Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Apart from voting rights and more dividend payout, how are dvr shares different?

is there a tool or site ? which offers Stage-Elliotwave analysis ?

Wanted to understand what this investment sold and purchased means for HDFC AMC.

Does this means simply HDFC AMC is holding short term debt papers or deposits which keeps on maturing and they keep on purchasing with any additional retained earning ?

hellos All ,

is there a way/process/book/doc anything … to identify manipulations in P&L/ balance sheets OR cash flows OR how can we define how good /genuine /OK the finance statements are … particularly for companies from microcap/smallcap OR potential multibaggers … P.S not hurry in identifying the targets but to adapt the skill to clean the financial datapoints as a learning … thanks !

Financial Shenanigans by Howard Schilit is a well-known book on accounting manipulation. At home, Dr Vijay Malik’s blog contains several ideas on how to dissect financial statements, go through the detailed company analyses of a few companies. Saurabh Mukherjee’s Diamonds in the Dust has chapters on how to detect accounting quality. Follow @BeatTheStreet10 on Twitter. Read fraud / corporate governance related threads here on ValuePIckr. There will be many other sources too but these come to mind immediately.

8 Likes

Credit Rating query:

When we say “XYZ company is AAA rated” so how is this rating different from credit ratings of loan facilities that the company has availed? Because a company may different types of loans like external commercial borrowings, fund based, non-fund based, working capital, certificates, NCDs, NCDs, etc.

For eg., the credit ratings of Reliance’s loans ranges from AAA to BBB

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/corporate-finance/fitch-affirms-reliance-industries-ratings-outlook-stable-21-09-2022
https://www.crisil.com/mnt/winshare/Ratings/RatingList/RatingDocs/RelianceIndustriesLimited_February%2023,%202022_RR_288458.html

https://www.crisil.com/mnt/winshare/Ratings/RatingList/RatingDocs/FirstBusinessReceivablesTrust_July%2028,%202023_RR_323734.html

https://www.crisil.com/mnt/winshare/Ratings/RatingList/RatingDocs/RelianceIndustriesLimited_October%2012,%202023_RR_327963.html

I had read that only two companies are AAA rated (Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson) but as seen above even Reliance is rated AAA so why is Reliance not included as AAA rated?

https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/sectors/sp500-companies-cling-to-aaa-rating-as-u-s-risks-being-a-deadbeat/

thanks a ton for inputs :slight_smile:

1 Like

It says, only 2 companies from S&P 500 companies are AAA rated, so I guess it doesn’t include Indian companies in it

okay, but still I want to understand the difference between “company ratings” and company’s “loan ratings”.

hellos ,

in simple terms I believe , debt is meant to put back in business so rational is to grow the business activity … however pledging can be for personal reasons & Neither management approval is needed Nor pledging needed to put in accounts .

Hi all,

A question not related to investing but still somewhat related.

Considering the long time spent reading and researching an opportunity, which laptop is the best for eyesight?

Is there anyone who prefers printing out material before reading? Please share your perspective as well.

Thanks!

As far as I know, there are two categories of ratings.

1. Issuer Rating
This is a rating assigned to the entire organization. E.g. Rating that indicates the ability of Reliance Industries to pay off all its lenders as per debt covenants (terms and conditions). Typically the average credit rating of all bonds is approximately the rating of the entire organization.

2. Issue Rating
This is a rating assigned to a specific debt issued by the issuer. E.g. Rating that indicates the ability of Reliance Industries to pay off ONLY that specific debt issued as per debt covenants.

Let’s say a company has raised debt using two bonds of 100 each. Lets call them bond A and bond B. Let’s say, one bond A is “senior” to bond B. It means that in an event the company is unable to pay off its bonds, it will have to sell its assets (property, plant, land, etc.). Holders of Bond A will have first claim to the assets followed by holders of Bond B. So, ceteris paribus, it is possible that during bad times, Bond B will have a poor credit rating than Bond A.

Hope it helps.
Mahesh

1 Like

Use the LG Gram 17 inches and keep the font size relatively larger. It’s extremely light also besides being huge

1 Like

Hello All,

I wanted to understand how to think of tax loss carry forward. Below I have the P&L of Tata Motors. As we can see that the company did not make money from 2018 to 2022 and had a negative net profit. Some were due to write-offs.

Will the tax losses be offset against the profit that the company generates ? If yes, how long can they use the losses as an offset ? What are the categories of losses that cannot be offset ?
Usually which quarter of a financial year benefits the most from such offset considering advance tax etc.?
In such conditions can we consider the PBT as a better proxy to calculate various valuation metric ?

Also any good resource which I could read to get better clarity of the topic. I am not from a finance background, but learning.

Thank You
Gourab

1 Like

If you are considering longer hours, with a lot to read, then the bigger the monitor the better, as we can keep the font bigger, and can see a lot of information at once, without the need of scrolling often. And, I think the brightness should be decreased, so that eyes are not strained. And one can look at desktop monitors too, because they come in bigger sizes, which help with reading.

I am not too sure if anyone prints pages, as there will be hundreds of pages one looks at when investing, but some members do write with a pen, prepare notes, so maybe they print some pages, the important ones.

2 Likes

This is what I have done. Using HDMI cable, laptop is connected to bigger screen , so no need of frequent scrolling and big fonts. Only disadvantage is, you cant read while laying down like while using tab. You have to compulsorily sit in a chair.
Printing is a absolute No…We have to think of environment too and also about future generations too.

3 Likes

Hi All,

A question regarding stocks Ownership by FII and DII:

“Is Your Stock Overowned by Institutions?” is a question posed by William O’Neil in his book ‘‘How To Make Money In Stock Market’’

FII (52%) and DII (30%) now together own approx 82% of HDFC Bank among themselves.
What kind of double edge sword can this be for the HDFC Bank investors ?
Could someone share their thoughts ?

After HDFC got merged with HDFC Bank, lot of FII & DII have more HDFC bank shares than they would like. Most of them may have internal limits and can not hold more than 10% in a single stock. so some of them may off load and hence pressure on its share price short term.

Also promoter group has earlier ~25%, which seems now moved under FII & DII

1 Like

What would be the best way to get more information on company’s growth plan, reasons for drop or increase in top line, capex etc if the company does not do concalls or issue company quarterly presentation?

Thanks in advance

By comparing past annual reports and comparing data

1 Like