How to register with SEBI as a Research Analyst?

@Ferrari1976 Great informative thread. However seems like IGNOU has stopped the online program and is now offering a one year program PGDIFM offline.

Most of the queries are answered here, but since every case is unique - I’d like to DM/speak with you before i proceed.

My background:
BE in IT (Mumbai)
MS in CS (USA)
Worked as a developer (Sony, Goldman Sachs in US)
Worked as a product manager, SPM (Jio, Tata Sky, Priceline in Mumbai)

Very interested in equity research, hence came up with the idea to explore Sebi registered RA

But i don’t have any finance degree like you & few others who have written above.

Deadline for IGNOU Course is: 31st Jan 2024. With less than a week, its a little rush

Hope to hear back

Could you please guide on what things we need to write for infrastructure description if we give proof of rental agreement for office space?

Any and every infrastructure you will need to perform your RA duties should be listed here. It might be office, hardware, software, subscriptions, website, etc.

My qualifications are B.Com and LLB. Am I eligible to register myself with SEBI as a research analyst?"

Not unless you have 5 years of relevant experience.

Else you need a post graduate degree in finance or markets.

1 Like

"I have been a partner in a firm since 2011. This firm is empanelled with banks as a “DSA” (Direct Selling Agency) for selling their products such as home loans and loans against property. Does this make me eligible to register as a research analyst?

If you believe your experience is what SEBI will accept as “relevant” experience i.e. matching the tasks a typical RA would do, you are eligible. Only you know what your experience is and how that maps on to the job responsibilities of RA. Of course, you will have to convince SEBI on the same.

any other courses for Research analyst for job any one knows please guide me

Hey - I have dropped the decision of getting a SEBI RA certification. I had enrolled into the ignou course as suggested by @Ferrari1976 and have got the books, if anyone needs the books kindly reach out to me

want to know still ignou provides work from home courses?

Yes they still do offer distance learning where you can do a self study from home and give exams

Hi Ashish,

Thank you for the detailed explanations on the registration process. It is really informative. I am also looking to get registered as research analyst. Do u have any sample formats of those declarations and those policies that have to be uploaded. Could you please help me out. It would be really helpful. Thank you in advance.

Poonam

Hi, I want to become an analyst. I am neither an MBA, nor do I have a relevant certificate or diploma. But I have several years of experience as a professional and a Master’s degree. How can I start from the scratch? I can enroll in an online program, if it is advisable. I wish to do fundamental analysis like a real pro.:slightly_smiling_face:
Advice and suggestions requested

SEBI has included all the required declarations in the Manual for RAs. When you start your application process, you will have access to the manual.

SEBI qualification is one aspect, another is the learning you get from the course you select. Further, if you have any inclination of being an RIA or starting your PMS, an MBA is mandatory.

Essentially select the course considering all aspects rather than just being compliant to the regulations, especially since you want to get in to fundamental analysis.

Thank you. I want to pursue it as a hobby and for my own portfolio decisions. I follow my instincts for investing but I want to make the process logical and based on fundamental analysis. Could you please suggest a good online course I can pursue?
Grateful

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any courses apart from the one I did, which now has be shut down.

If you are doing it for ONLY your own investments (and not for RA registration), you need not go for the degree but for the learning.

In that case studying the CFA material might be a very good start along with Prof. Damodaran’s courses on YouTube.

1 Like

is the course closed?
I have completed btech now i want to do pg diploma course like you did
Is there any other way to do from home

Thank you very much. Which course did you complete and why is it not available any more? Just curious to know more about this universe

1 Like