Hitesh portfolio

Hi Valuepickr Members,

Can somebody please upload if available

Where Are the Customers’ Yachts: or A Good Hard Look at Wall Street

heard good things about this book …

Regards

Sameer

Dear valuepickr’s have uploaded some of the books ongoogle drivewhich includes Dorsey (Point and Figure ) and Charlie’s Almanack. You can download the books from there.

mail id - valuepickr.downloads@gmail.com Link: mailto:valuepickr.downloads@gmail.com

password - share@valuepickr

Please upload the new books and useful data on investing there. We can declutter valuepickr.

Guys you can log in to the id and send a mail to the same id requesting others to upload the book/notes. Or you can mail from your id.

Hitesh Bhai,

The market mood is pensive but I feel that with the announcement of LS elections date the markets will settle and rise from there. Till thattime everyone can only hope that the rupee does not plunge further. However these are times when we can pick great stocksat great prices.

I would be immensely grateful if you can shareyour thoughts on the opportunities that seem great considering a 1.5-2 yrs outlook.

Regards,

Rajarshi

Dear Hiteshji:

Would you advice trimming down positions/holding even for good companies discussed on this forum.

Some ppl are of opinion that given the circumstances, it is possible to see nifty below 4700-4800 this year.

In that event , even goodcompaniesmay show lower prices.

My goal is not to spread anything like fear. Just trying to be nimble.

Thanks

hi all,

I have been receiving many emails from various guys on how to face a market correction… What my experiences were during earlier corrections and how I went about it.

Its always painful facing a market correction of the type and magnitude we are facing especially for those who have not faced it before or for those who have a high percentage of their networth into equities and their chosen stock picks are going down with markets…

There is no fixed holy grail for facing these corrections…

Just to put the chronology of the current market in perspective…

First of all there was a strong rally from around 08-09 which was punctuated by some sharp corrections off and on. Most of the guys made good money in the initial phase of this rally… Post initial rallies, most of the stocks that ran on the general bull market stalled and often corrected… e.g stocks of real estate, metals, infra, power etc where those who managed to pick the bottom or near bottom prices made huge gains and now these gains seems to be getting wiped out.

Next phase of rally was a stock picker’s delight where we at valuepickr had our own share of multibaggers like astral, ajanta, kaveri, accelya, avanti, oriental carbon, balkrishna, mayur, to name a few… But this phase of market is characterised by a very selective few stocks outperforming the indices significantly… If you look at MF returns they would be negligible to nil during this period…

Next came the euphoria phase where the cyclicals like oriental and small caps like muthoot capital and atul auto and things like those ran up very sharply… That should have been a warning sign for us of impending doom… But that is in hindsight…

And then since around Nov 12 or so it seems the markets were held up artificially by manipulating a few stocks like itc, HUL, infy, tcs etc where these went up or rested and most of other stocks stalled or corrected…

And since past couple of months there have been all kinds of scams, bad news, dollar woes, interest rate fears, govt policy decisions …to compound the problems and provide impetus to the sharp correction… Which seems to be going on and on…

There was a similar correction somewhere in May-June 06 which was very very sharp and cut a lot of guys very badly…This was a very very short lived but damaging correction and the current market reminds me of that kind of correction… But look what followed…A dream bull run from 06-08…

Coming to the current correction and where it can end or where it is still headed, one has to think that we are in a bear market and make a strategy to face it… None of the corrections are one sided…there will always be periods of counter trend rallies post these corrections…

Next question is whether one is fully invested, partially invested or totally in cash.

If one is fully invested, one has to adopt a strategy of selective selling on rallies. Selling after 4-6 weeks of sharp correction may not make sense… If at all one wants to sell, try to sell on rallies… These rallies usually are in the high beta stocks like metals, banks, and future and option stocks due to oversold nature of markets. Usually there is a period of rally of 2-4 weeks post a correction of 8-10-12 weeks of sharp cut… This usually happens in typical bear market.

The other and saner alternative and which is advocated by most investment gurus is to bear the pain and remain fully invested.

If you are partially in cash then try to add more to stocks u like at different levels…

If you are in a happy state of being fully or near fully in cash, try to buy dips, book partial profits and wait for next dip to buy again…or else build a strong multi year portfolio of high conviction stocks…

What I did in 08-09 when I was a very newbie investor and got very very lucky was concentrate on only three stocks which I had identified as those I liked…Parekh aluminex… I bought first tranche at 175 after reading a hidden treasure recommendation and watched the stock go down to 40 odd levels and even managed to buy at those levels…was enthused by promoter buying at each level which increased my confidence… Plus business was simple, results every quarter was fantastic… Next was TTK prestige which I bought around 120-140 levels …I was perplexed how such a stock was stuck in such a tight range of 115-120 on downside and 140-160 on upside for such a long time… (similar feeling is there for kaveri…) …Third stock was lakshmi overseas or lakshmi energy and foods…i managed to latch on to it at around 70 and kept buying it… By this time I had sold off all my loss positions and kept buying these three stocks… Post the election results in 09 and upper circuit etc… these stocks gradually rose and gave multibagger returns… In hindsight ttk was a great business to own and parekh aluminex and lakshmi energy were below average businesses… But I was looking only at quarterly results which kept on coming good… And I was plain lucky to get great returns on my bets…

After that came the period of stock picking which I described earlier and the learning on TED and valuepickr from guys like basant maheshwari, donald francis , ayush mittal, vinod ms, and many other valuepickr and TED friends… That was followed by a very satisfying stock picking and profiting journey…

Where one should buy and where markets will form bottom or how long this correction will last is anybody’s guess…QUOTING LATEST UPDATE FROM VIVEK PATIL…HE SAYS MARKETS WILL CORRECT TILL FEB-MARCH 14 IN THIS DOWNWAVE… AND LEVELS HE SAYS ARE SOMEHWERE CLOSE TO 15000. From Nov 12 till now he has got things right but there is no guarantee that he will always be right…Nobody can consistently predict markets correctly…

