Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

hi

How to know the value of work contracts/ Future order book of a company through NSE or any other valid resource. Please discuss.

Thanks and Regards

I feel that I got the answer.
They have to pay 25 percent upfront.

Link

1 Like

Hi all, if a bank is able to take care of all its advances growth through its depositā€™s growth. And letā€™s say its advances growing 25 % and its deposits in Same Range. Does it still need to raise funds through QIP or debt separately?

Debt - No need.
Equity(QIP,rights issue,ā€¦) - Depends on the RoE profile of the bank. If bankā€™s post dividend PAT against equity at start of the period(RoE) is 25%, then no need. Because your Equity does not raise with the speed of the asset growth, then D/E starts inching up, after some point they will be forced to raise equity capital

See Gruh, they have grown at a crazy speed, but still have not raised equity capital for very long time. Main reason their RoE match loan growth

2 Likes

Question:

Does anyone know of a tool similar to the old Google Finance? In case you arenā€™t aware, the old Google Finance historical stock price chart marked every significant event related to the stock along the x-axis: news stories, dividends, resultsā€¦ Is there any tool similar to that for Indian markets? Hope screener includes these features some day.

Edit:

@pratyushmittal @ayushmit @Parthgarg can we have this feature in screener please? What could be the drawbacks?

1 Like

Question -

I am a new investor. I donā€™t have a lot of cash in my hand right now for investment. Does it make sense if I donā€™t invest a large sum but 30,000 to 40,000 per stock in a month? I can invest in 1-2 stocks in a months per month as per the market situation. I would look at the technicals and fundametals while making the investment.

I wanted to ask this because I am skeptical about SIP investments because you keep on investing your money every month in funds even at their all time high NAVs. This could result in lower overall returns. SIP is simpler but will give you a limited returns.

Investing in MF and stocks are 2 different things, SIP or otherwise.

SIP is MF is due to the reason of not timing the market, which is time consuming to certain extent, and the investor may feel to not invest and wait, citing high valuations or low valuations, and as such, he may miss certain periods of time, which may impact the overall return. So, invest irrespective of the levels of the market, irrespective of the valuations, at regular intervals. There have been some articles, studies done on SIP or other ways yielding results, one can look at them to see the differences, if there are any.

SIP in stocks is different, one can look at business, valuation, chart and take decisions, which need not be at regular intervals. Even, if one wants to build a position in a stock, it need not be at regular intervals, there are many ways to do it depending upon a lot of things, say market falls in a particular week, and the stock falls by 10% in the same period, and this could be an buying opportunity. Many ways to do this.

1 Like

If you are a new investor, how are you sure enough that you will earn more than the index?

I think you should put your ability to test first by investing some amount in mutual fund and some amount in stocks of your choice over atleast one bear and bull cycle.
SOIC tells us to test our ability at least for few years in comparison with the mutual fund.

For reference, I currently invest only 25 percent in direct stocks, because I am not completely confident of my ability. I have recently decided to increase that percentage. I have started investing in mutual funds in the late 2019. Direct stock investing in mid 2021.

How do you know that a mutual fund NAV is at all time high?

Except maybe smallcap mutual funds, being tactical in mutual funds does not help much.

My selection criteria for a good mutual fund for your reference ā†’

1. AUM is not too high
  2. Managers is good and can invest in all caps
  3. Change in AUM due to fresh money is not high as there are not many good ideas every month to invest into.
  4. Low beta(should not take too much risk) when compared to the alpha
    I prefer the Parag parikh tax saver fund.

Refer to this ā†’ https://www.valueresearchonline.com/stories/46232/sips-and-the-temptation-to-time-the-market/
In even psychology of money, it is written how by regular SIP you can get a better returns than timing your SIP.

Finally to your question
You will learn it in your journey and it is investor dependent.
For reference, I like keeping my SIP on until and unless, I see some opportunity and skip my SIP to invest in direct stocks that month.
I have also planned to keep less than 10 percent in fixed assets to invest in company directly when I donā€™t find many good ideas and to keep the allocation to direct stocks at least to the minimum defined.

Disclosure - I can be too stupid at times and take this advice with the pinch of salt and sugar maybe.

2 Likes

I do have monthly SIPs as well & Parag Parikh being one of the funds in them. I do also have a few stocks in my watchlist and waiting for some margin of safety for example 15% - 20% price correction. It isnā€™t exactly a stock SIP but investing everytime in a certain high growth stocks of my preference whenever there is a good price correction.

I have been investing in MFs for slightly less than 2 years & absolute returns are around 11%. I have recently started researching and studying about direct stocks. SOIC being one of the main sources of my study. Although I am not 100% confident to beat the index or even emulate MF returns. I am not averse to risk taking and just trying to expirement for say next 2-3 years how much returns can I gather by investing directly in stocks.

Thank you so much for your inputs. It makes more sense if I invest in both SIP & direct stocks and evalaute their returns after a few years. It will give me more confidence in terms of what would be my ideal investment option.

1 Like

This Israel-Palestine conflict is a new development. And Israel has declared a state of war.

How to know which companies have major business revenues in Middle East ?

2 Likes

I acknowledge and understand opportunities lie for market participants even in times like these, but war is not an act of God, it is created by man, and as with all wars, there is loss of human life, including civilians.

If you are already an investor, you wouldnā€™t have asked this question, presumably you are not, and I would not deny that, this too is learning and if participated, experience is gained, not to mention financial gain, if it happens. I am a speculator myself, trying to learn the tropes of shorting and would like to have opportunities on both sides. But I guess, we can hold our horses for a little while here.

If that is Buddha in your DP, then I guess it makes even more sense.

1 Like

There are 6000 companiesā€¦And I would like to keep my money in safest bets to choose within 15-20 companies. And itā€™s always better to be grounded, than to become off the reality.

And itā€™s a learning experience on how to retrieve info on where are the geographical areas that oneā€™s company is invested. One should know about it.

1 Like

No one is denying the effect such incidents have on the markets. If one is an investor in a company that caters to foreign geographies, he will know, may not be the exact % of business, but regions the company caters to. An investor knows, a trader not necessarily. Your question seemed like you are not an investor, and it that you were looking for an opportunity, hence I said that.

Everything is a learning experience in the markets. There are many businesses that have significant export revenue, and in threads of those businesses, members post links of many different websites addressing many issues.

2 Likes

You will come to know that from individual companiesā€™ annual reports only. There is no such screener yet developed which can screen as per geographies served. Moreover, this is dynamic situation. Some companies get some orders from some countries, and may be they are just one time orders. Also even if a company is overspread in a particular geography, they are well versed to counteract such situations and if quality of company is good, they will come out as winner. So from risk point of view, if your original selection of companies is top notch, then you need not worry about such situations. Good management will come out successful.

2 Likes

My question is I tend to avoid the companies Price to sales Ratio is above 5 . Is the P/S getting shows on Screener is misleading? Can companies mislead the P/S ratio ? How to use Cashflow in conjunction to derive P/S ?

When dividends are paid, what date should be taken for consideration for tax purposes? Announcement date/Record date/Actual dividend credit in bank acc date?

I have been using the credited dates of the FY of which I am filing the taxes for, and there has been no problem until now.

hi,

How to get sector P/E in a particular case?

You can just take average of top 5 to 10 companies of a particular sector.

I would recommend using the Taxpayer Information Report or Annual Information Report generated by IT-Dept. You can access it by login to IT Efiling website.
It gives a true blue picture and avoids difference with IT Dept collated nos.

1 Like