Investment in the ancillaries, or ancillaries of ancillaries-vendors of famous companies

Much of what I write here would not be new to the experienced, wise investors. The thread is aimed at picking their brains.
When the tyre shares started booming, I made a small investment in PCBL. It produces carbon black which is an essential ingredient of tyres. That makes it ancillary ka ancillary as regards cars. I however, did not pay much attention to putting the lesson learnt in practice.
I should have remembered. During Covid, when I felt the likes of Cipla were expensive, the world and their aunt were making money by sackfuls in APIs-of which I had never heard.
I again emphasise, it may have seemed a new concept to me but after all investors have made money from batteries, and solar module makers.
Borosil Renewable is ancillary ka ancillary as the glass made by it is used in producing the solar modules.
Recently while watching videos of Atul Raval , this was again brought home to me. DDev Plastiks is into making plastic sheath for the cables.
Inspired by this I decided to explore further. Recently I read about the kavach technology. Kavach operates by automatically applying brakes to trains if the driver does not respond promptly . It uses

RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tags placed along tracks and in station yards to determine track positions and train directions

My search for RFID tag makers or RFID readers has not made much headway. I feel they deserve a look in. Any information on the related companies would be of great help.
Similarly, when studying about drones, I wondered about the parts that go into them. It seems most of them are off the shelf, majority being of Chinese make.
Or is it so?
Then I got the idea of idea of tapping into lists of vendors available on the sites of major companies. The list I have downloaded from BELL is attached.
List of BEL vendors.pdf (5.0 MB)
The idea was to find Indian, listed companies (even an unlisted company with shares available for buying would be good).
The enormity of the task may be seen by the screenshot

This list has upto now, revealed two gems to me. One is Avantel. I being technology challenged, I have not attempted much editing. Accoring to its site, “Avantel has been supporting the strategic sector since three decades and has rolled out many unique products / solutions to Indian Defence Services and allied establishments. The company in its initial years, has manufactured various building blocks of the Radios.
It is into Satellite Communications, HF Communications, Electronic Warfare and Radar systems respectively. Presently, the company is developing SCA compliant Software Defined Radios, High Power HF systems, Air Defence Radars and Small Satellites.”

Satellite Communications: Avantel is at the fore front of innovation in satellite communications, customized solutions for GSAT based Mobile Satellite Services with advanced microwave, digital wireless communications and signal processing products for military and commercial markets.

Its SATCOM Radios operate in ‘S’ and ‘UHF’ band and provides Full-duplex Voice/Data Communications between Ships, between Aircraft, Aircraft - Ship, Ship - Base, Base - Ship etc. They are presently working on solutions in X-Band / Ku-Band.
HF Communications:

They offer 1 KW and 5 KW solutions for Static and Ship borne Applications. The HF Radio operates in wideband (24 KHz) and consists of the latest state-of-art technology that includes FPGA, DSP, Direct Digital frequency synthesis, Automatic link establishment using 3G ALE (STANAG4538), 2G ALE (FED-STD 1045), Frequency hopping and customized waveform loading capability.

The HF transceivers system covers the 1.6 to 30 MHz frequency range in 1 Hz steps. Communication is possible in both simplex and half-duplex in Single Sideband (SSB), Amplitude Modulation (AM), and Digital modulation. These HF Transceivers provide the interface for high speed data and digital voice encryption using external crypto device.

Radar Systems:Thei Radar systems portfolio comprise of Radar subsystems viz. T/R modules, Exciter, DTCSG, MTCSG, Distribution unit etc in the frequency ranges of HF, UHF, L, S, C and X bands. Radar solutions as per customer specifications.
Also

• Timing and control generation
  • Power output upto 7.5KW
  • Solid state and fast switching.
  • Active array based
  • Local and remote operation."
"Network Management Systems & Application Software * NMS for Mobile Satellite Services (MSS)
  • UHF DAMA NMS
  • HF Remote Control Software
  • MMI for SATCOM Terminals installed on Aircraft, Submarines, Ships & Manpacks
  • Real Time Train Tracking and Information System
  • Radar controller
  • Automated Test Equipment Software
  • Simulation software
  • Database generation for airfield simulation
  • ERP for SME"

