IPO Review - Discussion until listing

Just now heard PayTM CEO defending his valuations post listing/price discovery by market. Prashant Nayar from CNBC was asking all pertinent questions but PayTM CEO was very condescending in his responses and was very defensive. It was comical and tragical at the same time to watch the drama being played out on CNBC. I hope it will send signals to all the startups about what not to do :roll_eyes:… It could be a turning point in the history of IPO market in India and it was long overdue considering the grotesque valuations all “new age” businesses.

4 Likes

Same happened with his discussions with Nikunj Dalmia.

Meanwhile

2 Likes

very rough listing for Paytm, but Vijay Shankar’s interview was not encouraging to its shareholders. CFO should’ve handled that questions much better

2 Likes

When told the truth about their UPI market share, Sharma was arrogant to accept it and says they’re the number 1 in Merchant payment market and math about their UPI share doesn’t make sense. Not a good way to start-off on the listing day after the stock got hammered.

5 Likes

Kamath from zerodha shared his thoughts on new age /tech IPOs, a good quick read to get a top down view, understanding risk and calibrated allocation is key, as we as need of an audit framework for measuring performance ( as traditional world measures dont apply here)

Timing of article and paytm fiasco could just be a coincidence or deliberate- never know, nonetheless intent seems genuine.

3 Likes

Macquarie’s Initiating coverage report on Paytm which purportedly caused today’s fall.

2 Likes

it is not this report…may be due to these points.

1. market participants destroyed the paytm just because of the attitude of the management during an interview may be on CNBC.

2. HNI got funding from NBFCs at higher interest rates. since it was listed at discount thats why they chose to exit the stock.

and here is the video

I didn’t applied for paytm ipo because I asked my self and my near and dear as how many of them are using paytm to transfer money, literally no one is using.i asked almost 50 members and its a tie between gpay and phonepe. I don’t know how will paytm propell its payment business. They are continuously losing the market share in payments and the ceo is arrogant enough to not even acknowledge it.

1 Like

UPI has destroyed their entire business model.

2 Likes

https://forum.valuepickr.com/t/great-articles-to-read-on-the-web/6765/1351?u=sai_sirish

2 Likes

Sharma claims that investing public is misunderstanding the market share metrics of PayTM super app. He says the UPI data doesn’t fully capture the size of the payment platform. RBI data on mobile banking also has figures pertaining only for PayTM Payments Bank, and the overall size of mWallet is minuscule . So, where, in the public domain, is the figure Sharma is talking about? Surely, we are all misunderstanding, because we are being misled. The PayTM super-app is a huge sandcastle built on the PayTM Payments Bank. Discerning investors should assess financials of PPBL in order to analyse One 97 Communications Ltd.

2 Likes

1 Like

Also, Paytm doesn’t hold majority stake in Paytm Payments Bank Limited (PPBL). Vijay Shekhar Sharma(VSS) owns 51% of PPBL. Ideally, in my opinion, PPBL should pay Paytm to be allowed on their platform and using their name, since it is not their wholly-owned or majority-owned subsidiary. VSS gets 51% of PPBL’s profits for doing nothing for PPBL while Paytm provides PPBL their platform.

11 Likes

@manish962 @basumallick

A lot is being discussed about Paytm here, which is already listed on the bourses. So if possible, can you move all the posts to a separate thread, even if a new thread is not initiated by any member?

5 Likes

LIC being a PSU, won’t get a PE multiple which private sector companies get.
And we can see IRFC, a PSU - ticking all the right boxes but is still bellow it’s IPO price. Can the same happen to LIC?

1 Like
1 Like

I second the above opinion. Thankyou all!!

Source Moneycontrol

2 Likes