The only thing thats left for us is to pick good stocks and stick to them or keep buying dips if u have money. everyone is scared…darr sabhi ko lagta hai…Even i Feel scared when I see good banks like hdfc bank being hit hard…

Coming to what to buy … I am bullish on kaveri seeds, unichem, hawkins, hdfc bank, indusind, gruh, PI inds, polymedicure etc at current levels and page, astral , other compounders etc on corrections… There will be lots of other good stock stories to be picked up…

Most sharp corrections are fertile grounds for picking and nurturing multibaggers… Most of the times these will come out from relatively unsung and unknown good companies which have kept showing good growth inspite of great balance sheets and adverse circumstances…

One advise is to do good homework before zeroing on to a stock pick and try and understand what the company does, how it is going to grow etc etc… and develop one’s own confidence and conviction in the stock … and then all that remains is to buy them right and sit tight and pray…:slight_smile:

Best of luck to all … Hope this longish write up helps …

regards

hitesh.

8 Likes

Sirji,
You have probably told all that you experienced as an investor.The division was very interesting (& I will try to apply it on other markets as well.Just as an exercise) Its always heartening to know that seasoned guys also get scared,it brings in a sense of familiarity :slight_smile: I am holding back purchases since it seems we will get a lot of time to buy our Favs.
Very assuring & helpful post for me.
Rgds. :slight_smile:

Thank you Hitesh for your detailed write up from experience. It has helped me formulate a strategy to wait and watch.

Thanks a lot Hitesh Bhai for sharing your views. Its great help to newbies like us who haven’t seen market cycles.

Regards,

Ankit

thanku hitesh paaji for sharing your thoughts… We are eagerly waiting for your next find

Regards

mallikarjun

Please correct my observation:

Although looking at indices fall many comparing this with 2009 moves, I am not seeing any carnage in midcap and small cap stocks. Just banks and largecap stocks are falling.

It means either FII selling OR real carnage(when midcap and small cap start falling heavily) yest to come(when we may not see much fall in indices).

I mean just becauze indices have fallen, it may not be right time to buy small/midcap stocks.

Please correct if my observation is wrong!!

When I was new in market in 2009 … I have seen many smart investors who were fully invested in stocks in journey of Sensex fall from 21K to 13K and had no further money to invest when Sensex fallen from 13Kto 8K .

Though by 2011 many of them made multibaggers even after purchasing many stocks before Sensex breaches level of 13000 in 2008.

At that time in 2009 I thought they were fools as they are not able to take advantage of low price stocks. Now I realized its SO HARD to predict levels when u put money from ur own pocket, because indices an fall to unbelievable level in true bear market OR fall can turned out to be just bull market correction … who knows

Hi Hitesh,

where we can find vivk patil’s periodic technical updates?

QUOTING

Hitesh bhai,

Thanks a ton for the reply. I was taken down by fever yesterday and could not reply. Two things that are my takeaways from your mail and which has increaded my conviction:

1.The other and saner alternative and which is advocated by most investment gurus is to bear the pain and remain fully invested.

2.The only thing thats left for us is to pick good stocks and stick to them or keep buying dips if u have money.

One more thing Unichem is showing a strong resistance in this bear market.Promoter buying on 7th aug reinforces the belief.Thanking you again for your guidance

Regards,

Rajarshi

Hitesh,

Thanks for the much needed guidance for all the fellow valuepickrs. It does make sense to hold good stocks and wait. Also sell all the weaker stocks on the rally and wait for the correction to deploy it. I was just trying to recall all the falls I had experienced right from 1990s. During the recent bear market in 2008, I can recall buying ICICI Bank between 265-280. I was fortunate to have nearly 35% cash. I started deploying from the levels of 14000 sensex slowly. I had invested the largest chunk on 27th oct 2008 into the mutual fund and then did SIP for the next 6 months. Those were the multibagger MF investments for me. I am not lucky this time as I had not more than 15% cash(meant for the equity investment) which already invested in the recent fall. Although I have sufficient cash for the debt investment and I am putting in the FMPs which are yielding around 10.2 to 10.5%.

**_

I ** stocks.Please _

wrong!!**
** samir s, It all depends upon stock selection… People have made good money even while buying good companies while markets were nearer to top… e.g VST tillers was a great buy nearer to 330 odd levels… now its 410 or so… Thats more than 20% upside when markets are down 10%. KPIT cummins is up from around 80-90 levels to cmp of around 130… hexaware is up from 75-80 levels to 115-120 levels. … These are significant returns in the backdrop of the current correction… Same with infy at around 2200 levels and now cmp 3000 odd. There will be many more and even currently there might be opportunities which are screaming buys and will provide superlative returns but one has to be keen to find such stocks at attractive prices. Its no use generalising a formula for investments… **

Hiteshji:

Thank you for answering my several question in the past.

Your views in previous posts suggest page is yet to come( better levels).

Around what price range is target?

thank you

time to buy

Page seems a good buy around current levels of 4000-4100… Can be added more if it declines further… But one has to think of long term in case of page bcos short term moves between 4000-4500 have been frequent…

Dear Hitesh

Do you have any views on Gujarat Gas? Dividend yield is more than 10%. Is it sustainable?

Ashwin

Previously Ashwin Patel wrote

Last year was not normal. BG was scouting for buyers and they were generous with special dividend.

Hitesh Bhai,

How should one be buying stocks now? How should one avoid the temptation of buying your favourite stock at a pretty low price when one knows that it might fall further and one wont have cash then? What is your view about the market? How much downside do you see from here?

Regards,

Ankit