Embedded Systems & Digital Signal Processing:

• SCA development Environment
  • Development environment for 8/16/32 bit micro-controllers, AD/TI DSP platforms, FPGAs
  • Keil, Dynamic C, Silicon Lab, MP Lab, Code Composer Studio, Visual DSP++ for DSP Processors, Xilink Simulators (MATLAB)"
    " Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) Network

Avantel has established the MSS network for Indian Navy for providing reliable, secured, real-time, long range (1000 nautical miles from shore) voice and data communications among Ships, Submarines, Aircraft and Helios. The network comprises of indigenously designed & developed Avantel’s Earth station electronics and platform equipment.

The network has S X C and C X S links for facilitating uplink and downlink communications. Each of the user terminals specially the aircraft and submarine versions are platform specific and designed as per the specified Mil standards. The NMS and Application software has been developed in house by Avantel as per applicable standards. Avantel is the first company to roll out indigenous Airborne Satcom solutions duly approved by CEMILAC and form part of this network.

UHF SATCOM Network:The IN UHF network comprises of SATCOM plus LoS terminals for Ship borne applications and Satcom only Airborne terminals and is extensively used for Beyond Line of Sight (BLoS) operations in high Seas.

The hub electronics and user terminals have been indigenously designed, developed and deployed by Avantel on various IN ships and Aircraft.

These terminals facilitate Full-duplex voice /data communication and work in Demand Assigned Multiple Access (DAMA)/Permanent Assigned Multiple Access (PAMA) modes."

I will now abjure quoting further from the site. More equipment/parts/applications may be seen at Avantel

The Profit & Loss Account shows consistent improvement.

Risks: The operating profits are down in the two recent quarters. The P/E is 83.1 which makes it a rather expensive buy. It has also shown some downside in the recent quarters. I have not compared with any other company in the field. The effort is to find such companies.

I have taken the decline in profit, which is more likely temporary, in my stride as the share price has also fallen recently. I feel happy with the CAGR.
Compounded Profit Growth
10 Years: 51%
5 Years: 42%
3 Years: 54%
TTM: 63%
It has recently won an order.
order_intimation_21_08_2024.pdf (508.8 KB)

The other company I found is ADC Communications. ADC is into wireless communications,
https://www.adckcl.com/in/en/solutions/wireless/
as also in broadcast Solutions For - Broadcast and Entertainment - Broadcast & Entertainment
The profit loss account of the company also shows improving grediant.

The purpose of this thread is not exactly to discuss these two companies.I am still looking for makers of BLDC motors, controllers etc that go into making drones. Or of RFID tag/reader makers (to cite two examples).

The above thread is to give a start to pooling any informaation experienced/canny investors may have on how to glean out such companies. Even more importantly, whether there is any simpler way of looking for companies in a particular product.

Important point is, while the companies into final products, say drones, may be commanding astronomical valuations, their vendors may be got cheap.
Disclaimer: Made a small investment in Bartronics and Avantel.

21 Likes

Great work sir and thanks

3 Likes

Sir ji I think Macfos or robu.in also into trading of such and many morts parts used to build drone. I have a friend who is into making drone (FPVs the fast ones) he uses robu to order part and assemble them but he has to program himself the balancing and stuff.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point above.

Also great job initiating this thread ancillary ka ancillary is much needed in this competitive market.

1 Like

Thanks. So grateful.

No, you have not misunderstood. Only issue is, the .coms are not listed.

I am sure Idea Forge or Zen do not buy the propellers, controllers or the motors needed to fly these drones from these websites. So, are there any listed companies supplying these parts (atmnirbhar) or they depend on DIJ like Chinese companies?

Of course, my hope is that the thread expands and we get inputs about various sectors or companies. And hopefully, if there is a simpler way of locating such companies.

2 Likes

Hi I have gone through your write up and agree that Avantel is a good script not only from the angle of Defense Sector growth but they are equally participating in the telecommunication as well as data centre growth story. I have started accumulating this share since last year and it’s already multi-bagger for me. I personally feel it’s just the beginning of its growth story & in next 5 years, it will be a much bigger multi bagger script.

3 Likes