Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Nothing in particular but sometimes it could be useful information to have.

Hi
Can anyone suggest any spreadsheet or software where you can add all your investments. Equity bonds FDs etc. it calculates weightage etc.
And it doesn’t takes your personal data.

Hi, any easy way to calculate the portfolio CAGR/XIRR over a period of time or any app which can do the same?

1 Like

NASDAQ ETF is provided by Motilal, Kotak etc.
Any idea of USA S&P 500 ETF?
Motilal offers S&P 500 index Mutual fund, am looking for S&P 500 ETF.
Thanks.

Why are you looking for ETF? It makes little difference between fund vs ETF unless you are short term trader. Anyways, there is no S&P 500 ETF but there is S&P 500 top 50 ETF from Mirae Asset (NSE Code MASTOP50) which is almost similar.

All,
I want to buy directly from NASDAQ. I want to buy one or two company(s) and keep it for a long time (a decade at least). I am not interested in any other stock/sector since they are not from my industry. Please can you point me to an article that I must read for tax implications and the kind of hassle involved?

Regards,
Karthik

Please ignore - Found Is there any way to Buy Stocks in US market from India? - #48 by Parth_Karia

1 Like

In many finance related companies like banks, nbfc, they keep on mentionning a term called technical writeoff. How does this term differ from usual writeoffs

How to identify turn around stories? For eg., Moschip. It has started showing improvements. Or is it deceiving? Any expert views on Moschip plz?

Hello,
Can anyone help me how to understand industry-wise revenue drivers? any specific book or blog; Kindly share… Thanks

Help me to figure out good ratios for cash flow and management efficiency.

1. CFO/EBITDA = Which tells about cash collection efficiency from core operating profit.
  2. CFO/PAT = CFO need to be higher than PAT in long term which explains efficiency of co’s cash
    collection to net profit.
  3. CFO/FCF = % of cash available after capex (eg: IT co’s have higher percentage due to less capex).
  4. FCF/PAT = % of cash available for shareholders.

please correct me if any of the above information is wrong and ADD if any of the important ratios is missing.

Michael Porter’s Competitive Strategy is an outstanding book on how to understand and analyze various industries. Though it became famous for Porter’s Five Forces Model, it has much more than that. The book is not generally classified as an investment book but I think it is an absolute ‘must read’ for all investors. I have found it extremely useful in my investing journey.

5 Likes

Thank you so much
Will sure check that book.

Is it safe to invest in Navi Mutual fund? I’m attracted by the low expense ratio, especially for US index funds.
Their AUM is not much. Also they have very rapidly grown their loan book (personal loans). So if they do face NPA issues, would the mutual fund not get affected. I realize that in theory, it shouldn’t, but still want to know if it is safe.

Thanks

Are any good sources (Video or article) which provide an overview/highlights of the US market closing of that day? Basically, I want to take glimpses of the US market close in 5-10 mins via news/video etc.

Appreciate in advance any assistance.

The Maverick of Wall Street - YouTube
This channel provides a 1-hr summary at the end of the day. The video is bookmarked with initial ~30 min devoted to an overview. Using the bookmarks, you can skip to the relevant sections you are looking for, like “Market Performance”, “Commodities”, “Options” etc.

2 Likes

The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing by Pat Dorsey and
Quality Investing: Owning the Best Companies for the Long Term by Lawrence A. Cunningham
The Investment Checklist: The Art of In-Depth Research by Michael Shearn

However reading these books is only the start for analyzing an industry, you have to ascertain the revenue drivers , competitive forces etc. yourself by reading annual reports of the the big players in the industry .
Personally I find reading annual reports(more the better), concalls many times more valuable than reading investment books if you have your basics right

4 Likes

How is the earnings of a partially owned subsidiary added to the consolidated earnings of the parent company ?

Is it
a) Standalone + Subsidiary
OR
b) Standalone + (Subsidiary x percentage holding)

Question on Share Holding Pattern

Is share holding pattern reported only on quarterly basis, or is there a way to see most recent share holding pattern of a company?

Question on gathering info through investor relations

Apart from concalls, is there a way to interact with the company to gather specific info, particularly for retail investors? I wonder if emailing to investor relation personnel helps in this regard typically?

Yes. Many members of VP have approached investor relations and other departments as well and got answers. Although each case is different, as they were different companies and different people who replied.

So you can very well contact and ask your questions, and post them in the respective threads, if they exist, so that other investors can benefit too.

1 Like