How to register with SEBI as a Research Analyst?

There are other courses that might fulfill the eligibility criteria, but I am not quite aware of the alternatives.

Thank you very much, i will try my luck with ignou

I would suggests CFA too. The course is great, very practical and focused on investment. Basically there are three levels. The subjects include.

1. Financial Statement Analysis
  2. Fixed Income
  3. Equity Valuation
  4. Derivatives
  5. Quantitative Methods
  6. Portfolio Management
  7. Alternative Investments
  8. Economics
  9. Ethics

On top of that in Level 2 and Level 3 they have included Practical skill module for Financial Modelling too.

To get the final charter you need to have a on job experience of some hours too.

So by the time you finish it, you would really be a pro (atleast academically)

Good luck!

1 Like

How many years will it take to complete entire cfa?

1 Like

Level I and II exams happen thrice a year as of now that is May, Aug and Nov and level 3 is twice. Suppose you start studying in Nov and take the exam in May for level 1 and then take level 2 exam in Nov and level 3 exam in May of next year. So in One and half year or so you would be done. The curriculum is interesting and value adding.

To pass all these exams how much hours per can be sufficient?

CFA website says around 300 hours for each level. As per my experience 4-5 months (studying couple of hours a day) are good for level 1 and 2. I am yet to enroll for level 3. So I cant say.

Thanks for the information

Lavanya,

May I request you to create a new thread on “How to get your CFA”.

Regards,
Ashish Arole

1 Like

It seems NISM [Academics - National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM)] offers some courses,which are directed to become RA/IA, that are ~ 1Yr. duration, but they require physical presence. As far as I could search, IGNOU have no similar courses.

Thank you for the information. I have to ask this, even though it is a very basic question. How difficult is this course, especially for people like me with no background in finance? I have a healthy appetite for reading but my last academic venture was in the previous century, since then I pursued a career in an entirely unrelated field.

I have received confirmation mail from SEBI that my RA license has been granted to me so how can i download my certificate?

2 Likes

Even I do not have any finance background. If you are passionate about investing, its actually quite interesting and wont be a problem at all. If you find it tough you can check “fintree”. They provide prep for CFA exam. I personally did not take any prep for Level 1, however a month before exam I hopped upon their youtube channel which had a free crash course kind of thing, and then I realised that I would have saved a lot of time had I taken the prep for level 1. So for level 2 I decided to take their prep. Being on a job it makes thing quite easy. Personally I felt that syllabus for level 1 was a shade tougher than level 2. But nothing rocket science. All you need is elementary mathematics, common sense and passion about investing.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I am motivated to have a go at it.

Check this video. It will help

Many folks who wish to become RA are curious to know about the courses that can be done from remote and in the shortest duration.

Below details might be of help:

1- What’s the required qualification in the SEBI Regulations? [SEBI | Securities and Exchange Board of India (Research Analysts) Regulations, 2014 [Last amended on August 03, 2021]]

2- Who provides such courses at a reasonable price and from remote? IGNOU provides certain 1 Yr. courses (Highlighted the most relevant one) [Link: Programmes at IGNOU - PG Diploma]:

3- Are these recognized? Yes. By NAAC.

3- How to enroll? Admissons open in January and July. Finer details at:

Note: Shared as per personal understanding of the SEBI regulations. Someone can validate and revert for everyones benefit.

2 Likes

There is also a PGP course of 15 months that is online classroom, weekend course - PGP(PM/IA/RA) - National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM) this years admission last date was in March. I joined this last year.

2 Likes

@Ferrari1976 can we go with this course?

I did something very similar, so I believe this would work.

@Ferrari1976

Do institutional SEBI registrations exist, and it can employ some analysts, who don’t have to have individual RA registration but provide advisory services under the registration of its registered employer? Or individual RAs can form a company and provide advisory services?