ITC: "Will"(s) "Gold Flake" assist "Ashirwad" to win "Bingo!"?

Reality Show Big Boss (Kannada) being telecasted here and I am forced to see it because my wife is watching it. What catched my attention is the commercial break - it’s Hindustan Unilever throughout. Almost 80% of the Ad space is occupied by HUL and they are advertising each and every product - From Surf, Lux, Dove, pears, sunsilk, Domex, Lifebuoy, wheel to Kwality Ice Cream, Kissan, Lipton, glow & lovely to Newly launched Nature Protect. In the last 7 - 8 days I would have seen almost every products. It’s an assault! So much so that my wife brought me Horlicks Protein Plus inspired by Akshay Kumar!

So, I checked last few year’s Annual Report and found that on an average HUL is spending 12% of Sales on Advertisement and Promotion. I checked Nestle also who is spending about 6% and whereas ITC is Just spending 2% of sales on advertisements. Then, I excluded cigarette sales, Hotel Business, agri & paper business Sales and considered only Branded packaged foods, personal care, agarbatti matches, wheat & Spices etc sales - even then their spend on Advertisement and promotion came up to only 6%. I feel ITC should be far more aggressive here considering they have so many products and many of them have been newly launched whereas most of the HUL brands are well established.

20 Likes

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/odisha/2021/mar/13/odisha-government-clears-eightinvestment-proposals-worth-rs-1214-crore-2276086.html

In hospitality sector, two 5-star hotels have been approved in the city. While one has been proposed by ITC Ltd with an investment of Rs 141.14 crore at Dumduma

2 Likes
2 Likes

I thought ITC had announced no more new investment in hotel business and it will only work on franchise model. How much can we rely on management statements?

2 Likes

property in Bhubaneswar was always in plan .

How many such investments are already in plan? And is it not possible for the management to move to the franchise model for these plans?
When the management & shareholders agree to not put any extra money in Hotel business, isn’t it wrong to put such huge sums on the pretext of existing plans?

4 Likes

More and more launches

4 Likes

Sunfeast was advertised in the last IPL (DF and Sunfeast Bounce)…will be there during this IPL also…

Hi Panduranga, this is very good scuttlebutt.

ITC is Just spending 2% of sales on advertisements. Then, I excluded cigarette sales, Hotel Business, agri & paper business Sales and considered only Branded packaged foods, personal care, agarbatti matches, wheat & Spices etc sales - even then their spend on Advertisement and promotion came up to only 6%

From 2020 annual report, the contribution from FMCG is 12.8k crores and they’ve spent 980 crores on advertisements as a whole. Since the contribution from cigarettes would be negligible (zero ideally), we need the FMCG spends should be around 900 crores to get a rough estimate (compare that to HUL who spends 4800 crores on advertisements and promotions). ITC isn’t even spending 1/5th on ads compared to HUL but the revenue contribution for ITC’s FMCG is 1/3rd vs HUL. Statistically, ITC should spend more

Let’s dive further into individual product segments:
From total consumer spends of ~20k crores, ITC makes ~12.8k crores

• Aashirvad alone which contributes 30% to this, has a 28% market share and is growing at 15%+. Can spend more
  • Sunfeast can be a big brand for ITC in the future (they can replicate the strategy used by Marico with Saffola). Big opportunity to come up with new products and increase ad spends
  • Bingo too is doing well (in a duopoly with PepsiCo) and there’s a good possibility of introducing new products
  • Yippee is gaining market share (~25%) from Nestle in a big way but it is to be seen whether they can grow healthily on a higher base. Ads are a must in this segment
  • Additionally, I have no idea how ITC is unable to sell Fabelle which is a very good product but just not visible in any of the Kirana stores. Recently noticed in one of the nearby stores that a Fabelle chocolate display rack is used to keep Dairy Milk chocolates

ITCs total capital employed in the FMCG segment is around ~6600 crores and is currently making 12.8k crores in revenues with a meagre OPM of 4%. However, things have improved since March 2020 and the margins have touched 9.2% for Q3-FY21. Once ITC is able to make 10-12% sustainable margins in the FMCG segment, the ROCEs will start to touch 20-25% which seems to the key driver for re-rating

