Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

I think yes, SHP is disclosed quarterly but bulk deals and block deals are available after they happen. And if any mutual fund has bought a stock, increased or decreased its holding, they are available after the month is over. So I think the big moves are available before the quarter ends.

1 Like

Yes. Many members of VP have approached investor relations and other departments as well and got answers. Although each case is different, as they were different companies and different people who replied.

Although what you wrote is a rather common practice, the company is not supposed to reveal any price-sensitive information privately via email/phone.

All the price-sensitive information about the company has to be available in the public domain via exchange notifications.

If a shareholder believes that there is a violation, she can file a complaint via SCORES or file a case in the Court of law.

The question was w.r.t seeking general information. And if it something that would jeopardize anything pertaining to the company, they will say so. So I guess depending on the nature of the information asked, the company may choose to provide answers or not. I think the OP did not know that VP members have done this in the past, and posted the answers they got, hence my reply.

I was just saying, the channel exists for retail investors.

A tip, use this page of old NSE site to get all corporate action details of any company

Corporate Home (nseindia.com)

Question on AGM

We get recordings and/or transcripts of concalls. Annual General Meeting (AGM) is also a platform for interaction between the management and shareholders. Do we get a recording / transcript for this meeting?

I understand that we have access to Annual reports, but I don’t find records of AGM similar to concalls.

There are transcripts available for some companies for the AGMs conducted online. 25, 30 page transcripts.

But for a physical AGM, I think there are few hurdles. A Concall is structured, to the point and an AGM is a long event which despite having a schedule may get deviated from the issue in hand, for many reasons. And there is a lot of ground to cover for the management, and the questions that could be asked by the shareholders are endless. So despite having a structure, it is also general, as the name. So I think, even if a recording or transcript is available for such physical event in its entirety, to absorb the key things will be tough, losing focus and getting lost is possible here. I don’t know if there has been a recording or transcript for the entire event.

No experience regarding AGMs, never been to one.

2 Likes

Delay in preparing financial statements

Probably a subjective question. What can one perceive from the delay in preparing financial statements? I came across this which triggered this doubt.

Bombay Burmah announced Announcements Under Regulation 30- Delay In Submission Of Financial Results As Per Regulation 33 Of SEBI (LODR) Regulation, 2015

How normal or obnormal is such delays?

1 Like

I have a peculiar problem. I am trying to access the website of Rajratan Global’s Thailand subsidiary, Rajratan Thai Wire Co. Ltd. I understand the website url is rajratan.co.th

But when I type this site address, the browser automatically redirects to the India website rajratan.co.in

So how to access the Thailand website?

I checked and couldn’t, even with a VPN.

Looks like there is no rajratan.co.th, https site or http site, it redirects to the Indian site. Although the Thai team has their email addresses with the Thai website.

I guess, you can write to them.

1 Like

You can get cached pages of “rajratan.co.th” from google search. Unfortunately, in this case, it simply shows the cached pages of “rajratan.co.in” - which perhaps imply that “rajratan.co.th” maps (or redirects) to “rajratan.co.in”.

1 Like

Fellow Investors, is there a database of all inside trades for a longer duration (say last one year)? I am not looking at the range for a particular stock but for all inside buying/selling. The one at BSE seems to provide the option but when executed only gives for a day.

I think even here it displays for a day but if you download the results in excel, it gives for all the days. Please check if that is what you want. It may not accept for too large a date range since security name will be blank.

1 Like

Hi guys, can you please tell me how to get better at technical analysis. Been facing a lot of issues.

1 .https://www.amazon.in/Technical-Analysis-Explained-Fifth-Successful/dp/0071825177

These 2 books are goldmine - you don;t need to go anywhere.

Being patient and constant practice are the keys.

Once you master these, you can try your hands in learning Elliot Waves.

4 Likes

Hi,

I want to check past history of companys market cap.i have tried screneer but it doesent have past data

pls guide where i get

@hitusohi1 We can use the export to excel option on screener.

The exported file gives us the stock price and number of shares for a given year.

Another option is to download the daily stock price data from BSE / NSE and multiply it with the number of shares from the Screener excel file and calculate the Market cap…

Hope this helps.

How do corporate actions like dividends and buybacks affect the NAV of mutual fund and price of ETF? Will that proceeds be added to their cash position and hence value accretive?

I’m averse to high dividend yielding direct equities like ITC and Vedanta due to high income tax outgo from my hand. But if mutual funds and etfs value increase through dividends of their holdings then I can invest in them.

Regarding Cash

What is the right way to find out the cash available with the company? I see Cash and Cash Equivalents in the balance sheet. There is also Reserves entry.

Can I add these two to arrive at the total cash holding with the company?

No. Cash is an asset and reserve is a liability. Basic accounting equation is Total Assets = Total Liabilities. You should look for additional cash only on the asset side of the balance sheet. As surplus Cash gets deployed in financial instruments, Bank balances and Investment are other categories to be looked at, but their nature and liquidity must be verified from respective accounting notes. Below picture may be worth 1000 words:

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. While analysing a company, should we always treat Reserves as a liability? I understand Reserves entry is part of the liabilities side of the balance sheet.

I ask this naive question since I see that some companies regularly add a portion of their earnings to reserves. It looks to me as a war chest they keep for rainy days. So I thought, for the valuation purposes, I can treat reserves as part of their cash, at least in such companies where I don’t see the correlation between the potential liabilities (pending court case) and the reserves.

Also, is there any accounting standard / regulatory requirement that prevents shifting cash that is part of assets to reserves without any specific reasoning?

I hope these questions make sense.