ITC: "Will"(s) "Gold Flake" assist "Ashirwad" to win "Bingo!"?

I would disagree with this observation. If we look at FMCG business Revenue grew from 5000 Cr to 19153 in the last 10 years and thats about 13 % CAGR. HUL grew by 8% while Britannia grew by 10 %. Thats an industry beating performance. Probably one will be disappointed by profit growth although margin improved from -4 % to 7% in the very snapshot that you have posted. But gestation was necessary for FMCG products especially at the scale ITC operates. I wrote about how HUL behaved during 1990s and how it margins went higher with scale & time here.

Although ITC may not reach the margins are HUL due to different product mix, better comparison is Britannia. Britain’s Margin ranges between 15 and 20 % ( probably based on wheat prices ). I do expect ITC to reach that margin range. In the last quarter ITC FMCG did 10 % margins. They aspire to increase margins by 100 bps every year. Interview posted above by Harsh.

I dont think anyone would say otherwise. Cigarettes dominate the profits and margins obviously due to the kind of business it’s in. Other sectors will never reach such margins for the same reasons.

True for profits but revenues of other sectors have been growing consistently.

Everyone acknowledges that and one should not underestimate the investors especially those who read ValuePickr. Market always prices for future and future prospects of ITC played a role in revaluations along with robust performance of Tobacco division.

11 Likes