IDFC First Bank Limited

I am holding the acount and requested for personal loan .They didnt even call me back.i know they wont call becoz margins are less on personal loans

I agree it is a problem but we have no way of telling if it is widespread, in the worst case RBI or consumer courts will impose a fine.

I’m not a customer of any products but I have downloaded the apps and tried clicking around, EMI payment still goes to capital first links, that is the reason I said it is still in flux. As a result the systems might not be in sync, building a software ecosystem takes time and merging two different systems is even harder.

The only thing investors can do is wait and watch.

1 Like

Can someone explain how credit card system works from a bank’s perspective? Specifically after how long does it start delivering profits once they start offering? I presume it will be loss making initially due to discounts provided to attract customers.

I always pay off mine each cycle so I have no idea how credit cards make money for the bank, except the fact that they charge merchants for transactions but that can’t be the only source.

1 Like

Sorry I realized I could just search for it - https://www.quora.com/How-do-banks-make-money-from-credit-cards

But it would be very helpful if someone from the industry can add to these answers.

1 Like

They aren’t issuing loans to people who aren’t requesting them, there is more to the story. IDFC Bank has partnered with both Flipkart and Amazon for their Pay Later service, as a result when a customer opens a Pay Later account with one of these companies they are issued a credit line which shows up on the CIBIL report even if it’s not being used. Most folks don’t realize that this pay later service from Amazon or FK is actually offered by IDFC and get confused when they see IDFC on their CIBIL reports. Most of the complaints on social media are about this and not about getting unsolicited loans say like personal loans etc. Infact if you goto the IDFC Bank website and are a new customer you will see its not so easy to get something like a personal loan without going through a detailed vetting process.

13 Likes

They are doing something similar with Cred too, see the fourth picture here https://twitter.com/indianrockers/status/1334037709308870656?s=19

4 Likes

I’m glad they invested more time and money on innovative next gen solutions like these than on credit card market which is already crowded all over the world.

On the face of it it looks like the bank is only focusing on some markets but is silently firing on all fronts. It won’t be long before we see a full fledged new age bank.

2 Likes

Nice video of on-ground rural operations, not sure why it’s in a random channel.

You can see why the bank has higher employee count per branch and high number of micro ATMs still in use.

4 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 8 hours.

Idfc first bank is associated with ziploans also…

2 Likes

Interesting move. Does go to show that they are actively looking to reduce cost of funds while focusing on people opening savings accounts.

The above shows that now balances above 1Cr will be given lesser interest.

12 Likes

this will reduce overall interest expenditure and will increase no of savings accounts

MOF_Data (2).xlsx (107.1 KB)

This is excel downloaded from RBI website. It is showing number of IDFC First bank branches more than 680.

2 Likes

Does anyone know what kind of terms or agreements are involved in such partnerships? Just wondering if this is a net positive for the bank since it has more expertise in lending to MSMEs.

One benefit I can think of is operational costs will be borne by ZipLoan but that won’t mean much if too many loans become NPAs, unless they provide some sort of a guarantee? Partnering with CRED gives the bank access to high credit worthy borrowers but why ZipLoan?

1 Like

IDFC Bank Edel notes Dec 20.pdf (957.7 KB)

Edelweiss hosted management of IDFC First Bank (IDFCB) at the India e-Conference 2020, Asia Pacific.

5 Likes

This report has basic facts wrong for example look at their net interest margin figure. It’s closers to 5% in the results and presentation whereas edelweiss is saving its 3%.

2 Likes

I read above report and also banking sector report published by Edelweiss and referred in this report.
https://www.edelweissresearch.com/Research/Download/6731 (Oct 2020) and https://www.edelweissresearch.com/Research/Download/6032 (July 2020).

There estimates about NPA for IDFCFB bank seem incorrect. Estimates for NIM are also way lower than current level of NIM and expected trajectory. These two estimates will have huge sensitivity to profit and hence book value in coming years. Once bank’s ROE and book value start trending upward book value multiple will follow similar trend.

Their estimates were pessimistic in July 2020 report and later revised in Oct 2020 for entire sector which is ok but I was surprised to see spelling mistakes from July 2020 report repeated in Oct 2020 report.

Oct 2020 report even got networth(FY20) for IDFCFB as 20bn instead of 153bn cr on page 12. Due to this error all further numbers in the IDFCFB column are totally incorrect. Most ridiculous of this is haircut to book value of 208%. This number is illogical and clear outlier from haircut to BV of other banks. Seems like very sloppy work.

Looking at the history of their price target for IDFCFB, I would take these reports with big chunk of salt.

5 Likes

IDFC Bank is also issuing credit cards for Onecard

3 Likes

Mostly old stuff about low tax rates for MSMEs but in the last 5 minutes he mentions collections at 95-98% and talks about the state of economy.

The bank released a new net banking app which appears to be positively received by customers https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idfcfirstbank.optimus

And it looks like they are really pushing the referral system https://twitter.com/IDFCFIRSTBank/status/1339171496262942720. Even saw the post on LinkedIn, fun fact - follower count of the bank on LinkedIn is higher than Kotak Bank, due to Vaidyanathan’s popularity? Anyway it is a good sign because it means the bank doesn’t have to look too hard for talent.

14 Likes