While most people say that ITCs profits have grown in double digits (like HUL), the stock price hasn’t grown, it’s completely justified since the incremental growth has come at a significantly lower ROCE as seen below. ROCE is down from 50% to 33% which is never comforting. Can’t see stock getting re-rated unless we see massive earnings growth or better profitability/efficiency metrics

Assuming 12% OPM, ITC can make ~1200 crores in net profits which is still around 8% of the profits from Cigarette segment. Even if ITC manages to 10x its profits by 2030 from the FMCG segment and keep the margins at 12%, it will still not reach 14.5k crores which is the contribution from Cigarette segments in 2020… Just give it a thought on how much capital needs to be employed in the FMCG segment to reach 12k crores profit. Now, with 85% payout and investing only 2k crores into the business, this is surely a big task to achieve. Lot of questions needs to be answered by the management; execution has been below-par which is a major reason for such big underperformance

Disc - ITC is one of my biggest holdings

36 Likes

I did an analysis of hotel business as reported in their year end segment numbers. I have taken direct assets less direct liabilities and PBIT as reported.

Hotels Segment Mar-08 Mar-09 Mar-10 Mar-11 Mar-12 Mar-13 Mar-14 Mar-15 Mar-16 Mar-17 Mar-18 Mar-19 Mar-20 CAGR
Assets- Liabilities 1865 2189 2520 2833 3385 4012 4225 4944 5106 5403 5945 6665 6733 10.4%
PBIT 410 316 231 283 294 149 146 52 61 116 145 185 27 -18.9%
as % of net assets 22% 14% 9% 10% 9% 4% 3% 1% 1% 2% 2% 3% 0%
No. of Hotels added 5 11 6 2 3 1 2 2

It is very clear that hotel division performance started deteriorating after FY12. Among the hotel additions, notable were Grand Chola in FY 13, Grand Bharat in FY15, ITC Srilanka in FY17, Grand Goa in FY19, Royal Bengal in FY20. Apparently these grand hotels have not yielded the desired results in either occupancy or profitability and have proven to be white elephants. Even though these hotels have fetched them awards for design, decor, F&B, etc., they have failed to generate a decent ROCE. By end-FY20, ITC was operating 109 hotels - out of which 32 or almost 30% were added post FY12. An amount of Rs 3348 cr was invested for these 32 hotels, while as on 31-3-12, 94 hotels were operational with an investment of Rs 3385 cr. You can work out the conclusions of ROCE yourself. (please note that after FY12, some franchise would have cancelled/ new ones added, so the maths of 94+32 would not work)

3 Likes

ITC’s cashflow comparison vs leading 11 companies.
My narrative with ITC is that am playing for its cigarette profit which is invested for FMCG growth. This is very well played in many companies like Nestle, Reliance, Tata etc.

Source: E A Sundaram You can't beat a crowd if you are a part of it the case for contrarian investing - YouTube (min 49 onwards)…

Disc: Invested and biased.

9 Likes
6 Likes

No smoke without fire, it is said. Lets wait and watch. In any case, demerger or not, ITC seems offers deep value at 2.5 lakh crore market cap. Matter of when and not if a rerating will happen.

1 Like

Hi,

Not Sure whether the story will see the light of the day or not.
However demerging the business into 3 entities will not be that beneficial as per my view.
As per the news the 3 entities are
ITC FMCG, Infotech & Hotel business.

Now it is apparent that all growth drivers are with FMCG business(FMCG Others,Agri,Paper & Packaging) and cigarette business will be part of this also which is the pain area now. And it will keep dragging the share performance.

And Hotel business & ITC Infotech not that value accretion business as of now.

If they would have demerged all 6 entities(Cigarette,FMCG Others,Hotels,Agri,Paper&packaging & Infotech) it will make more sense and will create more value for shareholders.

Thanks,
Deb

1 Like

ITC in all definitions is still a tobacco company. It’s FMCG products are still not as easily available as that of hul, dabur or nestle.

1. Unless govt. or BAT are forcing the demerger there is no benefit in this process for investors. Alternatively, it can be a consortium of activist investors forcing the push. FMCG is in growth mode but still very small in size. Additionally, other businesses like paper and Agri are still going to need cash to become cash cows of the future. The new management is also clueless about what to do with Infotech.

