorb that impact.