2. A lot of investors are also after the hotels business. Look at how listed peers like taj and Sinclairs are run. It’s not the business but the current management.

ROCE on ITC has gone down consistently since Mr. Puri took over. One can argue with demonetization, recession, gst or lockdown. If a powerhouse like ITC cannot grow when other largecaps are growing leaps and bounds, the management needs to go. The 85% dividend payout is a poor Band-Aid when the company is not the market leader.

Just my random rumbling.

3 Likes

I think the rumour was atleast consistent with the management’s current stance of not wanting to separate cigarette and FMCG others and also with the fact that they continue to plan and enter new categories.

1 Like

> However, barring the paper & packaging segment, the other 3 non-tobacco business segments (FMCG, agri and hotels) are still weak in terms of cash generation and therefore unlikely to support its growth requirements. Thus, ITC is likely to continue to use cash generated from its cigarette business to build and grow its non-tobacco businesses. Besides, there are synergy benefits, with agri and paper & packaging supporting the tobacco and non-to- bacco FMCG divisions. Thus there is no compelling reason to split the businesses into various companies, in our view.

– From a recent research report

4 Likes

We can expect ITC to up their ante in Advertising spends.
Source : LinkedIn
Invested.

10 Likes

Capital allocation – was never as bad as perceived; will get better from here on

Three things essentially decide at what rate a business compounds wealth for shareholders – 1) how much return you make on the existing business 2) what is the sustainability of that return 3) how you use that return (OCF) – re-invest profitably , redistribute, hoard cash, re-invest unprofitably (best to worst in the order listed). ITC always rated high on the first metric thanks to is monopolistic position in the cigarette business but rated poorly on the third metric as a bulk of the cash was being re-invested unprofitably in FMCG and hotels. That is changing for the better now.

From FY08-20, the cigarette + Agri + paper business generated a cumulative FCF of Rs930bn. Out of this, 6% or Rs60 bn was invested into hotels and 8% of Rs80bn was invested into the FMCG business. It should come as a surprise that only 15% of the FCF was indeed spent on FMCG plus hotels. Hotels infact, has taken just 6% of FCF and has unnecessarily drawn more than its share of criticism.

The reaming 80% of Rs750bn was paid out as cumulative dividends (average payout of 70%). ITC has hardly done any large ticket M&A. While less than ideal, ITC of the last 12 years already scores higher than companies such as GCPL which have paid out 30% of profits as dividends and invested more than 50% of FCF cash unproductively in far flung endeavors outside India.

What is changing going ahead? – the FMCG business was in a hyper investment stage and now is reaching scale with visible improvement in margins. Bulk of the capex here is behind and future capex can be funded with its own P&L. The FMCG business is thus changing to a cash additive (like all FMCG companies are) from being cash dilutive. Segments such apparel retailing which were loss making have been wound down – shrunk store count for Wills Lifestyle and sold John Players to Reliance.

In Hotels – ITC has acknowledged that capital has not be deployed productively. That said, they have built brands (ITC, Welcome, Fortune, Welcome Heritage) and have built in-house expertise in running luxury hotel chains. They are now pivoting to an ‘asset right’ model where they will enter management contracts with property owners and earn royalties on running the hotel chains. Simply put, they will get people like Chalet hotels to own the assets while they will play Marriott’s part. Bulk of the incremental room addition will happen via management contracts. This is a major change and means that hotels will no longer be a major cashflow drag for ITC.

What this means that 100% of cigarette business cashflows now can be paid out to shareholders. In that direction, ITC has increased its dividend payouts to 80-85% of profits from an average of 70% over the previous 10 years. At current price of 225, ITC’s FY22 dividend yield is 4.5% and FCF yield is 5.5%.

What I admire the most is a clear stated prudence on M&A. Sanjeev Puri has made it clear in media interviews that despite the large cash balance and annual accretion, ITC will be conservative in ‘paying up’ and only focus on small deals where they can acquire brands and substantially scale them up (like Savlon). The recent Sunrise Foods acquisition is a good example. There will nothing outside India and in unrelated categories outside of FMCG.

17 Likes